Dundee 2
Forfar Athletic 1 (AET)
League Cup (2nd Round)

2 - 1

League Cup (2nd Round)
Tuesday, August 27th, 2013
Dens Park
Attendance: 2,027
7:45 PM Kick-off

Jim McAlister (51)
Peter MacDonald (122)
Iain Campbell (pen.) (43)

Team Managers
John Brown
Dick Campbell

Starting Eleven
1. Kyle Letheren
5. Willie Dyer
18. Declan Gallagher
2. Gary Irvine
3. Matt Lockwood
11. Ryan Conroy
20. Jim McAlister
8. Kevin McBride
10. Gavin Rae
9. Peter MacDonald
15. Carlo Monti
Darren Hill .1
Mark Baxter .2
Stuart Malcolm .3
Darren Dods .4
Iain Campbell .5
Omar Kader .6
Gary Fusco .7
Gavin Malin .8
Dale Hilson .9
Gavin Swankie .10
Chris Templeman .11

27. Dan Twardzik
21. James Thomson
22. Jamie Reid
23. Martin Boyle
41. Thomas Carberry
Rab Douglas .12
Marvin Andrews .14
James Dale .15
Ross Campbell .16
Paul McManus .17

Martin Boyle for Carlo Monti (76)
Paul McManus for Dale Hilson (86)
James Dale for Gavin Malin (97)
Ross Campbell for Chris Templeman (97)

Kevin McBride (42)
Declan Gallagher (43)
Kevin McBride (72)
Matt Lockwood (116)
Stuart Malcolm (77)
Darren Dods (90)
Mark Baxter (90)
Stuart Malcolm (115)
Gary Fusco (121)

Red Cards
Kevin McBride (72)
Stuart Malcolm (115)
Match Officials

Barry Cook (Referee)
Billy Baxter & David Somers (Assistants)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Last week Dundee dumped Forfar out the Ramsdens Cup with a fortunate 3-1 extra time victory that was harsh on the Loons. Tonight the Dark Blues needed extra time again to win 2-1 in the League Cup, but this time the scoreline flattered Forfar.

Although the Dee had to rely on a desperately late winner from Peter MacDonald they dominated throughout a highly entertaining game and should have had the tie sown up long before the end of normal time. Iain Campbell gave Forfar the lead with a penalty shortly before half time. Jim McAlister equalised shortly after the break. Kevin McBride was then sent off. The Dee were well on top but they couldn't grab a second goal before extra time when Forfar defender Stuart Malcolm was ordered off. Dundee passed up numerous chances, but eventually secured a deserved win in injury time of extra time with a glorious Peaso free kick.

John Brown decided to stick with the same team that had shown signs of improvement in the draw with Raith Rovers on Saturday. There were plenty more promising signs in the early stages tonight.

Forfar were extremely lucky to survive Dundee's opening onslaught. After only two minutes Monti laid the ball into Conroy's path and the midfielder surged through the middle and hit a marvellous 25 yard shot that hit the crossbar, then the post, before bouncing just the wrong side of the line.

Jim McAlister struck the woodwork minutes later with a looping header. Monti then set up Conroy to shoot from eight yards, but Hill saved. MacDonald should have given the Dee the lead with a free header, but Hill saved the Loons again.

The Dark Blues performance was a cut above recent games. The movement was better and the passing sharper. The chances were coming, but frustratingly they were not being taken.

Dundee seemed to have a clear penalty when Hilson tripped McAlister from behind. It would have been soft because McAlister was heading out of the penalty area with no possible danger, but it was an obvious foul.

In open play the Loons had posed little danger, but their real threat came from aerial assaults at set pieces. Late in the first half Dundee conceded a needless corner after Irvine allowed Forfar to break. When the ball came into the goalmouth Gallagher was all over Templeman and this time Mr Cook was paying attention. Iain CAMPBELL scored with a perfect low penalty into the corner.

The goal might have been against the run of play, but Forfar could have pinched a two goal lead seconds from the half time whistle. Malin burst through the middle, but Letheren saved well.

Dundee started the second half purposefully, pressing hard for an equaliser. There was a sense of urgency, but it was controlled pressure rather than frantically chasing the game. It was a huge relief, but no great surprise, when the goal arrived after 51 minutes.

Willie Dyer played a low pass through the middle. Jim MCALISTER spun on the ball to lose his man, strode forward and scored with a lovely low shot into the corner from 20 yards.

Although Dundee went on to dominate the second half they might have lost a careless second goal almost immediately after the equaliser. The defence switched off to allow Gavin Swankie to run clear, but Kyle Letheren made a marvellous save from his 20 yard shot.

Although most of the play was in the Forfar half the Loons did have one more chance when Swankie nudged the ball on to give Templeman a clear sight of goal from 10 yards, but he shot feebly wide.

The veterans in Forfar's central defence were toiling against the pace and movement of the Dundee strikers and a second goal for Dundee seemed probable. However, Forfar got a boost when Kevin McBride picked up a second yellow card, presumably for diving some 30 yards out. He'd been booked shortly before Forfar's goal for trying to trip Hilson.

Dundee reacted to the sending off by pulling McAlister and Conroy in from the wings to form a three man midfield with Gavin Rae. The change worked seamlessly and Dundee continued to dominate and looked every bit as dangerous as they had before. The full backs deserve a big hand, and a long lie in tomorrow, because they had to work like Trojans, tearing up and down the wings providing width in attack. Irvine and Dyer kept running and running right to the very end of extra time and their contribution was vital.

10 minutes from the end of normal time Forfar's scorer Campbell saved the Loons with a clearance off the line from a Rae shot. Right at the end substitute Martin Boyle ended a fine move with a weak header that caused Hill no problems.

Dundee continued to defy their one man handicap by piling on yet more pressure in extra time. Peter MacDonald was magnificent, holding the ball, running the legs off tiring defenders, and skipping past their challenges. His new partner Boyle was also stretching the defence with his pace. He had a great run down the left, but Hill saved when he cut in to shoot.

Malcolm and Dods were struggling to contain MacDonald. It was no surprise when Mr Cook eventually lost patience and showed Stuart Malcolm a second yellow card just before the break in extra time.

Astonishingly Dundee managed to pick up the pace in the second period of extra time. They went for Forfar's throats and looked capable of running away with the game.

MacDonald's fine run in from the left wing won a corner from which he headed against the crossbar. The ball came back down into the goalmouth but was hacked clear. Boyle then linked cleverly with MacDonald to run through, but he shot across goal and wide.

McAlister ran onto a Boyle pass and turned the last defender but poked the ball agonisingly inches wide. Gavin Rae then strode forward and hit a raking 20 yarder inches past the other post. Conroy and MacDonald both had further efforts as Dundee buzzed around the Forfar penalty area, but neither was close enough to trouble Hill. The lottery of penalty kicks looked inevitable, but Dundee weren't prepared to settle for that.

With the match well into injury time Gary Fusco pulled Boyle down 20 yards from goal. After last week's marvellous goal from Peaso at that same end the Loons must have feared the worst. Peter MACDONALD duly obliged with a delightful free kick, curling his shot over the wall and into the top corner. 121 minutes and 50 seconds on the clock! It was very, very late, but well deserved.

This was a cracking cup tie from which both sides should take great credit. It was a far better game than last week's Ramsdens Cup tie. Dundee certainly played far better, and Forfar made sure that they had to. If Dundee had put in a lifeless performance like last week then they would certainly have been knocked out. The passing and movement were far better. There was real determination to win the game and there were two smashing goals. But really, this should have been a far easier win considering all the chances we created. However, we did create these chances, which is something that's been lacking. Now, we just need to start taking them!

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at August 27th, 2013)

2013-14 All Time
Kyle Letheren (GK)26 6 - 6 -
Willie Dyer26 4 - 4 -
Declan Gallagher22 61342
Gary Irvine28 5 - 1232
Matt Lockwood36 3 - 10510
Ryan Conroy26 6 - 8619
Jim McAlister27 61486
Kevin McBride32 62443
Gavin Rae35 6 - 26730
Peter MacDonald32 6464
Carlo Monti23 6161
Martin Boyle (sub)20 5 - 15 -

League Table (as at August 27th, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

For the second time in just over a week, I'd like to welcome the management team & players of Forfar Athletic to Dens Park.

The last outing was a very competitive one, and I will be stressing to our players that we will need to be at our best tonight if we hope to progress in to the next round.

On Saturday past versus Raith Rovers I felt we had good possession, especially in the first half. We created a number of chances from set pieces and I hope that aspect of our game continues tonight. We do have players who are capable of scoring goals in this squad and if we continue in the same vein I have no doubt it won't be long until we begin to hit the back of the net on a more regular basis.

This team is very much still a work in progress, but I also felt we looked much more solid defensively and was pleased to go to a tough venue such as Starks Park and not concede a goal. Had we had a little more luck, and a couple of key decisions perhaps gone our way then we could very well have left Kirkcaldy with our 2nd consecutive 3 League points in the bag.

Dick Campbell will bring his team here full of confidence after their last performance in which they probably felt a tad hard done by to leave having gone out of the competition.

They have good experience in their team, and we expect them to give us another tough challenge tonight. Forfar threw everything at us in the later stages of the game last week, but I thought we used our substitutes & experience well and managed to catch them on the counter attack.

I'd like to thank the fans who have continued to follow us in large numbers during this busy period of fixtures, and although I've come to expect no less, we do not take that backing for granted. The support here helps to motivate the players on a daily basis, and I assure everyone they're giving no less than 100% each day on the training park to ensure you have a team to be proud of.