Dundee 1
Dundee United 2
Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)

1 - 2
Dundee Utd 

Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)
Sunday, March 3rd, 2013
Dens Park
Attendance: 10,191
12:45 PM Kick-off

Jim McAlister (19)
Brian McLean (11)
Gary Mackay-Steven (35)

Team Managers
John Brown
Jackie McNamara

Starting Eleven
1. Robert Douglas
21. Davide Grassi
25. Lewis Toshney
2. Gary Irvine
26. Brian Easton
6. Iain Davidson
7. Nicky Riley
20. Jim McAlister
11. Ryan Conroy
10. John Baird
15. Steven Milne
Radoslaw Cierzniak .1
Brian McLean .4
Seán Dillon .2
Barry Douglas .3
Keith Watson .12
John Rankin .8
Willo Flood .6
Stuart Armstrong .16
Michael Gardyne .15
Gary Mackay-Steven .11
Jon Daly .9

36. Alex Baird
17. Kyle Benedictus
8. Kevin McBride
27. Mark Stewart
24. Colin Nish
Steve Banks .13
John Souttar .44
Richie Ryan .10
Mark Millar .14
Ryan Gauld .38

Mark Stewart for Nicky Riley (72)
Colin Nish for Steven Milne (80)
Richie Ryan for Michael Gardyne (65)

Nicky Riley (21)
Davide Grassi (86)
Gary Irvine (87)
Gary Mackay-Steven (35)
Keith Watson (86)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Iain Brines (Referee)
Andrew McWilliam & Stephen Mitchell (Assistants)
John McKendrick (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee went out of the Scottish Cup at Dens Park against Dundee United, losing 2-1. The Dee dominated most of the match, but could score only the one goal from Jim McAlister, who equalised Brian McLean's opener. However, with the Dark Blues well on top Gary Mackay-Steven scored on the break and United were able to withstand Dundee's second half pressure to move through to the semi-final.

Brian Easton returned from injury and Davide Grassi came into central defence, with Kyle Benedictus dropping onto the bench and Declan Gallagher missing.

In the previous derbies this season Dundee have started well and conceded an early goal against the run of play. It happened again today, and it was another goal that should have been prevented.

Brian Easton waited for a bouncing ball to come down and Mackay-Steven nicked it away from him out on Dundee's left. The United winger seemed to have put the ball out of play and the Dundee defence stopped fleetingly to appeal. That allowed Mackay-Steven to break infield where Ryan Conroy tripped him.

Douglas took a fine free kick swinging the ball into the danger area where Brian McLEAN headed powerfully into the net from six yards with 11 minutes on the clock.

This time the goal didn't change the pattern of the game and Dundee resumed control. The Dark Blues were moving the ball around well and finding space in United's half. The equaliser was well deserved when it came after 19 minutes.

Steven Milne clipped a pass forward into the penalty area for John Baird to hold it up and lay the ball back for Jim McALISTER to smash it low into the corner of the goal from 16 yards.

The Dark Blues were playing confidently and fluently, forcing United to defend deeply. United looked particularly vulnerable from set pieces and they were fortunate to escape just after the half hour when Davide Grassi was allowed a free header from a Conroy free kick. The Dee defender seemed to lose his bearings and completely miscued his header. The ball fell kindly to leave John Baird in space six yards, but Cierzniak saved with his feet.

The miss proved costly because United scored the winner two minutes later in a rare venture upfield. Flood and Armstrong moved the ball quickly up to MACKAY-STEVEN who shot quickly from the edge of the penalty area, lashing the ball under Douglas.

The goal shook the Dee and took much of the zip out of their game in the remaining 10 minutes of the first half.

Dundee were quickly back onto the attack at the start of the second half. The ball broke to Riley just inside the penalty area, but he hooked his shot well wide. McLean and Cierzniak got confused about each others' intentions, and the defender's header beat his own keeper, but rolled wide for a corner.

Dundee won a string of corners early in the second half, and United were far from impressive in dealing with them. However, the delivery wasn't good enough to create clear chances and punish the Tangerine's uncertainty.

The United forward players were seeing very little of the ball, as United relied on occasional fast breaks upfield. From one of these Gardyne managed to twist into space and force a good low save from Douglas.

The game settled into a long spell with Dundee pressing furiously in United's half. However, the Tangerines defence gradually grew in composure, in open play at least, and the Dark Blues were struggling to open them up. United still looked vulnerable from set pieces, and Grassi made a mess of another free header, from a corner, heading down into the ground and giving Cierzniak the chance to save easily.

Although United couldn't keep possession and build patient moves they did look dangerous when they broke at speed. It was Dundee's turn to switch off when Armstrong was allowed to reach the byline, but no tangerine shirts were on hand when he flashed the ball across the goalmouth.

At the other end an Easton crossed produced confusion in the penalty box, but Dundee couldn't take advantage and McAlister sent his shot over the bar.

John Brown tried to change the game by sending on Mark Stewart and Colin Nish for Nicky Riley and Steven Milne. This time the changes didn't work out, and Dundee lost their shape and fluency. In the first half they had been moving the ball around smoothly and finding space; in the later stages of the game everything was rushed and nervous as the clock started to run down.

It was United who came closest to a late goal when Douglas had to spring to his left to keep out Grassi's misdirected header from a Flood free kick. In the last few minutes United ran the ball into the corners and stopped the Dee staging a late surge. Keith Watson got carried away with the time-wasting when he clashed with Douglas and Grassi, after trying to stop Dundee taking a quick goal kick, and he was booked along with Grassi.

Frustratingly the game ended with Dundee unable to mount a sustained late assault on United's goal. This was a game that Dundee should really not have lost. They were on top for long spells, but they couldn't maintain their high tempo, fast passing game throughout the second half. In the last half hour they were reliant on hard work and optimism, rather than the effective pressing, passing and movement that allowed them to dominate the first hour. The Dee were able to dominate territorially, but the crucial problem was that they could get only the occasional dangerous ball into the United box.

United will certainly be relieved to reach the semi final after a game in which they were never able to get their game together. In the end the difference was down to a momentary loss of concentration and a flash of class from Mackay-Steven. Dundee didn't get the breaks today, but they didn't have anyone with Mackay-Steven's ability to make these breaks happen.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at March 3rd, 2013)

2012-13 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)40 33 - 304 -
Gary Irvine27 33 - 1122
Lewis Toshney20 161161
Davide Grassi27 9 - 9 -
Brian Easton24 11 - 11 -
Ryan Conroy25 2947116
Jim McAlister27 322322
Nicky Riley26 2328911
Iain Davidson29 311311
Steven Milne32 17317144
John Baird27 323323
Mark Stewart (sub)24 162162
Colin Nish (sub)31 253253

League Table (as at March 3rd, 2013)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

As a player, I was lucky enough to be involved in a few Dundee derbies.

These games are great for the city and we are delighted to be involved in such an important fixture. It's one everyone at the club, and indeed the city as a whole has been looking forward to.

Jackie McNamara has only recently taken over at Tannadice, but recent results have certainly been encouraging for him and his backroom staff. They have a talented group of players and we look forward to welcoming them to Dens Park. As much as we will show them the respect they deserve, the welcome ends there and we will get down to business once that first whistle blows.

Against St. Johnstone on Wednesday night, I felt we played well for long periods in the game. Scoring goals is something that has been hard to come by here of late, so to get two in my first game in charge was pleasing. With a little bit more luck we could have certainly taken all three points, and that's something we'll take heart from and build on.

I would like to pay tribute to the players here and the level of commitment they have shown since my arrival. There is no doubt we have some very good players at this club, and if the application they have shown so far continues in the coming weeks and months I'm sure we'll begin to start winning games; starting today.

I was also very grateful for the reception I received from the supporters on Wednesday night and they, as usual, backed the team tremendously well. The way that they stuck with the boys for 90 minutes, and then stayed and applauded them at the end showed to the whole country that we are all pulling in the same direction and by doing just that we give ourselves the best chance of getting to where we want to be.

I know the stadium is a sell out for today's game, and it will be a great atmosphere in front of the TV cameras. There is a strong determination here to put things right, and that was evident in the effort on display during our last game. If we match that today, do the right things and make good decisions, I'm sure we won't be too far away.