East Fife 2
Dundee 1
League (First Division)

East Fife 

2 - 1


League (First Division)
Tuesday, December 3rd, 1996
Bayview Park
Attendance: 367
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Robbie Raeside (5)
Jerry O'Driscoll (23)

Team Managers
Unknown. Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
Unknown. Gary McGlynn .1
Barry Smith .2
David Winnie .3
Craig Tully .4
Robbie Raeside .5
Gavin Rae .6
Iain Anderson .7
Dariusz Adamczuk .8
Jerry O'Driscoll .9
Jim Hamilton .10
Chic Charnley .11

None. Ole-Petter Skonner .12
Gary McKeown .14
Iain Ferguson .15

None. None.

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

John Rowbotham (Kirkcaldy) (Referee)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Courier.

Appalling conditions were not enough to put referee John Rowbotham from putting off last night's clash at Bayview Park, but when the floodlights decided to pack in only minutes into the second half he had no choice.

Both teams were struggling hard to make the best of the game, and both had created chances with Dundee having the upper hand-before the match had to be called off because of a "technical prob- lem" with the lighting.

East Fife, who had Stewart Elder of Glenrothes Juniors playing as a trialist, saw their first home game since October get off to a bad start when the visitors, who had failed to score in six First Division games, or 10% hours of foot- ball before last night's game, opened the scoring.

Dundee bade farewell to their abysmal record thanks to a well-taken goal from ex Raith Rovers star Robbie Raeside who, after collecting the ball from Jim Hamilton inside the Fife penalty area coolly slotted home on the five minute mark.

The second came after 23 minutes when a Dundee corner caught the Fifers' defenders napping, allowing Jerry O'Driscoll to bundle the ball over the line.

Teenage keeper Gary McGlynn could do little about Robert Scott adding his name to the score sheet with a carbon copy of Dundee's second, after an Arnold Dwarika corner was caught by the wind and dragged goalwards.

Several players from both sides attempted to charge the ball leaving the goalie stranded, and Scott got the lucky touch to give Fife what seemed as a fighting chance to get back into the game.

Then minutes before half- time it looked as though Jimmy Bone's side had done it, as McGlynn failed to hold onto a long-range strike from Scott, allowing Steve Hutcheon to nip in and thump the ball into the net past the stranded youngster.

However, the terracing side linesman was waving frantically that the midfielder was offside, and the goal was disallowed. During the interval several floodlight bulbs went out, but it was still light enough to play, but after less than three minutes of the second half the lighting gave up.

Despite the fact that no points could be taken from the game, Dundee gaffer Jim Duffy took heart from his side's performance, in particularly O'Driscoll's strike. "I'm pleased that we've managed to put out scoring problems behind us, and O'Driscoll showed a lot of composure for an 18-year-old to put his chance away," he commented.

"The conditions were freakish and it didn't make play very easy, but it was a good confidence booster for us."

Jimmy Bone was also con ented with East Fife's performance. "We gave away two crazy goals at the start but our boys showed the fighting in them and we came back well and dominated the later stages, of the first half."

The result was no consolation for a group of angry Dundee fans who after the game refused to budge from the Bayview Park player's entrance until they received some sort of compensation.

Attendance: 367.

East Fife: Hamilton, Dixon, Gibb, Cusick, trialist, Allan, Dwarika, Donaghy, Scott, Hutcheon, Hope. Subs: Lewis, Winiarski, Nicol.

Dundee: McGlynn, Smith, Winnie, Tully, Raeside, Rae, Anderson, Adamczuck, O'Driscoll, Hamilton, Charnley. Subs: Skonnard, McKeown, Ferguson.

Squad Statistics (as at December 3rd, 1996)

1996-97 All Time

League Table (as at December 3rd, 1996)

No league table has been added for this season.