Lochee United 1
Dundee 4

Lochee Utd 

1 - 4


Saturday, August 3rd, 2013
Thomson Park
1:00 PM Kick-off

Voigt (77) Steven Doris (50)
Craig Wighton (61)
Martin Boyle (69)
Steven Doris (82)

Team Managers
Unknown. John Brown

Starting Eleven
Dan Twardzik .27
James Thomson .21
Cammy Kerr .30
Matt Lockwood .3
Willie Dyer .5
Gary Irvine .2
Jamie McCluskey
Jamie Reid .22
Martin Boyle .23
Craig Wighton .33
Steven Doris .16

Calum Brodie
Ben Sivewright
Calvin Colquhoun
Lee Cameron

Percy for Ritchie (60)
Smith for Hagan (60)
Voigt for Blackwood (60)
Robertson for Beedie (60)
Brand for Gates (74)
Petrie for Clark (74)
Waits for Gallagher (74)
Fraser for Cavanagh (74)
Ben Sivewright for Cammy Kerr (78)
Calvin Colquhoun for Jamie McCluskey (80)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee ran out comfortable 4-1 winners in this afternoon's friendly at Thompson Park. However, the Dark Blues had to work hard to break the Bluebells down with all the goals coming in the second half. United came closest to scoring in a keenly contested first half, but goals from the Dark Blue front three settled the game after the break. Steven Doris scored twice while Craig Wighton and Martin Boyle claimed one each. Former Dundee youth player Jon Voigt provide the Bluebells' consolation goal.

John Brown sent out a strong team, packed with players from the first team pool, plus a trialist goalkeeper. However, only Matt Lockwood had started Wednesday's game against Rangers, and only Gary Irvine started the Ramsden's Cup tie at Alloa, which illustrates the depth of pool that the Dee now have. Jamie McCluskey played for 80 minutes as a trialist, looking strong and fit after his appalling injury problems over the last year.

Dundee fielded three up front for the whole match, which ensured that the strikers got plenty of game time. However, the three man midfield was outnumbered by Lochee's five men, which meant that the strikers were often starved of service in the first half as the Dark Blue midfield struggled to assert themselves.

With far less of the ball the Bluebells created the best chances of the first half, often breaking from the crowded midfield after ambushing the outnumbered Dark Blues.

After 24 minutes Phillip Hagan cut in from the right and shot across the face of goal. Andrew Ritchie then fired wide from a great chance that Paul Blackwood created with a clever back heel after a driving run into the penalty box.

At the other end a 20 yard effort from Martin Boyle was deflected past the post and Craig Wighton twice came close, stabbing his efforts narrowly wide each time.

Right at the end of the half each team came close. Brian Clark sent a rasping 20 yarder just over the bar, and Martin Boyle saw his header from Doris's cross drift over the bar.

It took the Dark Blues only five minutes to open the scoring in the second half. Jamie McCluskey floated a free kick into the box from the right. Lockwood and Irvine headed the ball on for Steven DORIS to guide an overhead kick just inside the post.

Dundee nearly added a quick second when Wighton nodded a corner down but Doris couldn't quite force the ball past keeper Fotheringham.

The next goal soon arrived, however, on the hour mark. Martin Boyle was fouled just outside the penalty area. Referee Mr Crawford played a good advantage, which allowed Craig WIGHTON to pick up the loose ball, turn and curl a delightful shot around Fotheringham, a lovely finish from a young player who was now showing his true talent. Minutes later he tried a similar turn and shot, but this time Fotheringham saved well.

The Bluebells then sent on a horde of substitutes. Prominent among them was Craig Robertson, certainly the most popular player ever to play three games for Dundee!

The third goal followed after 69 minutes. It was an excellent poacher's goal, though the dreadfully windy conditions played a part. Mark Bannon misjudged Wille Dyer's long ball through the middle. Martin BOYLE nipped in to take the ball, round the keeper and score from a narrow angle.

Lochee kept plugging away in an attempt to pull a goal back, but struggled to create clear chances when they got the ball into the Dundee penalty box. They deservedly pulled a goal back after 77 minutes, when Greg Kirk's determined run into the penalty area created space for Jon VOIGT to take the ball and score with a powerful low shot from 12 yards that left the trialist keeper with no chance.

Youngsters Ben Sievwright and Calvin Colquohoun now came on for Dundee replacing Kerr and McCluskey. A young trialist striker also replaced Wighton.

The changes didn't disrupt the Dark Blues, who quickly restored their three goal advantage. Steven DORIS powered in a near post header from Jamie Reid's corner to end the scoring.

Craig Robertson was substituted just before the end, but unfortunately the crowd failed to notice and Robbo didn't get the ovation he deserved. Never mind Craig, you've already got a special place in the history of the Dee!

It's hard to read too much into this match or the result. It's likely that Dundee will field a very different team against Queen of the South next week. Certainly it's hard to see them using the same formation in an away league game. Nevertheless, the game provided more match practice for players who didn't start the previous two games, and it was good to see the strikers all scoring.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee Website

Squad Statistics (as at August 3rd, 2013)

2013-14 All Time

League Table (as at August 3rd, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.