Dundee 1
Rangers 1

1 - 1

Saturday, February 6th, 1897
Carolina Port
Attendance: 8,000
3:30 PM Kick-off

Jim Smith 
Oswald (30)

Team Managers

Starting Eleven
1. Jack Hillman
2. Robert Kelso
3. Edward Hamilton
4. Tom Stormont
5. James Dundas
6. Sandy Keillor
7. Joe Clark
8. Bill McArthur
9. Joe Devlin
10. Dave Willocks
11. Jim Smith

Match Officials

Mr. J. Cameron (Referee)

Match Report

It was fully expected that owing to the "fresh" having set in Carolina Port would have been fit and trim for the great Cup tie. Early on Saturday morning, however, the ground was declared unplayable, and both clubs agreed upon a friendly, and by 3.30, at which time the match was billed to start, a crowd of 8000 was gathered round the enclosure.

The ground was in a fearful condition, from goal to goal being one mass of liquid mud. Both teams lacked the services of several members of their usual playing eleven. The Rangers were minus N. Smith and Miller, while Dundee left out Allan and Hall, Burgess being also an absentee through illness.

Mr J. Cameron was referee, and prompt to time the players lined up as follows:- Rangers - Dickie; Glen and Drummond; Gibson, McCreadie, and Mitchell; Low, McPherson, Oswald, Hyslop, and Smith.

Dundee - Hillman; Kelso and Hamilton; Stormont, Dundas, and Keillor; Clark, McArthur, Devlin, Willocks, and Smith.

The spin of the coin was in favour of Drummond, Dundee kicking off. The Rangers right was early prominent, but Keillor stepping in gave Smith an opening, and that player centred well, but the ball was driven well down the field, and Hyslop tried Hillman with a scorcher when offside.

Dundee then got away, and Clark tried Dickie with a hard shot. The Rangers custodian was, however, on the alert, and cleared in splendid fashion.

The home team were playing a brisk game despite the mud, and the Rangers' defence was kept busy for a time in checking the inroads of the home forwards, and from one of Drummond's returns McPherson and Low, although stopped smartly by Hamilton, returned to the attack, and placed the ball past Hillman.

Offside was, however, claimed, and the goal was disallowed.

At the other end clever play on the part of Willocks and Smith caused Dickie to be ever on the alert, and several times Devlin and Clark had hard luck in not reaching the net.

Both teams were trying their utmost to reach home, and at last, after thirty minutes' play, Oswald, who was lying close up, intercepted a return, and placed on the first point of the game to the visitors' credit.

This seemed to take the sting out of Dundee's attack, and for a time the play ruled in favour of the Rangers. No further scoring took place, and the teams crossed over Rangers, 1 goal; Dundee, nil.

Smith, for Dundee, was early prominent in the second period with a dashing run down the left. Beating Glen in the sprint, he passed neatly across to Devlin, who promptly banged it into goal. Dickie, however, cleared with a strong kick, and Hyslop and Oswald catching his return, were soon down on Hillman's charge, where Kelso intervened.

Dundee's left was once more into Rangers' territory, Willocks giving Smith every opportunity of getting away. The latter easily eluded Glen, and Drummond crossing over, brought Smith down in somewhat doubtful fashion, but almost immediately afterwards Smith, from a fine pass by Devlin, beat Dickie with beauty, and the game was level.

Dundee for now, had now the game in hand, Clark and McArthur fairly bamboozling Mitchell and Drummond, and it was only through smart play on the part of McCreadie that Dundee was kept from gaining the lead.

Gradually, however, the Rangers reasserted themselves, and twice the ball was placed in the net, one being offside, while the other was disallowed on account of Oswald obstructing the goalkeeper.

Hillman was performing wonders, a like remark applying to his vis-a-vis at the other end, although the Rangers' man nearly allowed Dundee to score by leaving his goal, the ball being sent past the out side of the post through over eagerness.

Right up to the finish the game was brimful of excitement, both teams striving hard to gain the mastery.

No further scoring took place, the game ending in a draw-Dundee, 1 goal; Rangers, 1 goal.

Match report written by The Courier | Ref. BNA (www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk); The British Library Board | Copyright Statement -

Squad Statistics (as at February 6th, 1897)

1896-97 All Time

League Table (as at February 6th, 1897)

No league table has been added for this season.