Dundee 1
St Johnstone 1
League (Premiership)

1 - 1
St Johnstone 

League (Premiership)
Saturday, November 8th, 2014
Dens Park
Attendance: 6,931
3:00 PM Kick-off

David Clarkson (41)
Brian Graham (53)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley
Tommy Wright

Starting Eleven
12. Scott Bain
2. Gary Irvine
4. Thomas Konrad
19. Paul McGinn
5. James McPake
29. Gary Harkins
20. Jim McAlister
18. Paul McGowan
23. Martin Boyle
16. David Clarkson
15. Greg Stewart
Alan Mannus .1
David MacKay .2
Steven Anderson .6
Joe Shaughnessy .14
Brian Easton .24
Chris Millar .7
Murray Davidson .8
David Wotherspoon .10
Steven MacLean .9
Chris Kane .25
Michael O’Halloran .29

25. Arvid Schenk
3. Willie Dyer
24. Andrew Black
6. Iain Davidson
8. Kevin McBride
10. Kevin Thomson
14. Phillip Roberts
Steve Banks .15
Gary Miller .19
Scott Brown .20
Simon Lappin .4
David Wotherspoon .10
Dylan Easton .31
Adam Morgan .11

Kevin Thomson for Martin Boyle (67)
Simon Lappin for Liam Caddis (46)
David Wotherspoon for Gary McDonald (46)
Gary Miller for Lee Croft (91)

David Clarkson (7)
Gary Harkins (13)
Martin Boyle (39)
James McPake (54)
Frazer Wright (37)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Bobby Madden (Referee)
Stuart MacMillan & Douglas Ross (Assistants)
Brian Colvin (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee's winning run came to an end with a 1-1 draw at Dens Park against St Johnstone this afternoon. In a match marred by controversy the Dee took the lead with a David Clarkson goal shortly before the break. Saints equalised with a Brian Graham penalty early in the second half.

It was no surprise that Paul Hartley sent out an unchanged team after last week's victory at Kilmarnock. Dundee started well, putting Saints under pressure right from the start. All of the early play was in St Johnstone's half as the eager Dees probed for an opening goal.

After five minutes there was a huge talking point when David Clarkson intercepted a careless backpass by Gary McDonald. Goalkeeper Alan Mannus raced out, but Clarkson lifted the ball over him and the players came together, with the Dee striker hitting the floor. Referee Mr Madden raced to the scene of the crime, reaching for his pocket. With most people expecting a red card for Mannus and a penalty the referee flummoxed the home fans by producing a yellow card for Clarkson.

The Dundee striker was struggling to retain his composure in response to repeated heavy challenges from behind. However, he was proving a highly effective centre forward and gave the Saints defence endless trouble.

After 10 minutes Clarkson pinged a fierce 25 yarder narrowly wide. Martin Boyle was next to have a go with an 18 yard volley that Mannus saved well.

The Saints' keeper surpassed that save with a superb low stop from a Harkins' volley that seemed certain to rocket inside the post.

Dundee continued to play well, dominating Saints all over the park. However, slick moves ended with weak shots. Another misdirected backpass set Clarkson free, but Mannus pulled off a great save to stop the Dee striker grabbing his sixth goal in six matches for the Dee.

Clarkson wasn't to be denied for long though. Four minutes before the break Saints' midfielder O'Halloran reached the byline to win a corner in Saints only dangerous attack of the half. When the corner came over Dundee broke quickly in numbers. The ball was switched from Clarkson to McGowan and on to Boyle who played in Stewart on the right. As Mannus narrowed the angle Stewart passed across goal for CLARKSON to fire home.

A 1-0 half time lead was the very least that Dundee deserved after 45 minutes of total dominance. Saints' manager Tommy Wright was clearly unhappy with his team's first half performance and replaced two players at half time. McDonald and Caddis stayed in the dressing room and were replaced by Simon Lappin and David Wotherspoon.

Saints were more purposeful and convincing now. Former Dee Dave Mackay broke forward from his defensive duties to test Bain, who turned the ball wide.

St Johnstone got back into the game when McPake pulled Graham's shirt to stop him reaching a cross that Bain was probably going to claim anyway. Mr Madden booked the Dundee defender and GRAHAM scored confidently from the spot.

Dundee should have had a penalty of their own minutes later when Greg Stewart dribbled from the right wing into the penalty area, only to be tripped by Wright. Surprisingly there was no whistle.

If Saints' equaliser had been against the run of play they took great encouragement from being on level terms. They looked a far better side and started to edge Dundee out in midfield and build dangerous attacks. They swept into Dundee's penalty area with their best move of the game but a great tackle from McAlister knocked the ball away from O'Halloran before he could shoot.

Midway through the half Paul Hartley decided Dundee needed to get a grip in midfield again and sent on Kevin Thomson to replace Martin Boyle. The change steadied the Dee and the game settled down with both teams keen to win, but reluctant to commit too many men forward.

Stewart forced a good save by Mannus from the corner of the penalty area. Late on the Saint's keeper had to save again to foil McAlister after McGowan played him in at the end of Dundee's best move of the second half.

In injury time a McPake header from a corner drifted across goal and wide with no-one able to reach it. A promising Stewart run ended with him being knocked to the ground as he approached the penalty area, and Dundee's last chance was gone.

Saints will doubtless feel they were worth their point after a vastly improved second half performance. However, Dundee were the better side over the full 90 minutes and should have killed Saints off in a one sided first half.

Dundee had to contend with a lot of problems in this match, and they would probably have lost in similar circumstance when they were last in the top division. The players did well to keep playing football rather than being distracted by factors outwith their control. However, in the second half their passing and decision making wasn't as good as it has been in recent matches. Too many promising moves broke down needlessly.

Clarkson and Stewart showed again how dangerous they can be. Supported by Harkins they always looked threatening in the first half. In the opening part of the second half they were less effective as Dundee were being overrun in midfield. The arrival of Kevin Thomson steadied the ship, but the Dark Blues' momentum had been lost and they struggled to impose themselves on Saints as they had in the first half.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at November 8th, 2014)

2014-15 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)22 5 - 5 -
Gary Irvine29 13 - 1702
Thomas Konrad25 151151
Paul McGinn24 161161
James McPake30 141141
Gary Harkins29 15311528
Jim McAlister29 15 - 9910
Paul McGowan27 16 - 16 -
Martin Boyle21 151585
David Clarkson29 6666
Greg Stewart24 147147
Kevin Thomson (sub)29 7 - 7 -

League Table (as at November 8th, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon and welcome to Dens Park. Today we face St Johnstone and if like to welcome Tommy Wright and his backroom staff along with all their supporters.

It's been a good few weeks for the club with three victories in a row and we'll be looking to make that four going into the international break next weekend.

We had a great victory last weekend at Kilmarnock. I thought we played some good stuff, good goals and I was really pleased overall.

We controlled the game and always looked a threat on the break, we used the ball well and scored the goals at the right times.

Focussing on today's game, I have watched the Perth side a number of times this season, including last Friday's victory over Motherwell, so I know we will be in for a tough game but it's one we go into with confidence high.

Enjoy the match.