Dumbarton 0
Dundee 0
Scottish Cup (5th Round)


0 - 0


Scottish Cup (5th Round)
Saturday, February 6th, 2016
Dumbarton Football Stadium
Attendance: 1,410
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Stevie Aitken Paul Hartley

Starting Eleven
19. Jamie Ewings
4. Steven Saunders
5. Gregor Buchanan
14. Darren Barr
17. Jon Routledge
22. Frazer Wright
3. Mark Docherty
5. Grant Gallagher
23. Tom Walsh
9. Gary Fleming
27. Christian Nadé
Scott Bain .1
Kevin Holt .3
Thomas Konrad .4
Paul McGinn .19
Darren O'Dea .21
Gary Harkins .29
Paul McGowan .18
Nick Ross .17
Kane Hemmings .15
Rory Loy .9
Greg Stewart .7

1. Mark Brown
16. Calum Waters
2. Scott Taggart
10. Jordan Kirkpatrick
24. Kler Heh
7. Kevin Cawley
15. Donald McCallum
David Mitchell .12
Julen Etxabeguren .16
Kostadin Gadzhalov .26
Cammy Kerr .30
Nicky Low .8
Arturo Rodriguez .22
Craig Wighton .33

Kevin Cawley for Christian Nadé (76)
Scott Taggart for Grant Gallagher (81)
Arturo Rodriguez for Nick Ross (73)
Nicky Low for Rory Loy (80)

Jon Routledge (79) Darren O'Dea (85)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Stephen Finnie (Referee)
Willie Conquer & Joseph Lawson (Assistants)
Barry Cook (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee were held to a frustrating goalless draw by their battling hosts Dumbarton in the Scottish Cup 5th round this afternoon. The Dark Blues failed to capitalise on their dominance in a one sided first half, then couldn't break down the Sons in a scrappy second half on a poor pitch that spoilt the match.

Dundee sent out an unchanged line-up after the draw against Motherwell. Dumbarton made two changes; Barr and ex-Dee Christian Nadé replacing Lindsay and Cawley.

The Dark Blues started strongly, taking control and remaining in charge for the rest of the first half. Dundee came agonisingly close to taking the lead in the fourth minute. Greg Stewart patiently held the ball after a corner came back to him. He found Nick Ross, who took a touch before crashing a low drive off the post from 18 yards. Rory Loy followed up but Jamie Ewings saved his shot.

Dundee kept pressing and looked dangerous with every attack. Gary Harkins went close with a long range effort, and forced Ewings to punch away a 25 yard free kick.

Scott Bain was barely in the game in the first half, apart from taking goal kicks and the occasional free kick for offside. The Dee keeper did have to move smartly off his line to cover, however, when Nadé charged down a clearance. The Sons' French striker was well received by the Dee support, but he was often left stranded on his own up front. Dumbarton were sitting deep in defence, often having 10 men back in the final third.

Dundee had a succession of corners that they failed to make the most of. The heavy pitch made it hard to play a passing game and the mud came to Dumbarton's rescue late in the first half. A fast move between Stewart and Loy released Kane Hemmings. The Dee's top scorer slipped the ball past Ewings, only for it to slow up as it bounced towards the net and Mark Docherty's frantic sprint was rewarded when he made a goal-saving clearance off the line.

As the game wore on into the second half the pitch became even worse, cutting up badly. The Dee kept trying to pass their way through Dumbarton's defence, but too often their moves broke down in the mud. Hemmings did place the ball in the net after a neat passing move that did work, but he was offside. Another good move ended with Ewings saving McGowan's 18 yard shot.

In a rare Sons' attack Docherty curled a shot well wide after Darren O'Dea had put the Dee under pressure with a careless pass out of defence. Apart from that Dumbarton were restricted to a couple of wayward long rane shots.

The Dark Blues might have struggled to click in the difficult conditions, but Dumbarton deserve great credit for their hard work and defensive organisation. Harkins did go close when he glanced a header over the bar from Stewart's corner, but the Dark Blues seldom looked dangerous from their many set piece opportunities.

Arturo replaced Loy for the last 20 minutes and quickly linked with Stewart to set up Loy, whose angled drive was saved by Ewings. Arturo had a go himself from Loy's cutback, but Ewings saved again.

After digging in and surviving for the first 80 minutes the Sons moved forward to try and nick a winner towards the end. They had a dangerous wee surge, but failed to create any chances or force Bain to make a save.

Dundee pushed hard for a winner in the last few minutes, but they lacked the composure required to break down Dumbarton's defence. Kevin Holt went close after winning the ball in the penalty area, and Greg Stewart volleyed wide from 18 yards.

A tricky away cup tie on a poor pitch could easily have ended very badly. A draw might be frustrating but at least the Dee are still in the cup. If Dundee's early dominance had given them the lead they might have won this game comfortably, but the Sons dug in, kept battling and kept their concentration. They deserve their second chance, but the Dark Blues will feel they should really have won this tie without a replay at Dens.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at February 6th, 2016)

2015-16 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)24 27 - 53 -
Kevin Holt23 232232
Thomas Konrad26 24 - 612
Paul McGinn25 26 - 652
Darren O'Dea29 4 - 4 -
Gary Harkins31 23415433
Paul McGowan28 221562
Nick Ross24 261261
Kane Hemmings24 26162616
Rory Loy27 217217
Greg Stewart25 2676522
Nicky Low (sub)24 19 - 19 -
Arturo Rodriguez (sub)26 2 - 2 -

League Table (as at February 6th, 2016)

No league table has been added for this season.