Kilmarnock 3
Dundee 2
League (Premiership)


3 - 2


League (Premiership)
Tuesday, February 13th, 2018
Rugby Park
Attendance: 3,768
7:45 PM Kick-off

Eamonn Brophy (5)
Kris Boyd (74)
Iain Wilson (87)
Sofien Moussa (pen.) (31)
Steven Caulker (56)

Team Managers
Steve Clarke Neil McCann

Starting Eleven
1. Jamie MacDonald
2. Stephen O'Donnell
5. Kirk Broadfoot
16. Scott Boyd
17. Stuart Findlay
8. Gary Dicker
12. Greg Taylor
25. Eamonn Brophy
27. Aaron Tshibola
7. Rory McKenzie
9. Kris Boyd
Elliot Parish .12
Jon Aurtenetxe .15
Steven Caulker .4
Genséric Kusunga .5
Darren O'Dea .6
Roarie Deacon .21
Glen Kamara .8
Paul McGowan .18
Mark O'Hara .14
Sofien Moussa .9
Simon Murray .17

32. Leonardo Fasan
18. Calum Waters
26. Aaron Simpson
20. Iain Wilson
29. Chris Burke
21. Adam Frizzell
22. Lee Erwin
Jérémy Malherbe .67
Cammy Kerr .2
Kerr Waddell .34
Jack Lambert .47
Lewis Spence .28
Faissal El Bakhtaoui .20
A-Jay Leitch-Smith .7

Lee Erwin for Eamonn Brophy (50)
Iain Wilson for Scott Boyd (62)
Adam Frizzell for Kris Boyd (90)
Cammy Kerr for Roarie Deacon (73)
Faissal El Bakhtaoui for Genséric Kusunga (79)
Lewis Spence for Mark O'Hara (91)

Gary Dicker (31)
Gary Dicker (62)
Iain Wilson (66)
Greg Taylor (66)
Aaron Tshibola (93)
Genséric Kusunga (15)
Mark O'Hara (20)
Glen Kamara (75)

Red Cards
Gary Dicker (62) None.

Match Officials

Nick Walsh (Referee)
Sean Carr & Stephen Mitchell (Assistants)
Steven Reid (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee lost 3-2 at Rugby Park in Kilmarnock tonight, throwimg away the points in a game in which they looked hot favourites to win midway through the second half. They got off to a bad start when Eamonn Brophy gave Killie an early lead. The Dee then went on to take charge and Sofien Moussa scored a deserved equaliser from the penalty spot. When Steven Caulker headed Dundee into the lead early in the second half and Gary Dicker was sent off the home side were struggling. However, Kilmarnock’s substitutes rescued them. Lee Erwin set up Kris Boyd to equalise and Iain Wilson scored a late winner to give Kille an unlikely win.

Steven Caulker came into the back three for his Dundee debut. Roarie Deacon and Simon Murray also returned to the starting line-up. Kevin Holt, Cammy Kerr and A-Jay Leitch-Smith dropped out. Killie made four changes from Saturday. Jamie MacDonald, Rory McKenzie, Greg Taylor and Eamonn Brophy replaced Leo Fasan, Youssouf Mulumbu, Jordan Jones and Greg Kiltie.

The Dark Blues might have started promisingly with good passing in midfield, but that hardly seemed to matter when their hosts took the lead after just five minutes. A corner broke to Eammon BROPHY wide on the left of the penalty area and his angled drive took a deflection to leave Elliott Parish helpless as the shot tucked just inside the far post.

Pleasingly Dundee followed up on their early promise and went on to dominate the next hour. The middle of the park was largely under the control of Glen Kamara and Mark O’Hara, who also impressed with some dangerous runs forward. Up front Roarie Deacon, Simon Murray and Sofien Moussa all caused Kilmarnock problems in their different ways.

Moussa headed narrowly over the bar from a Deacon cross and Killie goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald saved from O’Hara after a good build up by Murray and Moussa. Paul McGowan’s hook shot had to be taken at the second attempt by MacDonald, who then brought off a good save to keep out Jon Aurtenetxe’s fierce cross shot.

Dundee were well worth their equaliser after 31 minutes. MacDonald saved Caulker’s header from a Deacon corner, but Gary Dicker used his arm to control the loose ball. Sofien MOUSSA rolled the ball into the corner of the net from the penalty spot, sending MacDonald the wrong way.

The Dark Blues couldn’t force another goal before the break, but deservedly took the lead 11 minutes into the second half. Deacon’s corner from the left was bulleted home by Steven CAULKER’s emphatic header and Dundee looked well placed to go on and win.

The Dee’s chances looked even better when Gary Dicker, who had been booked for handball at the penalty, committed a dreadful foul on Roarie Deacon and was sent off. Steve Clark withdrew a defender, Scott Boyd, and sent on a midfielder Iain Wilson, as Killie went three at the back. Deacon needed lengthy treatment following Dicker’s foul and tried to play on but had to be substituted by Cammy Kerr. He had been playing well and it was sad to see a player returning from injury having his game ended in that way.

Murray went close to a third with a curling shot that passed just outside the angle of the woodwork after a great interception by Paul McGowan to break up a Kilmarnock attack. However, Kilmarnock were now playing far better with 10 men than they ever had with 11 and Lee Erwin, who replaced Eamonn Brophy early in the second half was proving increasingly influential.

Dundee were looking vulnerable to attacks down the Kilmarnock right, where Stephen O’Donnell was driving at Aurtenetxe. However, the real problem proved to be in the middle where the Dark Blues conceded two poor goals late in the game.

Rory McKenzie had already served warning when he managed to get clear onto a simple high ball, but Parish saved well. After 74 minutes, with Dundee messily out of shape, Erwin drove through a soft centre to set up Kris BOYD, who finished expertly, curling his finish round Parish from just inside the penalty area.

Dundee sent on Faissal El Bakhtaoui to replace Genseric Kusunga as they chased a winner, clearly unwilling to settle for a draw. Mark O’Hara missed narrowly with a header and Jamie MacDonald had a lucky escape when he fumbled an Aurtenetxe cross and the ball struck Moussa and bounced out of play.

The Dark Blues were starting to get a grip on the game again, but always looked in danger of being caught on the break. Erwin passed up an excellent chance when he broke free on the right and with Kris Boyd free in the middle overhit his cross to the exasperation of the Kilmarnock captain.

Three minutes from time, with Steven Caulker having moved into attack, Dundee were left red faced when they allowed Iain WILSON to burst through the middle and roll his shot past Parish and into the net off the inside of the post.

Steven Caulker came close to an equaliser with another powerful header from a free kick, but this time MacDonald made a great reaction save. Dundee tried desperately to get an equaliser in the three minutes of injury time, but lacked the composure they needed to get through a Kilmarnock team that was now fired up.

The players’ reaction at the end showed how hard this defeat was to take. Dundee were much the better team for the first 65 minutes and should have been able to hold on for a win against 10 men. Sadly, familiar problems were on display again. The Dark Blues didn’t score the goals their play merited, and then poor game management, organisation and defending cost them even a point in a game they should have won.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at February 13th, 2018)

2017-18 All Time
Elliot Parish (GK)27 17 - 17 -
Jon Aurtenetxe26 14 - 14 -
Steven Caulker26 1111
Genséric Kusunga29 2 - 2 -
Darren O'Dea31 17 - 755
Roarie Deacon26 261261
Glen Kamara22 35 - 35 -
Paul McGowan30 3221408
Mark O'Hara22 2966111
Sofien Moussa30 24102410
Simon Murray25 2 - 2 -
Cammy Kerr (sub)22 32 - 891
Lewis Spence (sub)22 14 - 14 -
Faissal El Bakhtaoui (sub)25 315628

League Table (as at February 13th, 2018)

No league table has been added for this season.