St Johnstone 3
Dundee 5
Friendly (Dave Mackay Testimonial)

St Johnstone 

3 - 5


Friendly (Dave Mackay Testimonial)
Friday, October 6th, 2017
McDiarmid Park
Attendance: 1,480
7:30 PM Kick-off

Denny Johnstone (54)
Dave Mackay (pen.) (85)
Roddy Grant (89)
Mark O'Hara (9)
Jack Lambert (29)
Sofien Moussa (45)
Steven Milne (72)
Max Anderson (83)

Team Managers
Tommy Wright Neil McCann

Starting Eleven
Zander Clark
Joe Shaughnessy
Scott Tanser
Murray Davidson
David Wotherspoon
Aaron Comrie
Denny Johnstone
Stefan Scougall
Liam Craig
Craig Thomson
Ally Gilchrist
Elliot Parish
Jon Aurtenetxe
Julen Etxabeguren
Kostadin Gadzhalov
Cammy Kerr
Jordan Piggott
Jack Lambert
Mark O'Hara
Faissal El Bakhtaoui
Sofien Moussa
Danny Williams

Ben McKenzie
Steven Anderson
Chris Millar
Steven MacLean
Liam Gordon
Brian Easton
Graham Cummins
Callum Hendry
Danny Griffin
John O’Neil
Darren Dods
Martin Hardie
Paul Sheerin
Dave Mackay
Nathan Lowndes
Jody Morris
Fraser Wright
Roddy Grant
Robert Douglas
Barry Smith
Graham Gartland
Charlie Adam
Jesse Curran
Gary Harkins
Neil McCann
Callum Moore
Max Anderson
Matthew Henvey
Peter MacDonald
Steven Milne
John Smith

Brian Easton for Scott Tanser (46)
Graham Cummins for Liam Craig (46)
Jody Morris for Stefan Scougall (46)
Murray Davidson for Paul Sheerin (56)
Joe Shaughnessy for Danny Griffin (56)
David Wotherspoon for Martin Hardie (56)
Dave Mackay for Aaron Comrie (62)
John O’Neill for Craig Thomson (65)
Murray Davidson for Zander Clark (65)
Darren Dods for Ally Gilchrist (69)
Frazer Wright for Danny Griffin (69)
Roddy Grant for Graham Cummins (71)
Steven Milne for Sofien Moussa (46)
Peter MacDonald for Faissal El Bakhtaoui (46)
Barry Smith for Kostadin Gadzhalov (46)
Charlie Adam for Mark O'Hara (46)
Robert Douglas for Elliot Parish (46)
Jesse Curran for Cammy Kerr (46)
Gary Harkins for Danny Williams (46)
Callum Moore for Charlie Adam (62)
Graham Gartland for Julen Etxabeguren (65)
Matthew Henvey for Peter MacDonald (71)
Neil McCann for Jon Aurtenetxe (77)
Max Anderson for Barry Smith (81)
John Smith for Steven Milne (81)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Gavin Duncan (Referee)
Stuart Stevenson & Gordon Crawford (Assistants)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee were victorious in Dave Mackay’s testimonial at McDiarmid Park. Mark O’Hara, Jack Lambert and Sofien Moussa fired Dundee into a 3-0 half time lead, with second half goals from Steven Milne and Max Anderson sealing the win for the Dundee side made up of past, present and potentially future starts.

It took Dundee just nine minutes to open the scoring, as Mark O’Hara powered a header from Jack Lambert’s in-swinging corner past Zander Clark.

Elliot Parish made his first appearance for the Dark Blues, and pulled off several fine saves as Saints pressed for an equaliser. Stefan Scougall should have levelled the tie when he wriggled through the Dundee defence, but could only prod his shot wide of the upright.

Parish got a valuable fingertip on a Liam Craig free kick, before making his best save of the night. The resulting corner went through to Craig, who picked out Denny Johnstone eight yards out, put his downwards header was pushed away by the diving Parish.

With all the pressure Saints were putting on, it was somewhat inevitable when Dundee went two up just before the half hour mark. Jack Lambert initially started the move, and when the ball broke to him at the edge of the box, he made no mistake, curling a low shot past Clark.

With the half time whistle about to be blown, Sofien Moussa extended Dundee’s lead to three. El Bakhtaoui sent in the cross to the unmarked striker at the back post, and he headed past the helpless Clark.

Half time saw the expected plethora of changes, as Rab Douglas, Charlie Adam, Barry Smith, Gary Harkins, Peter MacDonald and Steven Milne all entered for the Dark Blues. Youngster Jesse Curran also joined the new-look Dark Blues line up.

Denny Johnstone pulled a goal back for Saints nine minutes after the restart. The striker drilled a shot from 30 yards into the bottom corner of Rab Douglas’ net.

Douglas did well to beat away Brian Easton’s shot, before Dave Mackay made his entrance to the game. Midfielder Murray Davidson went in goal for Saints as the game developed a more relaxed atmosphere.

Steven Milne extended Dundee’s lead after 72 minutes, firing past Davidson after a pass from Matty Henvey sent him in one-on-one with Davidson.

The Dundee lead was widened further with seven minutes remaining. Gary Harkins found Henvey with a deft reverse pass, and while the striker could only fire a shot against the upright, Max Anderson was on hand to pass the ball into the empty net.

As is tradition with these matches, Saints were awarded a penalty that may or may not have been planned after 85 minutes. Graham Gartland was the offender, and the man of the hour Dave Mackay made no mistake from the penalty spot.

There was still time for one more goal, and it came from Roddy Grant. The Saints man capitalising on a slack pass from Dundee manager Neil McCann, and making no mistake with a cool finish past Douglas.

There was still enough time for Saints stand-in keeper Davidson to keep out an audacious halfway line effort from Lambert, and palm away a stinging shot from Callum Moore.

Match report written by Andrew Creegan - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at October 6th, 2017)

2017-18 All Time

League Table (as at October 6th, 2017)

No league table has been added for this season.