Celtic 2
Dundee 1
League (Premiership)


2 - 1


League (Premiership)
Saturday, November 22nd, 2014
Celtic Park
Attendance: 43,787
3:00 PM Kick-off

Anthony Stokes (45)
John Guidetti (54)
David Clarkson (58)

Team Managers
Ronny Deila Paul Hartley

Starting Eleven
26. Craig Gordon
2. Adam Matthews
3. Emilio Izaguirre
5. Virgil van Dijk
21. Charlie Mulgrew
22. Jason Denayer
15. Kris Commons
25. Stefan Johansen
9. John Guidetti
10. Anthony Stokes
49. James Forrest
Scott Bain .12
Gary Irvine .2
Thomas Konrad .4
Paul McGinn .19
James McPake .5
Gary Harkins .29
Jim McAlister .20
Paul McGowan .18
Kevin Thomson .10
David Clarkson .16
Greg Stewart .15

24. Lukasz Zaluska
4. Efe Ambrose
6. Nir Bitton
33. Beram Kayal
42. Callum McGregor
16. Jo Inge Berget
12. Stefan Scepovic
Arvid Schenk .25
Willie Dyer .3
Simon Ferry .11
Kevin McBride .8
Martin Boyle .23
Phillip Roberts .14
Luka Tankulic .21

Efe Ambrose for Jason Denayer (46)
Beram Kayal for Kris Commons (59)
Callum McGregor for James Forrest (78)
Martin Boyle for Greg Stewart (69)
Simon Ferry for Kevin Thomson (73)
Luka Tankulic for Gary Harkins (81)

Virgil van Dijk (27)
Beram Kayal (92)
Paul McGowan (74)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Kevin Clancy (Referee)
Francis Connor & Stephen Mitchell (Assistants)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee's unbeaten run came to an end with a 2-1 defeat at Celtic Park this afternoon. Anthony Stokes and John Guidetti scored on either side of half time before David Clarkson pulled a goal back for the Dee, making him the first Dundee player to score in seven consecutive games since Alan Gilzean, 50 years ago. The Dark Blues may have lost, but they impressed as they made Celtic fight every inch of the way; the result was in doubt until the final whistle.

Dundee made one change to the team that drew with St Johnstone. Kevin Thomson replaced Martin Boyle, playing in a holding midfield position. However, Paul Hartley's game plan was not to sit in and try to frustrate Celtic, far from it.

The Dark Blues were much the more dangerous side in the early stages. Greg Stewart had a chance in the first minute when he chested the ball down and shot over the bar from 12 yards.

The Celtic defence was looking sloppy and were lucky to escape in the fourth minute. Harkins' 25 yard free kick struck the defensive wall and Gordon failed to claim the ball in the scramble that followed. Clarkson picked up the loose ball and his chip was headed off the line by Denayer.

Celtic soon got their game together and put pressure on the Dee rearguard. Van Dijk headed wide from a wicked inswinging Stokes corner.

Although Celtic had more possession Dundee were very much in the game throughout the whole of the first half. The home side gave the ball away carelessly on far too many occasions, and Dundee's breaks always carried menace as play swung from end to end.

A neat passing move ended with McGowan firing the ball across the Celtic goal with no takers. Scott Bain raced from his line to foil Guidetti with a great block after Forrest had set up the chance. Forrest then had a go himself with a mazy run into the box, but his angled shot was saved by Bain under fierce pressure from the charging Celtic forwards.

The Dark Blues worked a smart move from a corner that left Clarkson unmarked beyond the far post. His header across goal was headed narrowly over the bar by Konrad.

Clarkson, Stewart and Harkins were building a series of clever attacks with neat passing. Stewart opened up the Hoops' defence with a marvellous run, beating three men on his way into the penalty area, but his shot was deflected wide with Gordon already committed. At the other end Dundee had a similar escape when Forrest's shot cannoned off Commons and flashed wide.

Dundee looked like they would reach the interval on level terms, but frustratingly conceded an avoidable goal after 45 minutes. Forrest was allowed to wriggle clear of a dead end by the corner flag, but was foulded by Thomson. Commons whipped in the free kick and STOKES scored with a powerful near post header.

The Dark Blues spent the couple of minutes before the half time whistle camped deep in the home half as they sought a quick equaliser.

Celtic's defence had not been convincing in the first half and they were forced to make a change at the break, Ambrose replacing Denayer. The switch added nothing to Celtic's defensive composure, and the substitute caused his team problems by giving the ball to Harkins in his own penalty area, a gift the Dee couldn't exploit. The Dark Blues were still looking very dangerous, and McGinn moved up the park to send a low 20 yard shot fizzing past the post.

However, the Dark Blues were undone by a fast Celtic break from defence on 54 minutes. Full back Matthews raced into space down the right and his low cross was fired home by John GUIDETTI from 12 yards.

Dundee responded superbly to the setback and forced the Hoops onto the back foot. James McPake found the net, heading in from Harkins' free kick, but the flag was up for offside.

The Dark Blues weren't downhearted. Stewart's shot was deflected inches wide and the Dee should have had a penalty when Johansen raised his hands to block Clarkson's shot. Celtic couldn't break away from their own penalty area, and Dundee soon had the goal they deserved.

Greg Stewart was giving an outstanding performance and his control and composure gave Celtic huge problems. His run into the penalty area caused chaos, from which CLARKSON profited, pouncing to force the ball home from 10 yards.

Dundee continued to play well, moving the ball around calmly and confidently. Sadly, Stewart took a knock and was replaced by Martin Boyle midway through the half. Simon Ferry then came on for Kevin Thomson and Luka Tankulic replaced Harkins for the last 10 minutes.

Celtic were fully aware they were in a tough game with the points far from secure and tried, with some success, to take the sting out of Dundee's performance by holding possession. Dundee's changes meant they had to vary their game. They found it harder to build neat moves in the Celtic half, but right to the end they still looked capable of catching Celtic out with fast breaks.

In the dying minutes Ambrose made a hash of McGinn's cross but the ball fell kindly for Gordon, rather than Clarkson. Celtic raced away; Kayal managed to force the ball past Bain and over the line, but the linesman's flag was up.

The Dark Blues tried desperately to grab a deserved equaliser but Celtic held on. Most teams come to Parkhead and sit deep to try and kill the game. This was far from Dundee's game plan today. They came to Glasgow to play football and attack Celtic. Sadly it didn't pay off but there was plenty to admire in the Dark Blues' performance. They played an attractive style of football today, especially in the first hour, and showed they have the players to worry any team in this league.

One player who has reason to remember this game with pride is David Clarkson, who is the first Dundee player to score in his first seven games for the club, a remarkable achievement for a new striker.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at November 22nd, 2014)

2014-15 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)23 6 - 6 -
Gary Irvine29 14 - 1712
Thomas Konrad25 161161
Paul McGinn24 171171
James McPake30 151151
Gary Harkins29 16311628
Jim McAlister29 16 - 10010
Paul McGowan27 17 - 17 -
Kevin Thomson29 8 - 8 -
David Clarkson29 7777
Greg Stewart24 157157
Simon Ferry (sub)26 101101
Luka Tankulic (sub)23 121121
Martin Boyle (sub)21 161595

League Table (as at November 22nd, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.