Brechin City 0
Dundee 2

Brechin City 

0 - 2


Tuesday, July 11th, 2017
Glebe Park
Attendance: 911
7:45 PM Kick-off

None. Craig Wighton (12)
Paul McGowan (37)

Team Managers
Darren Dodds Neil McCann

Starting Eleven
Graeme Smith
Gary Fusco
Paul McLean
Euan Spark
Aron Lynas
James Dale
Finn Graham
Willie Dyer
Andy Jackson
Isaac Layne
Scott Bain .1
Jack Hendry .22
Kerr Waddell .34
Jesse Curran .27
Roarie Deacon .21
Tom Hateley .7
Paul McGowan .18
Lewis Spence .28
Marcus Haber .29
Craig Wighton .33
Danny Williams .11

Chris O'Neill
Elliot Ford
Ally Love
Calum Ferrie .38
Kevin Holt .3
Cammy Kerr .2
Darren O'Dea .6
Scott Allan .10
Glen Kamara .8
Mark O'Hara .14
Faissal El Bakhtaoui .20
Randy Wolters .23

Trialist for Isaac Layne (62)
All Love for Finn Graham (62)
Trialist for Trialist (69)
Trialist for James Dale (81)
Trialist for Andy Jackson (81)
Cammy Kerr for Jesse Curran (70)
Darren O'Dea for Kerr Waddell (70)
Kevin Holt for Danny Williams (70)
Glen Kamara for Tom Hateley (70)
Mark O'Hara for Lewis Spence (70)
Scott Allan for Paul McGowan (70)
Randy Wolters for Craig Wighton (70)
Faissal El Bakhtaoui for Marcus Haber (70)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Don Robertson (Referee)
Stuart Stevenson & Thomas Shaw (Assistants)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee emerged from their friendly at Glebe Park tonight with a comfortable 2-0 win over Brechin City. First half goals by Craig Wighton and Paul McGowan reflected the Dee’s superiority. There were no further goals after the break, but the Dark Blues’ continued domination wasn’t disrupted by eight substitutions after 70 minutes. Only Scott Bain, Jack Hendry and Roarie Deacon played for the full match.

The Dark Blues started positively and it was 10 minutes before the ball reached Scott Bain. Tom Hateley managed the first effort on goal at the end of a good move featuring Roarie Deacon and Marcus Haber, but his shot was charged down.

It was no surprise when the Dee’s constant and dangerous attacking brought a goal after 12 minutes. Jesse Curran charged down the right and laid the ball off for Roarie Deacon, who raced past a defender to the byline. His chipped cross sailed over the head of keeper Graeme Smith and Craig WIGHTON swept the ball into the empty net.

Deacon, who was linking well with Curran, was soon back in action, cutting in from the wing and curling his shot over the bar.

Lewis Spence and Tom Hateley were combining impressively in the heart of the midfield, but a rare mistake by Spence offered Brechin a half chance. James Dale picked up the loose ball and played the ball out to Isaac Layne, who sliced his angled shot well wide.

Dundee rarely hit long balls up the field, preferring to play the ball patiently out from the back. A series of neat moves saw a succession of good passes and crosses that had Brechin’s defence at full stretch. However, a moment of slackness in the Dee defence allowed Layne to run clear onto a long ball, but his shot missed the far post by a whisker.

Smith had to save a dangerous 30 yarder from Danny Williams at full stretch as Dundee maintained their pressure. Craig Wighton was a constant threat on the left, and his cross shot flew wide after he superbly controlled a high, bouncing ball.

After 37 minutes Wighton created the second goal when he ran past his man and pulled the ball back for Paul McGOWAN to force his way past a tackle and stab the ball past Smith, with the Brechin defence appealing in vain for a handball.

There were no half time substitutions, but Tom Hateley and Jesse Curran did swap positions for the second half, Hateley going to right back and Curran moving into midfield.

The Dark Blues almost added a third goal in the opening seconds after the restart. Deacon ran clear through the middle, stumbled, but passed the ball sideways to Wighton, who chipped the ball over the keeper. However, Paul McLean raced back to hook the ball off the line.

Minutes later a lovely pass from Spence freed Wighton, but his cross drifted just too far in front of Haber and past the far post.

Dundee continued to dominate, holding the ball for long periods, patiently waiting for openings. In spite of some good passing and movement they failed to give Smith any more serious problems before the mass substitutions after 70 minutes. The midfield trialist who wore number 15 against St Mirren and Arbroath came on tonight in the 8 shirt.

Only Scott Bain, Jack Hendry and Roarie Deacon stayed on the field as eight substitutes arrived on the park. The fresh legs maintained the pressure on Brechin as the Dee probed and passed well, keeping Brechin pinned back. Mark O’Hara went closest after a brilliant pass by Scott Allan allowed Randy Wolters to cross, Gary Fusco blocked the shot superbly.

Scott Bain didn’t have a save to make in the whole game as the defence in front of him dealt confidently with Brechin’s limited attacks. Brechin’s best effort in the second half was a curling effort by Ally Love that flew well wide after momentary carelessness in the Dee midfield.

The match ended as it started with the Dark Blues firmly on top. This was the Dee’s best performance in the pre-season campaign. They not only played well throughout the team, they maintained a high level of performance for the whole match, which offers encouragement to the fans with the first competitive match seven days away. Before then they face a hard challenge against Bolton Wanderers of the English Championship in the first match of the season at Dens Park on Friday night.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at July 11th, 2017)

2017-18 All Time

League Table (as at July 11th, 2017)

No league table has been added for this season.