Peterhead 0
Dundee 0 (1-4 on pens)
League Cup (1st Round)


0 - 0
(1-4 on pens.)


League Cup (1st Round)
Tuesday, July 31st, 2012
Balmoor Stadium
Attendance: 844
7:45 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Jim McInally Barry Smith

Starting Eleven
1. Paul Jarvie
2. Graeme Sharp
3. Scott Ross
4. Ryan Strachan
5. Callum McDonald
6. Jamie Redman
7. Dean Cowie
8. Scott McLaughlin
9. Steven Noble
10. Rory McAllister
11. Robbie Winters
Robert Douglas .1
Gary Irvine .2
Kyle Benedictus .17
Neil McGregor .5
Matt Lockwood .3
Declan Gallagher .18
Graham Webster .16
Ryan Conroy .11
Kevin McBride .8
Leighton McIntosh .14
John Baird .10

12. Roy McBain
14. Darren Kelly
15. Bryan Deasley
16. Stephen Maguire
17. Cameron Knowles
Barry Smith
Jamie Reid .33
Danny Cavanagh .37
Jamie McCluskey .19
John Baird .10

Bryan Deasley for Robbie Winters (69)
Roy McBain for Dean Cowie (94)
Stephen Maguire for Jamie Redman (102)
Jamie Reid for Graham Webster (110)

Graeme Sharp (64) Kyle Benedictus (24)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Alastair Mather (Referee)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee scraped through tonight's 1st round League Cup tie at Balmoor in the most unconvincing manner possible, winning a penalty shoot out 4-1 against Peterhead, after two hours of scrappy football had failed to produce a goal. The home side will certainly be disappointed after edging the game in normal time and passing up a string of good chances in the last few minutes of extra time.

Matt Lockwood was able to play after signing a new contract. However, Dundee's injury problems forced them to rejig the side with Gary Irvine playing in central midfield, Kyle Benedictus at right back and Graham Webster at right midfield. Youngster Danny Cavanagh made the bench for the first time, where he was joined by Barry Smith, who has not played a senior game for nearly two years.

The changes must have contributed to a lack of confidence and cohesion throughout the game, with Dundee never able to take charge of the game against 3rd Division opponents.

The Dee nearly got off to a perfect start when John Baird came close with an 18 yard dipping volley after only 17 seconds, but it was a long wait for the Dee to trouble the Peterhead defence again.

The home side had slightly the better of a poor opening to the game. They might have taken the lead when a simple ball over the top allowed McAllister to run clear on the right, but his shot flashed across Douglas and just past the far post.

Midway through the half Peterhead again came close with a 20 yard free kick from McLaughlin but Douglas leapt across goal to pull off a fine save.

At last the Dee woke up and put some serious pressure on the home goal. A Ryan Conroy corner found Graham Webster lurking on the edge of the area and his looping header was cleared off the line by Ross.

Another Dee corner was headed down by Webster and McGregor's overhead kick forced a great save from Jarvie. The home keeper was again in impressive form to deny Conroy, who had raced 70 yards after taking a quick throw from Douglas after a Peterhead corner.

Dundee's improved performance late in the first half offered hope to the travelling fans, but the Dee couldn't sustain it after the break. The game was bogged down in a midfield battle, with endless mistakes, wild passes and crunching tackles. The referee, Mr Mather, seemed in a generous mood and tried to let the game flow, but neither side was able to hold onto the ball or trouble the goalkeepers.

Rory McAllister broke clear early in the half, but shot wildly over. McAllister and Robbie Winters, still clever and inventive at 37, gave McGregor and Gallagher a hard game, and Dundee often looked vulnerable through the middle. Gradually Dundee started to have more of the ball as the half dragged on, but were only dangerous from set pieces.

Extra time always looked likely and when it eventually arrived Dundee looked the stronger side. A Gary Irvine through ball found Webster running in from the right and he lifted the ball over Jarvie only to see it bounce just past the post.

Dundee kept pressing in unimpressive style without creating more chances and Peterhead looked exhausted. However, it was the home side who were able to raise themselves for a late charge at the Dee that should have won them the game.

Rory McAllister flicked a cross over his own head, setting up former Dee Bryan Deasley with a great chance to nod the ball past Douglas, but the substitute skyed the ball well over the bar. McAllister then shot inches wide from 18 yards, with the home supporters already starting to celebrate. Finally McLaughlin's close range header was blocked on the line by Douglas when a goal seemed certain.

Dundee were by far the happier side to see the game go to penalties, and they made Peterhead pay dearly for their wastefulness.

If the Dee were poor throughout the match they were immaculate in the shoot out. Kevin McBride, John Baird and Gary Irvine all scored emphatically. Rory McAllister dispatched Peterhead's first penalty comfortably, but then it all fell apart for the home side. Ex Dee Callum McDonald's weak penalty was easily saved by Douglas, and McLaughlin battered Peterhead's third penalty off the crossbar.

Ryan Conroy trotted forward to score the winning penalty without any trouble, and Dundee were through after a remarkably straightforward penalty shootout that seemed very strange after such a tense and dreadfully uncomfortable match.

The good points? We're through, and, well, that's it really. Dundee didn't play at all well tonight and the players looked uncomfortable with this line up. John Baird kept dropping deep where he was busy and effective, but rarely saw the ball in the penalty area. Ryan Conroy looked most likely to create something from midfield, and Declan Gallagher looked better the longer the game went on.

Barry Smith clearly needs to add to the squad. The delay in being able to sign players and the injury problems meant that this cup tie was a real booby trap. But we got away with, and I doubt if I was the only Dundee fan who greeted the winning penalty with a sigh of relief rather than a roar of triumph.

Match report written by James Christie for the official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at July 31st, 2012)

2012-13 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)40 1 - 272 -
Declan Gallagher21 1 - 1 -
Matt Lockwood35 1 - 779
Neil McGregor27 1 - 321
Kyle Benedictus20 1 - 51 -
Gary Irvine27 1 - 802
Kevin McBride31 1 - 12 -
Ryan Conroy25 1 - 4312
Graham Webster20 1 - 5 -
John Baird26 1 - 1 -
Leighton McIntosh19 1 - 345
Jamie Reid (sub)17 1 - 21

League Table (as at July 31st, 2012)

No league table has been added for this season.