Falkirk 3
Dundee 3
League (First Division)


3 - 3


League (First Division)
Saturday, October 30th, 2010
Falkirk Stadium
Attendance: 4,667
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Leigh Griffiths (2)
Sean Higgins (7)
David Witteveen (84)

Team Managers
Stephen Pressley Barry Smith

Starting Eleven
1. Bobby Olejnik
2. Jason Marr
3. Brian McLean
4. Mehdi Khalis
5. Marc Twaddle
6. Mark Millar
7. Burton O'Brien
8. Ryan Flynn
9. Kallum Higginbotham
10. Carl Finnigan
11. Mark Stewart
Robert Douglas .1
Gary Irvine .2
Craig McKeown .3
Rhys Weston .4
Matt Lockwood .5
Nicky Riley .6
Jamie Adams .7
Stephen O'Donnell .8
Gary Harkins .9
Leigh Griffiths .10
Sean Higgins .11

12. Jamie Barclay
14. Chris Mitchell
15. Kieran Duffie
16. Kenny Deuchar
17. Tam Scobbie
Scott Findlay .12
Kyle Benedictus .14
Gary Bartlett .15
Craig Forsyth .16
David Witteveen .17

Kenny Deuchar for Jason Marr (64)
Tam Scobbie for Brian McLean (80)
David Witteveen for Sean Higgins (63)
Craig Forsyth for Gary Harkins (76)

None. Stephen O'Donnell (40)
Leigh Griffiths (85)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Brian Winter (Referee)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

As exciting and frustrating as it gets!

After digging themselves out of a hole last week it was Dundee’s turn to throw away a two goal lead at Falkirk today. Even worse, when they took the lead again they couldn’t hold out for the last seven minutes.

Dundee didn’t hang around on their first competitive visit to the Falkirk Stadium and raced into a two goal lead that stunned the hosts and delighted the large and noisy travelling support.

In the second minute Dundee were awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area. Higgins kick was charged down and Harkins quickly switched play to the right. GRIFFITHS checked onto his left foot and from 18 yards flighted a superb chip over Olejnik and under the bar.

Dundee then ripped open the Bairns' defence with a marvellous one touch passing move, but Griffiths was offside when he turned Irvine's cross into the net.

However, the second goal arrived almost immediately. Griffiths took the ball just inside the Falkirk half and chipped his pass through the defence to send HIGGINS clear and stab the ball past the keeper.

Falkirk were shaken and for the rest of the half struggled to get their game together. They lost their shape in midfield and kept on losing possession carelessly. Dundee’s defence took no risks and looked solid, though they were helped by a succession of poor final balls from the home side.

Dundee meanwhile were far more composed and continued to look dangerous on the break with some crisp passing football. At half time everything was looking good for Dundee, but sadly for the Dee the second half was a far more stressful affair!

Dundee nearly made a perfect start to the second half, and a lovely passing move ended with Riley’s header being saved by Olejnik. A third goal would probably have killed the game, but for a long spell it looked as if it wouldn’t be needed.

Falkirk were still toiling and their attacks were largely dependent on the skills of the talented youngster Flynn on the left. Apart from him their attacking was ponderous and created little danger.

Steven Pressley’s response was to gamble and go double or quits. He took off right back Marr and send on big striker Kenny Deuchar. The extra man in attack gave the home side a huge boost. Deuchar might not have contributed much directly, but his forceful presence at last freed up space for his teammates. Every Falkirk attack suddenly carried a huge threat.

Flynn sliced a great chance wide, a Finnigan cut-back flew across the goalmouth with no takers and a Deuchar header went just over.

With 18 minutes left Falkirk got the goal they’d been threatening. A neat passing move through the middle ended with Flynn sending STEWART clear and he fired past Douglas from 12 yards.

Before Dundee were able to regain their composure the Bairns were level. Falkirk varied their normal corner routine and hit the jackpot

Instead of dropping the ball into a crowded goalmouth Higginbotham passed short to Flynn, took the return and drove the ball to the near post where STEWART glanced home a header for his second goal.

At last Dundee got to grips with the game and substitute Witteveen almost had them back in the lead, but Olejnik saved brilliantly after Griffiths had set up the chance.

Both sets of fans were in full voice as the two teams went all out for the winner.

The Falkirk gamble of removing their right back backfired seven minutes from time when the right hand side of the home defence evaporated. Dundee took a free kick just inside the home half. Lockwood had all the time and space he could have wanted to send Forsyth clear to cross deep beyond the far post. Riley headed down for Griffiths, who crashed the ball against the post and WITTEVEEN prodded the ball into the gaping net.

The Dundee support had been noisy all through, and celebrated long and loudly. Sadly, some fans took the celebrations too far and rushed onto the park.

The game looked safe for Dundee, and Riley tried to add a spectacular fourth with a long range effort that flew a couple of feet over.

Unfortunately for Dundee the Bairns weren’t finished. Flynn hooked a fierce cross over Douglas beyond the far post, where Deuchar headed over the bar under pressure from McKeown. Referee Brian Winter decided that the pressure was illegal and gave Falkirk a penalty, which MILLER gratefully blasted home.

Dundee were sandbagged this time. They couldn’t rouse themselves to grab a winner, but handled Falkirk’s spirited charge for a winner without any late scares.

This was a smashing game for a neutral. It showed the First Division at its very best, but I doubt if either manager was truly satisfied with the point. Dundee should have held out for a win, and Falkirk will certainly feel that they’d have won if they’d not been left snoozing at the starting blocks when the referee’s whistle started the match.

I’m sure every fan would have admitted they got their full money’s worth today. If either side had sneaked out on top the victorious supporters would have celebrated long into the night, and been talking about that wonderful match between Falkirk and Dundee for many years to come.

This was a game when we saw the best and worst of both sides. Perhaps no side that ships three goals truly deserves to win, and no side that scores three times really deserves to lose. A draw might have been fair in the end, but oh Dundee, why couldn’t you have hung on for those last few minutes to give the poor supporters something to really smile about!

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at October 30th, 2010)

2010-11 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)38 12 - 203 -
Rhys Weston30 10 - 10 -
Gary Irvine25 12 - 12 -
Craig McKeown25 15 - 48 -
Matt Lockwood34 101101
Gary Harkins25 1526020
Jamie Adams23 12 - 12 -
Nicky Riley24 143143
Stephen O'Donnell27 141141
Leigh Griffiths20 1585429
Sean Higgins26 1434610
Craig Forsyth (sub)21 13 - 516
David Witteveen (sub) - 3131

League Table (as at October 30th, 2010)

No league table has been added for this season.