Dumbarton 0
Dundee 4
League Cup (1st Round)


0 - 4


League Cup (1st Round)
Saturday, July 30th, 2011
Dumbarton Football Stadium
Attendance: 870
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Steven Milne (48)
Jamie McCluskey (67)
Steven Milne (73)
Matt Lockwood (pen.) (84)

Team Managers
Alan Adamson Barry Smith

Starting Eleven
1. Stephen Grindlay
2. Jamie Lyden
3. Kevin Nicoll
4. Alan Lithgow
5. Paul Nugent
6. Martin McBride
7. Scott Agnew
8. Kieran Brannan
9. Mark Gilhaney
10. Bryan Prunty
11. Graeme Ramage
Robert Douglas .1
Gary Irvine .2
Craig McKeown .3
Rhys Weston .4
Matt Lockwood .5
Jamie McCluskey .6
Stephen O'Donnell .7
Ross Chisholm .8
Ryan Conroy .9
Steven Milne .10
Leighton McIntosh .11

12. Jamie Ewings
14. Robert Connolly
15. Adam Monaghan
16. Tony Wallace
17. Ryan Metcalfe
John Gibson .12
Kyle Benedictus .14
Neil McGregor .15
Nicky Riley .16
Jake Hyde .17

Tony Wallace for Martin McBride (68)
Ryan Metcalfe for Graeme Ramage (73)
Adam Monaghan for Kevin Nicoll (81)
Nicky Riley for Jamie McCluskey (71)
Jake Hyde for Leighton McIntosh (77)

Mark Gilhaney (60)
Paul Nugent (83)
Stephen O'Donnell (63)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

John Beaton (Referee)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee won through to the 2nd round of the League Cup, beating 2nd Division Dumbarton 4-0 at Strathclyde Homes Stadium.

In truth the victory was nowhere near as impressive as the scoreline, and Dundee were only comfortable after a marvellous solo goal from Jamie McCluskey put them 2-0 up midway through the second half.

Until then a surprisingly nervous and disjointed Dee had seemed vulnerable against a home side who looked fully capable of causing a shock for the first hour till Dundee's greater quality and better finishing allowed them to pull clear. In fairness to the Sons most of the breaks went Dundee's way today.

Dundee started with the same 11 players who finished last Saturday's match against Arbroath; McKeown and McIntosh keeping their places instead of Benedictus and Hyde. Dundee's first half performance was very similar to the first 45 minutes at Gayfield last week. Neat passing moves that never produced a final ball that worried Dumbarton were mixed up with long balls that simply conceded possession Fortunately, Dumbarton didn't carry the attacking threat that Arbroath offered, though they did have the best chances of the half.

Worryingly the Dundee didn't make the Sons work hard for their chances. Although Dundee were the better side in possession, simple mistakes and loss of concentration could well have gifted Dumbarton an easy lead.

Rab Douglas created a scare when his attempted pass to Irvine was intercepted by Ramage, but fortunately when the ball reached Lyden he tried to beat Douglas from an impossible angle rather than playing the ball across goal. Weston was short with a header back to Douglas per the Ramage reached the ball fractionally before the keeper. ball ricocheted off both players and behind for a goal kick.

The closest chance of the first half came when the Dee defence allowed a long free kick to float all the way to the far post where Prunty stabbed the ball across goal. No home players were following up as the ball rolled across the gaping goal and just past the other post.

Dundee had plenty of shots, but they were of more concern to car owners than Sons' keeper Grindlay as they sailed into the car park.

The second half was only a couple of minutes old before Dundee created their first clear chance and gratefully grabbed it.

A corner was cleared as far as Irvine who nodded the ball back to the edge of the box. Chisholm helped it on and McIntosh nodded the ball down for MILNE to shoot past Grindlay from close range.

Although the Dee were looking more composed with the ball they looked surprisingly vulnerable when Dumbarton. attacked through the middle. Both keepers made fine saves in quick succession to keep the score at 1-0. First Douglas foiled Brannan and then Grindlay saved well from Milne.

Dundee had a big let off when Prunty burst clear and McKeown took a handful of his shirt before he reached the penalty area. Prunty kept going but screwed his shot wide. Craig McKeown should be very grateful that Prunty chose not to go down, and that the referee surprisingly ignored the big defender's indiscretion.

Jamie MCCLUSKEY had been looking Dundee's best player and he settled the nerves and effectively killed the match with a brilliant individual goal that delighted the travelling Dees.

He collected the ball on the right wing, dribbled past two defenders and shot into the roof of the net from 15 yards. Ramage wasted a good chance when he was left in a ridiculous amount of space 10 yards out, but he headed weakly wide and the Sons were finally sunk.

Steven Milne and Ryan Conroy combined neatly outside the area, and Conroy slipped a neat ball through for MILNE, who'd kept running, to score calmly.

Nicky Riley replaced Jamie McCluskey for the last quarter of an hour, the wee winger getting a standing ovation from the Dundee support.

Jake Hyde came on for Leighton McIntosh and nearly scored a quick goal, but Grindlay turned his shot wide. Riley ensured that Dundee's threat down the right was maintained and he won a penalty when he drove to the byline and was fouled by Lythgow. Matt LOCKWOOD fired high into the net to complete the scoring.

Dundee were in full control now and looked likely to add to their goals against a defence that was crumbling. I

n the end there was plenty for the Dundee fans to enjoy as the Dee ran out comfortable winners with some fine finishing, and one outstanding goal, but there are still things to sort out.

Like last week Dundee weren't getting dangerous balls into the box till the second half, and a better side than Dumbarton would have ensured that a relatively hesitant defence did not get away with a clean sheet.

Still, a lovely sunny July day, a 4-0 win in a neat wee stadium. It was a pretty good day out.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at July 30th, 2011)

2011-12 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)39 2 - 230 -
Craig McKeown26 2 - 741
Matt Lockwood34 21376
Rhys Weston30 2 - 36 -
Gary Irvine26 2 - 381
Ryan Conroy24 2 - 2 -
Stephen O'Donnell28 21404
Ross Chisholm23 2 - 2 -
Jamie McCluskey23 2121
Leighton McIntosh18 2 - 144
Steven Milne31 2311928
Nicky Riley (sub)25 1 - 385
Jake Hyde (sub)21 2 - 43

League Table (as at July 30th, 2011)

No league table has been added for this season.