Dundee 2
Clyde 2
Scottish Cup (Final)

2 - 2

Scottish Cup (Final)
Saturday, April 9th, 1910
Ibrox Park
Attendance: 60,000
3:00 PM Kick-off

John Hunter (87)
George Langlands (90)

Team Managers
William Wallace
A. S. Maley

Starting Eleven
1. Bob Crumley
2. Jimmy Lawson
3. John Chaplin
4. Bert Lee
5. Herbert Dainty
6. George Comrie
7. Jimmy Bellamy
8. George Langlands
9. John Hunter
10. Sandy MacFarlane
11. Jack Fraser
G. McTurk
A. Watson
J. Blair
W. Walker
T. McAteer
G. Robertson
W. McCartney
J. Chalmers
John Jackson
T. Booth


None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Mr. J. Dougary (Nitshill) (Referee)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Scotsman, match clipping from The Evening Telegraph.


Close on 60,000 spectators were present at Ibrox, Glasgow, to witness the Scottish Cup final between Clyde and Dundee. The gate drawing amounted to £1410 and the receipts at the stands totalled £400. Some 10,000 spectators travelled from Dundee. Special interest attached to the encounter on account of the fact that neither of the clubs had appeared in the final stage previously.

Taken all over the game was a poor one, though it was hardly contested all the way. Science and brilliance were lacking, but the spectators who waited to the finish were rewarded by seeing a sensational conclusion. When the game seemed lost and won, Clyde leading by two goals to nothing, Dundee put on a strong effort, and in the last five minutes they scored twice. Thus a replay was made necessary, and it will take place at ibrox next Saturday.


The Rangers ground was in capital order, and the going promised to be fast. Dundee, who kicked off against the wind, were first aggressive, and a poor kick by Blair looked dangerous to the Shawfielders, but Wilson came to the rescue. Thanks mainly to sound tackling by Lee, the Clyde forwards were kept well in check.

A good pass by Hunter was well taken up by Bellamy he fell and fouled the ball. Charlmers then was prominent and he cleverly got the ball from Dainty and Chaplin.

Crumley left his charge, but the centre lifted the ball over the goalkeepers head and had the mortification to see it strike the crossbar. Before he could get forward, Lawson had the ball away. A goal for the Shawfielders, however, was not long delayed. In the next rally by the Clyde forwards, Chalmers beat Crumley with a hard shot.

Dundee improved after this, and their forwards seemed to have the Clyde goal at their mercy, as the ball crossed the goalmouth several times. Clyde were glad when the ball was got away. Clyde then attacked, and Jackson get in a good shot, which Crumley tipped over the bar. Even play followed. Close on the interval Lawson missed the ball badly and Booth made no mistake beating Crumley all the way. Dundee tried hard to reduce the leeway, and Langlands was only inches wide of the mark with one shot.

Clyde led by two goals to nothing in the interval.


Dundee started well in the second half but McAteer cleared. They were soon back again. Hunter, however got offside, and the play was transferred to the other end. Lawson at this stage showed great weakness. Twice he miskicked, and in attempting an overhead kick he nearly sent through his own goal.

The Dundee forwards then came into the picture again, bit sterling play by the Clyde defense kept them out. As the game neared the close Clyde took up the attack, and twice McCartney missed scoring chances.

Only five minutes remained when Hunter broke away, and in a melee in front of the Clyde goal forced the ball into the net. This put fresh life into the Dundee attack, and from a corner Langlands headed a goal amid great enthusiasm.


Thus thero came about one of the most sensational finishes seen in the history of the national competition.

Dundee, seven minutes from the end, looked a defeated team, and all the spectators had made up their minds for this,any having left the field. Clyde deserved to win, but Dundee put up a game fight, and their never-say die pluck and perseverance were well rewarded. Clyde had the sounder defence, and their forwards were always the more dangerous lot.

The prettier footwork of the Tayside front line was not effective, and was in sharp contrast to that of their opponents, who were always quick to seize a chance to shoot for goal. In this respect Chalmers shone, and there was always danger when he was on the ball. Dundee's chief strength was at half where Lee and Dainty proved of great service, and it was that so, Lawson seemed to lose his head when at all pressed. In the Clyde defence, McAteer was the outstanding figure, but they all did well.

Result:-Dundee, two goals; Clyde, two goals.

Dundee - Crumlay: Lawson and Chaplin: Lee, Dainty, and Comrie; Bellamy, Langlands, Hunter, MacFarlane and Fraser.

Clyde - McTurk: Watson and Blair: Walker, McAteer, and Robertson; Stirling, McCartney, Chalmers Jackson, and Booth.

Refere-Mr T. Dongary, Nitshill.

Squad Statistics (as at April 9th, 1910)

1909-10 All Time
Bob Crumley (GK)33 34 - 110 -
Jimmy Lawson - 20 - 46 -
John Chaplin - 34 - 91 -
Herbert Dainty31 32116924
Bert Lee - 3231319
George Comrie - 261261
Jack Fraser - 33316720
George Langlands - 2976818
Sandy MacFarlane - 24325257
Jimmy Bellamy - 32136627
John Hunter - 2299159

League Table (as at April 9th, 1910)

No league table has been added for this season.