Dundee 3
Hibernian 1
League (Premier League)

3 - 1

League (Premier League)
Saturday, November 17th, 2012
Dens Park
Attendance: 6,743
3:00 PM Kick-off

Kyle Benedictus (21)
Steven Milne (47)
Kevin McBride (pen.) (52)
Leigh Griffiths (90)

Team Managers
Barry Smith
Pat Fenlon

Starting Eleven
1. Robert Douglas
2. Gary Irvine
17. Kyle Benedictus
3. Matt Lockwood
18. Declan Gallagher
20. Jim McAlister
8. Kevin McBride
7. Nicky Riley
6. Iain Davidson
24. Colin Nish
15. Steven Milne
Ben Williams .1
Alan Maybury .18
Paul Hanlon .4
Ryan McGivern .3
Lewis Stevenson .16
David Wotherspoon .14
Tom Taiwo .20
Jorge Claros .8
Paul Cairney .11
Leigh Griffiths .9
Eoin Doyle .10

36. Alex Baird
5. Neil McGregor
25. Lewis Toshney
16. Graham Webster
11. Ryan Conroy
23. Martin Boyle
10. John Baird
Sean Murdoch .31
Ivan Sproule .17
Danny Handling .24
Sam Stanton .26
Ross Caldwell .29
Shefki Kuqi .32
Bradley Donaldson .36

John Baird for Steven Milne (80)
Ryan Conroy for Nicky Riley (82)
Lewis Toshney for Colin Nish (92)
Shefki Kuqi for Eoin Doyle (56)
Ivan Sproule for Jorge Claros (71)
Ross Caldwell for Lewis Stevenson (84)

None. Alan Maybury (51)
Lewis Stevenson (80)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Brian Colvin (Referee)
Billy Baxter & David McGeachie (Assistants)
Stephen Finnie (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee's form may have picked up over the last few weeks, but who saw that coming? Hibs were top of the SPL this morning, but were second best throughout today's thrilling match at Dens with Dundee fully deserving their three goals and three points.

Kyle Benedictus opened the scoring with a marvellous 20 yard shot, his first senior goal. Stephen Milne and Kevin McBride tied up the points with goals early in the second half before Leigh Griffiths scored a consolation at the end.

This was a tremendous Dundee performance, with the Dark Blues winning their battles all over the pitch.

Dundee were unchanged for the third successive game and started confidently, looking far more like a team at the top than Hibs. The visitors' defence looked nervous all along the back line and couldn't hold onto the ball in midfield, leaving Griffiths and Doyle frustrated upfield with little support.

Hibs could have conceded a ridiculously soft goal following a communication breakdown between keeper Williams and Hanlon, which allowed Milne to get a toe to the ball. The Hibs defenders were hugely relieved to see the ball bobble wide.

Riley and McAlister were attacking aggressively down both wings and things were looking promising for the Dee. A careless Hibs' pass gifted possession to Riley, who shot narrowly wide from 25 yards.

The Dee deservedly took the lead after 21 minutes. McAlister's corner from the left was half cleared. Kyle BENEDICTUS caught the ball 20 yards out, turned and lashed an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

The goal sparked Hibs into their best spell of the first half. Wotherspoon pulled his 18 yard shot wide after a good run, and then the same player couldn't quite reach a dangerous Cairney cross.

Dundee came back strongly towards the end of the half and had the Hibs' defence reeling under the pressure. Davidson teed up Milne 15 yards out, but the Dundee striker was felled by Taiwo's challenge from behind before he could shoot. Referee Mr Colvin enraged the home supporters by waving play on.

The visitors had to endure more pressure before they could get to the dressing room; Gallagher had a shot charged down after a corner, and then Davidson headed wide from McAlister's cross.

Hibs manager Pat Fenlon must have been hoping he'd be able to sort his side out at half time. But it was the Dee who turned the screw at the start of the second half and Hibs imploded.

A minute after the restart Dundee won a free kick wide on the right. In the first half Matt Lockwood had caused problems with his delivery from a similar position. This time he flighted the ball beautifully into the heart of the penalty area and the Hibs' defence disintegrated. Declan Gallagher nodded the ball down and Stephen MILNE bundled the ball over the line. The ball was hacked clear, but the assistant referee signalled that it was already across the line.

The second goal was well deserved, and it was just the boost the Dark Blue support craved. They cranked up the volume in delight as they roared on the team. Hibs were in shock and their defence was at fault again when Colin Nish was allowed too much space to run into the penalty area after taking a long ball from Gallagher. Maybury bundled him over from behind and this time there was no escape for Hibs. Mr Colvin pointed to the spot. Kevin McBRIDE hammered the penalty home and the Dundee supporters were partying!

The excitement didn't let up as Hibs chased the game frantically trying to claw their way back into contention. The visitors saw plenty of the ball, but struggled to get through the resolute Dark Blue back line, and were constantly harried into losing possession in midfield. When Dundee had the ball the fragile Hibs defence never looked comfortable.

Leigh Griffiths was by far Hibs' greatest threat, and twice brought out the best from Rab Douglas. The Dee keeper beat out a fierce free kick from the ex Dens hero, and then made a fine save from a ferocious 20 yarder.

At the other end Colin Nish flicked on an Irvine throw, but Williams saved Milne's header.

The longer the game went on the more Hibs pushed forward and the more vulnerable they looked at the back, but Dundee couldn't exploit any of their breaks out of defence.

John Baird replaced Stephen Milne and nearly created an immediate fourth goal. He did well to get his cross into Nish, who turned at the near post and forced Williams to save well with hsi feet.

Only in the last few minutes did the game slow down. Leigh GRIFFITHS never gave up, and deserved his 90th minute goal when he crashed a great 25 yard shot into the top corner. By that time the points were secure for the Dee, and the muted applause around the ground was from Dundee supporters as much as the disappointed visiting support.

Stephen Milne got a great ovation when he was substituted and was named the sponsor's man of the match. It couldn't have been easy because there wasn't a weakness anywhere in the Dundee side and every single player can be proud of his performance. The Dundee defence was excellent yet again, all five of them. The midfield harried Hibs constantly, winning the ball, forcing errors, winning the 50-50 balls and moving the ball on to put Hibs under pressure. Up front Milne and Nish's understanding and experience had the Hibs' defenders in all sorts of trouble.

When the fans eventually trooped out of Dens after cheering the players off the pitch nearly every man, woman and child had a big cheesy grin! I wonder if they've faded yet. This was an excellent performance and it was much appreciated by the fans. It was a great day for the Dark Blues!

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at November 17th, 2012)

2012-13 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)40 16 - 287 -
Kyle Benedictus20 131631
Gary Irvine27 16 - 952
Declan Gallagher21 6 - 6 -
Matt Lockwood36 1419010
Kevin McBride31 71181
Jim McAlister27 15 - 15 -
Iain Davidson28 15 - 15 -
Nicky Riley26 917510
Colin Nish31 112112
Steven Milne32 9216343
Lewis Toshney (sub)20 5 - 5 -
Ryan Conroy (sub)25 1625814
John Baird (sub)27 15 - 15 -

League Table (as at November 17th, 2012)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Welcome to Dens Park for this afternoon's fixture against Hibs.

It's great to be able to write to you in more positive terms and there's no doubt our turn in fortune has been down to the hard work shown by the players in recent games, and the great backing we have received as ever from all of you. For large parts of the Hearts game the crowd got right behind the boys, and that certainly keeps players going late in the game when you're defending a lead. I thought our work rate and determination against John McGlynn's men was there for all to see, and we defended well when we needed to against a good physical team. Our concentration was much better also, and that is something that continued into the game last week against Motherwell.

I watched Stuart McCall's men last midweek against Dundee United and they were unlucky to lose that game, showing that they have many players who could cause us problems if we allowed them too. Fir Park is a difficult pace for any team to go, and I felt we played very well in the first half and defended very well after the break. Both teams had chances to take all three points during the 90 minutes, and I thought we were fully worthy of our point. Some of the football we played during spells was very pleasing and that's what I'll be looking for again today. I've spoken about the importance of consistency many times this season, and that's something we've been missing in lots of different ways, but certainly being able to play the same starting XI in consecutive weeks has helped us greatly.

Our opponents today have been doing very well also and credit must go to Pat Fenlon for the positive impact he's had on his team this season. They are playing with lots of confidence, have been defending well and scoring good goals. I have told my players this week that they have reason to have self belief at the moment, and this game can't come quickly enough for them. After taking some knocks recently they are desperate to continue to stamp their mark on the SPL, and if we carry on doing the right things there is no reason why we can't take something from. the game today. If we keep on sticking together, both on the park and in the stands, we'll have a far better chance of doing just that.

Enjoy the game.