Livingston 0
Dundee 2
Scottish Cup (4th Round)


0 - 2


Scottish Cup (4th Round)
Saturday, December 1st, 2012
Almondvale Park
Attendance: 1,432
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Steven Milne (9)
Ryan Conroy (pen.) (17)

Team Managers
Gareth Evans Barry Smith

Starting Eleven
1. Andy McNeil
2. Kyle Jacobs
3. Craig Barr
4. Jesus Garcia Tena
5. Callum Booth
6. Burton O'Brien
7. Tony Andreu
8. Liam Fox
9. Keaghan Jacobs
10. Stefan Scougall
11. Marc McNulty
Robert Douglas .1
Kyle Benedictus .17
Gary Irvine .2
Matt Lockwood .3
Declan Gallagher .18
Jim McAlister .20
Ryan Conroy .11
Kevin McBride .8
Iain Davidson .6
Steven Milne .15
John Baird .10

12. Darren Jamieson
14. Callum Fordyce
15. Kevin McCann
16. Jordan Morton
17. Danny Mullen
Alex Baird .36
Neil McGregor .5
Lewis Toshney .25
Graham Webster .16
Martin Boyle .23

Danny Mullen for Tony Andreu (63)
Jordan Morton for Liam Fox (71)
Martin Boyle for Steven Milne (46)
Lewis Toshney for John Baird (85)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Crawford Allan (Referee)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

A cool and professional performance from Dundee saw them through a potentially tricky Scottish Cup tie at icy Livingston with the minimum of fuss today. The Dee won 2-0 thanks to early goals from Steven Milne and a Ryan Conroy penalty.

The Dee have a superb record at Almondvale in recent years, and Livi never looked like changing that. The only worry for Dark Blues supporters was the sight of Milne limping off at half time.

John Baird replaced the suspended Colin Nish in attack. The only other change from last week was Matt Lockwood returning in place of the missing Nicky Riley. Ryan Conroy moved forward from left back to left midfield while Jim McAlister switched wings to take Riley's spot on the right.

Baird's control and movement caused constant problems for the Livi central defenders in the first half and he was involved in both the goals. After nine minutes he took an Irvine throw in and played a simple ball to the feet of Steven MILNE, who turned away from his marker and shot across keeper McNeil from 12 yards to open the scoring. Gareth Evans, the new Livingston manager, must have been furious at the ease with which Dundee opened up his defence.

Livingston were playing neat passing football but lacked the penetration that Dundee enjoyed with their faster and more direct game. Baird and McAlister worked a fine move that ended with Conroy stabbing the ball wide, but the midfielder had strayed into an offside position.

The second goal followed quickly. Livingston had a throw in deep in their own half. Milne, McAister and Baird pressed Livi aggressively to win the ball. John Baird spun round Tena, the Spanish centre back, and was dumped to the ground for a clear penalty. Ryan CONROY tucked the ball away with no problems.

Livingston nearly pulled a quick goal back following a corner. A Fox shot was deflected beyond Douglas's reach, but Davidson did well to clear off the line. At the other end a Conroy corner led to Booth pulling off an even better goal-line clearance. He stretched acrobatically to get his head to Milne's header that seemed sure to reach the back of the net.

McNeil couldn't hold Baird's fierce 25 yard shot, but recovered the ball just in time before Milne could turn it into the empty net. More good play from Baird on the right gave Conroy the chance to shoot from 15 yards, but a deflection sent the ball spinning just round the post.

Shortly before half time Milne was caught by a late challenge from Fox and was clearly in trouble. Not surprisingly Martin Boyle replaced him at half time.

The young striker showed some good touches, and a dangerous turn of pace, but the second half was largely a non-event. Dundee looked content to sit on their lead and see the game out, while Livingston enjoyed lots of possession but lacked the penetration to open up Dundee.

Livi didn't have a clear chance in the second half till the 90th minute. A neat passing move finally created some space in the penalty area, but McNulty shot tamely at Douglas.

Until then Dundee's disciplined and well organised defence had foiled Livi repeatedly. Up against a Dundee back line that was giving nothing away the home side let themselves down by over-elaboration, reluctance to shoot, poor decision making and careless final balls.

The ball spent less time up at the Livingston end, but the Dee had the better chances in the second half. A Boyle shot from 12 yards was turned desperately inches over his own bar by Tena. McNeil then saved superbly to keep out a fierce shot from Benedictus following a corner.

Dundee struggled against lower division opponents in the league cup earlier in the season and Livingston must have fancied their chances of embarrassing the Dark Blues today. However, the Dundee players turned up with the right attitude and won through with a solid, professional performance in which the whole team worked well together.

There might not have been many real thrills, but we saw plenty of composure and and hard work from the Dark Blues. That was certainly good enough on the day at a ground where Dundee have now won eight games out of ten in the last six years. The players approached the match as if they expected that run to continue, and got the win they deserved.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at December 1st, 2012)

2012-13 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)40 18 - 289 -
Gary Irvine27 18 - 972
Kyle Benedictus20 151651
Declan Gallagher21 8 - 8 -
Matt Lockwood36 1519110
Ryan Conroy25 1846016
Jim McAlister27 17 - 17 -
Iain Davidson28 17 - 17 -
Kevin McBride31 91201
Steven Milne32 11316544
John Baird27 17 - 17 -
Lewis Toshney (sub)20 6 - 6 -
Martin Boyle (sub)19 8 - 8 -

League Table (as at December 1st, 2012)

No league table has been added for this season.