Hamilton Academical 0
Dundee 3
League (Championship)


0 - 3


League (Championship)
Saturday, November 23rd, 2013
New Douglas Park
Attendance: 2,077
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Iain Davidson (16)
Declan Gallagher (57)
Peter MacDonald (90)

Team Managers
Alex Neil John Brown

Starting Eleven
1. Kevin Cuthbert
2. Ziggy Gordon
4. Michael Devlin
5. Martin Canning
3. Stephen Hendrie
22. Tony Andreu
6. Grant Gillespie
18. Darian Mackinnon
11. Ali Crawford
9. Jon McShane
7. James Keatings
Kyle Letheren .1
Declan Gallagher .18
Matt Lockwood .3
Gary Irvine .2
Nicky Riley .7
Ryan Conroy .11
Jim McAlister .20
Iain Davidson .6
Gavin Rae .10
Peter MacDonald .9
Craig Wighton .33

19. Blair Currie
24. Jesus Garcia Tena
33. Lee Kilday
16. Craig Watson
20. Eamonn Brophy
17. Louis Longridge
32. Andy Ryan
John Gibson .12
James Thomson .21
Kevin McBride .8
Steven Doris .16
Craig Beattie .29
Carlo Monti .15
Martin Boyle .23

Lee Kilday for Stephen Hendrie (29)
Louis Longridge for James Keatings (67)
Jesus Garcia Tena for Grant Gillespie (74)
Martin Boyle for Craig Wighton (82)
Craig Beattie for Peter MacDonald (91)
Kevin McBride for Nicky Riley (92)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Bobby Madden (Referee)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee have a poor record on artificial pitches, but the Dark Blues dumped history in the dustbin at New Douglas Park today. Goals from Davidson, Gallagher and MacDonald gave the Dee an emphatic 3-0 win over table topping Hamilton Accies. Iain Davidson volleyed Dundee into the lead on 16 minutes following a corner. Early in the second half Gallagher put the Dee firmly in charge with another goal from a corner. Peter MacDonald confirmed Dundee's superiority with a last minute goal after great play by substitute Martin Boyle.

John Brown sent out an unchanged side after last week's disappointing performance against Falkirk. The players repaid the manager's loyalty with a committed and professional performance that fully merited a decisive victory.

Accies started brightly, playing an adventurous, high tempo game. However, the flaws that undermined their performance were apparent even in those early exchanges. Hamilton's touch and technique didn't match their ambitions, and their moves broke down repeatedly as Dundee pressed them into making errors.

Dundee's defence handled Accies' early pressure calmly, denying the home side a clear sight of goal. At the other end the Accies defence was found wanting when the Dee put them under pressure. Hamilton failed to clear a Riley corner. McAlister hooked the ball back into the goalmouth and, with the defence in disarray, Iain DAVIDSON whipped the ball into the net on the volley.

The goal settled the Dark Blues down nicely and unsettled the home side who couldn't play with the same fluency they showed at Dens in September. That was no accident. Dundee stopped them playing with hard work and constant pressing in midfield. The longer the half went on the more likely it seemed that the next goal would come from a Dark Blue team who always looked dangerous on the break.

Late in the half Accies carved out their best chance of the game, though it was little more than a half chance. Mackinnon managed to reach the byline and his cross found McShane backpedalling to get his header in and the ball drifted high and wide.

The early minutes of the second half showed us what was to come from Accies in the remainder of the match. Crawford made a mess of a free kick from a promising position, sending his cross well over the heads of his teammates and out for a goal kick. Andreu then tried a shot from distance, the first of many, none of which troubled Letheren. Kilday fleetingly found himself with space to shoot 20 yards out, but sent the ball tamely into Letheren's midriff.

Time and again Accies let themselves down with poor final balls, and couldn't play their way through a sold Dark Blue defence. They were reduced to optimistic long range shots long before the end.

After 56 minutes Dundee grabbed the crucial second goal when Nicky Riley swung a corner over from the left. Declan GALLAGHER rose high and glanced his header in off the far post, to send the travelling support behind the goal into a noisy frenzy. The Dee now had a two goal lead, based on a solid and composed performance; the supporters had every reason to be confident that this was going to be Dundee's day.

The players matched that confidence as the clock wound down. Hamilton pushed forward ineffectively as they struggled to get back into the game. Dundee coolly contained them and looked fully capable of adding to their lead on the break.

A couple of uncharacteristic errors did create fleeting danger in the Dee's penalty area, but on neither occasion were Accies able to get a shot in. Letheren didn't get enough distance on a punch from a corner. Indecision in midfield allowed Accies to break and trigger a scramble in Dundee's penalty area, but Letheren pounced on the ball and Accies' last half chance was gone.

Dundee's set pieces always looked dangerous, and Conroy corner produced chaos in the home box. The ball broke to Davidson, who lashed it over the bar from 18 yards.

Martin Boyle replaced Craig Wighton for the last 10 minutes and the change threw the home midfield and defence into confusion. Accies were trying to push forward in a vain attempt to pull a goal back, and the last thing they needed was a speed merchant hurtling at them as the Dark Blues broke upfield with lethal menace.

Boyle set up the final goal after a marvellous run took him clear. He was fouled by Canning but kept going. His shot beat Cuthbert but came off the bar allowing Peter MACDONALD to complete the scoring with a diving header. That was Peaso's final contribution. He and Nicky Riley were replaced by Craig Beattie and Kevin McBride.

Boyle looked like he was going to score the goal he deserved in injury time, but the ball was touched away from him as he was about to sweep in Kevin McBride's cross. The final whistle went seconds later, and the delighted Dark Blue support cheered the players off the field.

Hamilton's lead at the top has now been cut to three points, and the manner in which the Dee dealt with the toughest challenge that the Championship has to offer will give players and supporters real confidence in the coming months. This was Dundee's biggest ever win on plastic, in every sense. It wasn't Dundee's largest win at New Douglas Park. They won there 6-1 two years ago, on grass, but today's win might prove much more significant.

Both sides deserve credit for playing out such a crucial and high pressure match without a single booking. This wasn't a flashy win, but it oozed composure and determination. Dundee have played better football on occasions this season, but they haven't put together such a solid, confident and professional performance against good quality opponents. It was an excellent team performance in which every single man played a full part. Dundee's away form has been mixed this season, but it's safe to say that every single supporter setting off on the road and the miles back to Dundee had enjoyed their afternoon!

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at November 23rd, 2013)

2013-14 All Time
Kyle Letheren (GK)26 19 - 19 -
Declan Gallagher22 193474
Gary Irvine28 18 - 1362
Matt Lockwood37 12 - 11410
Gavin Rae35 19128031
Iain Davidson29 142543
Jim McAlister28 191616
Ryan Conroy26 1949923
Nicky Riley27 14 - 11011
Peter MacDonald33 19131913
Craig Wighton16 6161
Kevin McBride (sub)32 152533
Craig Beattie (sub)29 103103
Martin Boyle (sub)20 11 - 21 -

League Table (as at November 23rd, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.