Greenock Morton 1
Dundee 2
League (Championship)


1 - 2


League (Championship)
Saturday, December 7th, 2013
Cappielow Park
Attendance: 1,536
3:00 PM Kick-off

Dougie Imrie (59) Craig Beattie (17)
Declan Gallagher (45)

Team Managers
David Hopkin John Brown

Starting Eleven
23. Nicolas Careaux
12. Craig Reid
6. Mark McLaughlin
22. Tam O'Ware
4. Tomas Peciar
17. Jake Nicholson
21. Fouad Bachirou
16. Stephen Stirling
3. Marc Fitzpatrick
8. Dougie Imrie
20. Nacho Novo
Kyle Letheren .1
Declan Gallagher .18
Matt Lockwood .3
Gary Irvine .2
Nicky Riley .7
Ryan Conroy .11
Jim McAlister .20
Iain Davidson .6
Gavin Rae .10
Craig Beattie .29
Peter MacDonald .9

1. Derek Gaston
18. Michal Habai
28. Mark Russell
7. Joe McKee
26. Aiden Fulton
10. Archie Campbell
27. David McNeil
Dan Twardzik .27
Kyle Benedictus .17
Kevin McBride .8
Martin Boyle .23
Craig Wighton .33
Carlo Monti .15
Leighton McIntosh .14

David McNeil for Tam O'Ware (46)
Mark Russell for Stephen Stirling (67)
Michal Habai for Mark McLaughlin (74)
Martin Boyle for Craig Beattie
Kevin McBride for Ryan Conroy

Jake Nicholson (28)
Tomas Peciar (60)
Mark McLaughlin (73)
Kevin McBride

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Crawford Allan (Referee)
Stuart Stevenson & Kylie McMullan (Assistants)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dee go top!

Dundee moved to the top of the Championship with a well deserved 2-1 victory over Morton at Cappielow this afternnon. First half goals from Craig Beattie and Declan Gallagher reflected the Dee's total control before the break. Morton pulled themselves together at half time and gave the Dark Blues a hard game in the second half. Dougie Imrie pulled a goal back, but Dundee held on to win and overtake Hamilton on goal difference.

John Brown made a single change from last week's cup defeat against Raith Rovers; Craig Beattie came in for young Craig Wighton who moved to the bench. He was joined there by Leighton McIntosh making his first appearance of the season in a first team squad.

Little happened in a cagey first 15 minutes, but once the Dark Blues scored they took charge and the home side fell right out of contention. Morton lost the ball too easily from a throw inside their own half. MacDonald flicked the ball on to release BEATTIE who ran on to round keeper Caraux and score. The ball struck Mark McLaughlin on its way into the net, but the Morton defender is unlikely to argue about the scorer.

Morton now descended into a shambles and the rest of the first half consisted of Dark Blue shirts pouring forward through the disorganised home ranks. Morton kept taking risks in their own half and consequently giving the ball away. Dundee should really have put the game well out of Morton's reach long before half time.

Shortly after the goal a Conroy free kicked flicked off MacDonald's head and drifted inches wide.

Craig Beattie had an excellent first half. Most Dundee moves went through him. Whether he played a teammate into a good position, or turned to run at the defence he was always involved and effective. Only a last gap challenge by Reid stopped him after he'd powered through the defence.

Caraux saved well when MacDonald ran clear onto a Rae pass. MacDonald then led a fast break out of defence, but when he crossed McAlister couldn't control his shot and Caraux was able to save.

The home keeper was less impressive when he mishit a clearance to Beattie, causing chaos in the home defence. Conroy's shot was blocked and Morton escaped again.

Seconds before half time the Dee scored the second goal they'd been threatening ever since the first. Beattie had released Riley, whose shot was touched round the post by Caraux. When Riley swung the corner over to the far post Declan GALLAGHER timed his run perfectly to climb high and smash his header into the net.

Morton totally reorganised at half time and switched to 4-4-2, sending on a striker McNeil in place of left back O'Ware. At first it made no difference and Dundee should have killed off the game in the opening spell of the half.

A MacDonald free kick from wide on the left broke to Davidson, whose shot was cleared off the line by McLaughlin. The Morton centre back was then muscled off the ball by Beattie who ran clear only to drag his shot wide, whilst seeming to be held.

Two minutes later Morton hauled themselves back into the game with their very first shot at goal. Bachirou was allowed to much time to work the ball out to IMRIE, who scored with a superb cross shot from 18 yards out, wide on the left.

The goal transformed the game, giving Morton a huge boost. Imrie again came close after Nicholson had reached the byline, but Letheren did well to turn his shot wide.

Riley and Irvine worked a neat move on the right, and the full back seemed to be fouled as he ran into the area, but the referee Mr Allan waved play on.

There was no doubt in the referee's mind when McAlsiter burst clear and was brought down by McLaughlin, but the referee charitably decided the challenge was worth only a yellow card. MacDonald's free kick from 25 yards flew narrowly wide.

Morton charged forward looking for a late equaliser, but for the most part the Dee defence was composed and in charge. Once the ball did break to Bachirou just outside the penalty area, but his shot couldn't find its way through the crowded defence and deflected over the bar.

Martin Boyle replaced Beattie for the closing minutes. He seemed to have won a penalty when he raced into the penalty area and was chopped down by Fitzpatrick, but the referee wasn't convinced and play raged on.

The three minutes of injury time were spent mainly in the Morton half with Dundee calmly keeping possesssion. When the final whistle went the delighted travelling Dees celebrated, knowing what was happening in Hamilton.

In the first half Dundee looked like they would run away with this game. To their credit Morton pulled themselves back into the game after half time, but over the whole match there is no doubt that Dundee were the better side and deserved the win. Even in the second half the better chances came Dundee's way and Morton were fortunate not to lose a third before they had their first shot on target.

This was the perfect way to come back from last Saturday's disappointment in the cup. Dundee were unrecognisable from last week's insipid display and it was a terrific win in at a tough venue, regardless of Morton's recent problems.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at December 7th, 2013)

2013-14 All Time
Kyle Letheren (GK)26 21 - 21 -
Gary Irvine28 20 - 1382
Matt Lockwood37 14 - 11610
Declan Gallagher22 214495
Gavin Rae36 21128231
Iain Davidson29 162563
Jim McAlister28 211636
Ryan Conroy26 21410123
Nicky Riley27 16 - 11211
Peter MacDonald33 21132113
Craig Beattie29 124124
Kevin McBride (sub)32 162543
Martin Boyle (sub)20 13 - 23 -

League Table (as at December 7th, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.