Ayr United 3
Dundee 2
League (First Division)

Ayr Utd 

3 - 2


League (First Division)
Saturday, April 28th, 2012
Somerset Park
Attendance: 1,656
3:00 PM Kick-off

Keigan Parker (61)
Keigan Parker (81)
Ross Robertson (89)
Ryan Conroy (15)
Steven Milne (70)

Team Managers
Brian Reid Barry Smith

Starting Eleven
1. Kevin Cuthbert
2. Jonathan Tiffoney
3. Adam Dodd
4. John Robertson
5. Chris Smith
6.Andy Geggan
7. Alan Trouten
8. Liam Tomsett
9. Keigan Parker
10. Mark Roberts
11. Michael Moffat
Robert Douglas
Gary Irvine
Rhys Weston
Craig McKeown
Matt Lockwood
Kyle Benedictus
Kevin McBride
Ryan Conroy
Stephen O'Donnell
Nicky Riley
Steven Milne

12. Ryan McWilliams
14. Jackson Longridge
15. Steven Hutchinson
16. Ross Robertson
17. Roddy Paterson
John Gibson .12
Mark Fotheringham .14
Ross Chisholm .15
Jake Hyde .16
Leighton McIntosh .17

Steven Hutchinson for John Robertson (8)
Jackson Longridge for Adam Dodd (19)
Ross Robertson for Steven Hutchinson (85)
Leighton McIntosh for Gary Irvine (91)

Liam Tomsett (53)
Andy Geggan (81)
Kevin McBride (24)
Craig McKeown (60)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Alan Muir (Referee)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee took to the pitch this afternoon in special anniversary strip as this trip to Somerset fell exactly 50 years to the date of Dundee league title winning match against St. Johnstone in 1962. For these players though it ended in defeat as Ayr battled for a win that secured they will finish in at least ninth place.

Barry Smith made five changes from the team that lost 3-0 at home to Partick Thistle last weekend. Neil McGregor was suspended and Jamie McCluskey injured with Jake Hyde, Leighton McIntosh and Mark Fotheringham all dropping to the bench. The were replaced in a side which was reshuffled.

Nicky Riley returned to the starting line up for the first time since January 2nd but in an unfamiliar role up front alongside another returning player Steven Milne. Kyle Benedictus came in at right back and Craig McKeown came in for McGregor at center half. Kevin McBride returned after suspension.

Milne and Riley combined to give Dundee the first chance of the game with Riley shooting wide after Milne had flicked on after about 60 seconds of action.

The first action of the match for the home side was a forced substitution due to injury but in goal mouth action it was Dundee who pushed for the opener.

A free kick wide on the left found it's way to McKeown who could only head over at the front post.

Ayr's first chance came when Roberts crossed for Moffat arriving in the box but with a header could only direct it straight at Douglas. Three minutes later Dundee were infront.

Chris Smith's header back to Cuthbert was short and Ryan Conroy nipped in to poke the ball past the Ayr keeper. It was a goal on the day the winger celebrates his 25th birthday and he'll receive few better gifts than that short back pass in his career.

Ayr were forced into another change after 20 mins with Dodd being replaced by Longridge.

The last chance of the half fell to the home side as they upped the pressure. Trouten saw Benedictus then Weston blocked shots before the ball ended up in the net but only after the linesman had flagged for offside against Parker.

Neither side was really in control and Riley hit the top of the bar with a dipping volley from 25 yards in the first real effort of the second period.

Just after the hour mark Parker found himself in behind and when McKeown fouled the home side were given a free kick right on the edge of the box. Parker dusted himself down and curled the ball perfectly into the top corner, giving Douglas no chance.

Douglas did get to the next shot though after Roberts struck a shot on the turn which looked to be dipping in but the Dundee number one tipped round the post. From the resulting corner the ball bounced up over Douglas but Benedictus was on hand to head off the line.

Just as Ayr seemed to be pushing more, Dundee took the lead again.

O'Donnell played a cross field pass the Irvine coming in at the back post. Irvine headed across goal and found Milne coming in at the back post who headed past Cuthbert.

Ayr did continue to push and Moffat had the best chance of the period but headed over.

Dundee were handed a free kick 20 yards out which was set up perfectly for Conroy to add to his opener but although he got it up and down Cuthbert got a hand on it to tip onto the roof of the net.

That was to be Dundee last chance real as Ayr pegged them back and with six minutes remaining Parker scored one of the goals of the season, again giving Douglas no chance.

Trouten chipped the ball into the middle and Parker showed his experience turning the ball home with a superb scissor kick. From that point on it seemed like only one team was going to win and they did get that goal thanks to the second poor headed back pass of the match.

The ball was played into the Dundee box and after Matt Lockwood couldn't get proper contact on it Ayr sub Ross Robertson nipped in just like Conroy had and placed past Douglas to give Ayr the points.

It was a third defeat on the bounce for a Dundee team who still require a point from the final day against Livingston to confirm a 2nd place finish.

Match report written by Tommy Young - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at April 28th, 2012)

2011-12 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)40 42 - 270 -
Kyle Benedictus20 14 - 49 -
Matt Lockwood35 414769
Craig McKeown27 32 - 1041
Rhys Weston31 291631
Gary Irvine27 421782
Nicky Riley25 284659
Stephen O'Donnell28 394777
Ryan Conroy25 41124112
Kevin McBride30 10 - 10 -
Steven Milne31 361615341
Leighton McIntosh (sub)19 201325

League Table (as at April 28th, 2012)

No league table has been added for this season.