Dundee 1
Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1
League (Premiership)

1 - 1
Inverness CT 

League (Premiership)
Saturday, August 29th, 2015
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,767
3:00 PM Kick-off

Kane Hemmings (91)
David Raven (60)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley
John Hughes

Starting Eleven
1. Scott Bain
2. Gary Irvine
5. James McPake
19. Paul McGinn
4. Thomas Konrad
18. Paul McGowan
8. Nicky Low
10. Kevin Thomson
17. Nick Ross
7. Greg Stewart
15. Kane Hemmings
Owain Fôn Williams .25
Dave Raven .2
Carl Tremarco .3
Danny Devine .14
Ross Draper .8
Greg Tansey .16
Danny Williams .19
Ryan Christie .22
Andrea Mutombo .28
Dani López .7
Iain Vigurs .27

12. David Mitchell
6. Daryll Meggatt
26. Kostadin Gadzhalov
3. Kevin Holt
27. Jesse Curran
11. Simon Ferry
28. Dylan Carreiro
Ryan Esson .1
Jason Brown .34
Nat Wedderburn .15
Lewis Horner .17
Liam Polworth .20
Richie Foran .9
Calum Ferguson .24

Daryll Meggatt for Thomas Konrad (67)
Dylan Carreiro for Gary Irvine (75)
Nat Wedderburn for Ian Vigurs (82)

Daryll Meggatt (70)
Greg Tansey (18)
Ross Draper (25)
Iain Vigurs (50)
Danny Devine (83)

Red Cards
None. Andrea Mutombo (93)
Match Officials

Andrew Dallas (Referee)
Graeme Stewart & Graeme Stewart (Assistants)
George Salmond (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Dundee made hard work of a 1-1 draw at home to Inverness Caley Thistle this afternoon. David Raven put the visitors ahead with a fine goal after 59 minutes, but Kane Hemmings earned a deserved point for the Dee with a smart finish in injury time. The equaliser came after Owain Fôn Williams had saved Greg Stewart's penalty, and in a frantic finish Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo collected a straight red card for a bad foul on Nick Ross.

Dundee reverted to the 4-2-3-1 formation they used for much of last season and made three changes following the League Cup defeat at Dunfermline. Kevin Thomson and Nicky Low returned from injury while Gary Irvine made his first start of the season. They replaced the suspended Gary Harkins, the injured Julen Etxabeguren and Kevin Holt, who was on the bench. Caley Thistle made one change, Carl Tremarco coming in for Liam Polworth in midfield.

The Dark Blues started full of promise, with some smart passing and movement. However, the first chance fell to Caley Thistle, when Raven's cross from the right found Mbuyi-Mutumbo in space at the far post and he might have done better than send a weak header wide.

In an even first half the ball spent far more time in the visitors' penalty area, but the Dark Blues were often too elaborate, passing the ball around the penalty area without getting a shot in. Caley Thistle were sloppy on the ball in the early stages, and prone to take chances in defence when a hefty hoof would have been more prudent. In spite of some spells of serious pressure Welsh keeper Fôn Williams didn't have to make a save in the first half.

In contrast Caley Thistle were moving the ball forward more quickly. Too often this meant they lost possession, but their greater urgency did look capable of catching out the Dee. Iain Vigurs spurned the best chance of the half at the end of a fast break. Raven's cut back found him in space with time to pick his spot from 15 yards, but his poor finish sailed well wide.

Caley Thistle started to reduce the rate of careless mistakes and were pressing the Dee more effectively in midfield as the half wore on. As a result the game entered a period of stalemate. Ross Draper was the only player to have a noteworthy attempt on goal when his low 25 yarder was pushed round the post by Scott Bain.

Dundee picked up the pace at the start of the second half and looked dangerous against a Caley Thistle defence that was reverting to its careless ways. Kane Hemmings spun round Tremarco on the right, but made a mess of his cutback with the unmarked Paul McGowan screaming for the ball. Tremarco then hit a woefully short passback towards Fôn Williams. The keeper just beat Nicky Low to the ball and crashed his clearance against the Dee midfielder. The ball broke to safety when it could easily have left Low with a simple goal.

The opening goal arrived just on the hour, and it came as Caley Thistle were having their poorest spell of the match. The visitors broke down the left, and with Dundee failing to react quickly enough when Caley Thistle switched play to the right, RAVEN scored from 18 yards with a beautifully struck curling left foot shot around Bain and inside the far post.

The goal shook the Dark Blues and injected new confidence into Caley Thistle's game. Christie came close when he ran clear of Gary Irvine on the right and curled a shot across goal and wide. Dundee's defence was disrupted when Thomas Konrad limped off injured to be replaced by Darryll Meggatt.

Hemmings had a great run in from the right that won a corner, but the Dark Blues were flat and looking short of inspiration for a worrying 15 minutes after the goal. Hemmings then signalled the start of a far more determined fightback when he turned well in the penalty area, but Fôn Williams blocked with his legs. Paul Hartley gave the Dee's late charge a boost by bringing on Dylan Carreiro for Gary Irvine as the Dee switched to three at the back.

Greg Stewart was involved in most of Dundee's attacks, but he was having to do too much too far from goal and was receiving some robust treatment from the visitors. The pressure was building on Caley Thistle's defence, and seven minutes from time their composure crumbled when Stewart's cross from the right caught out the central defence. With Carreiro waiting for the ball only a few yards out Danny Devine stretched up to punch the ball away and deny the goal-scoring opportunity.

The penalty decision was not at all controversial, but Mr Dallas's decision to give Devine only a yellow card was certainly a talking point. Stewart stepped up to take the penalty, but his effort was weak and Fôn Williams saved.

That disappointment might have been a hammer blow to the Dee, but they kept plugging away, forcing Caley Thistle to defend in increasing depth. After 89 minutes even the most optimistic supporter would have thought it wasn't going to be Dundee's day when Paul McGowan astonishingly missed the easiest of chances. After a goalmouth scramble the ball broke to McGowan for a tap in at the far post. With the goal gaping he completely miskicked. The chance was lost and the game seemed to be over.

After 90 minutes of perhaps excessively patient passing and careful attacking Dundee finally scored in added time with the simplest of route one moves. McGinn launched a long ball down the middle and HEMMINGS ran in behind the defence to whip a great low finish into the corner of the net from 10 yards.

There was still time for Mbuyi-Mutombo to earn a straight red card for a wild foul from behind on Nick Ross. By the time that the referee had sorted out that issue and Ross had been revived the game was over.

Dundee played some neat football today, with the passing and movement that Paul Hartley is trying to instil in the team. However, they did it only in patches, and their play mostly lacked the intensity and incisiveness that would have brought victory. Caley Thistle were also far from their best, and should have been punished for uncharacteristically careless defending. In attack they showed more directness and always looked capable of a goal on the break like the one Raven eventually scored.

Neither team really did enough to deserve the win so a draw was a fair result. Caley Thistle will be disappointed they didn't hold out, but Dundee will be reflecting on the golden opportunities they wasted before equalising and the careless way they fell behind at a time when they were on top. Both teams should feel they can do better than this.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at August 29th, 2015)

2015-16 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)23 7 - 33 -
Gary Irvine30 1 - 1886
Thomas Konrad25 6 - 432
Paul McGinn24 7 - 462
James McPake31 62444
Nicky Low23 3 - 3 -
Paul McGowan27 7 - 411
Nick Ross23 7 - 7 -
Kevin Thomson29 4 - 30 -
Kane Hemmings24 7474
Greg Stewart25 734618
Daryll Meggatt (sub)24 2 - 2 -
Dylan Carreiro (sub)20 3 - 4 -

League Table (as at August 29th, 2015)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon and welcome to Dens today for the visit of Inverness Caley Thistle.

I'd like to start by welcoming John Hughes and his backroom staff as well as both sets of supporters along to the match today.

Our last match at Dens saw our first home win of the season, something we want to experience a lot more of throughout the season.

We played really well and I was delighted for James McPake and Kane Hemmings to get on the scoresheet again.

After that we had a hard fixture away to Aberdeen but I thought we did well for a long period and restricted their chances before coming into the match in the second half. Unfortunately we lost a goal at a crucial time.

Today I'm expecting another tough game. Inverness are a good side having finished 3rd last season and winning the Scottish Cup they'll be keen to try and match their achievements again this season.

Our games against them last season were all closely contested fixtures SO there should be plenty of entertainment on show this afternoon.

It's been a testing first month of the season for all teams with seven games throughout August and we are looking to head into the international break with a victory this afternoon.