Stirling Albion 1
Dundee 1
League (First Division)

Stirling Albion 

1 - 1


League (First Division)
Saturday, October 16th, 2010
Forthbank Stadium
Attendance: 1,578
3:00 PM Kick-off

Ross Forsyth (70) Leigh Griffiths (56)

Team Managers
John O'Neill Barry Smith

Starting Eleven
1. Callum Reidford
2. Jonny Brown
3. Scott Buist
4. Martyn Corrigan
5. Scott Robertson
6. Ross Forsyth
7. Jerome Heeking
8. Chris Aitken
9. Nathan Taggart
10. Ryan Borris
11. Gordon Smith
Robert Douglas .1
Gary Irvine .2
Craig McKeown .3
Rhys Weston .4
Matt Lockwood .5
Nicky Riley .6
Jamie Adams .7
Stephen O'Donnell .8
Gary Harkins .9
Leigh Griffiths .10
Sean Higgins .11

12. Scott Christie
14. Michael Mullen
15. John Kane
16. Sylvano Comvalius
17. Brian Allison
Scott Findlay .12
Kyle Benedictus .14
Ross Carnegie .15
Craig Forsyth .16
Leighton McIntosh .17

Sylvano Comvalius for Ryan Borris (63)
Brian Allison for Gordon Smith (86)
Craig Forsyth for Sean Higgins (78)

Martyn Corrigan (16)
Ross Forsyth (79)
Chris Aitken (80)
Jamie Adams (41)
Rhys Weston (61)
Leigh Griffiths (79)

Red Cards
Jonny Brown (83) None.

Match Officials

Craig Thomson (Referee)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Emotional day is step in the right direction
An emotional week ended with an emotional moment that was fitting for the day. Every member of the playing team alongside Barry Smith and his coaches made a point of heading towards the 1000 plus away support who stood to applaud their heroes who had gone through hell over the previous 24 hours as people who they had shared the dressing room with were victims of the club entering administration.

The support was incredible throughout, from the first rendition of “Please don't take my Dundee away” to that standing ovation they gave their all, something which did not go unnoticed by administrator Bryan Jackson who was in attendance.

As well as the support being on top form, this was matched by the players effort. Every one of them gave their all, very impressive after a week of little training and much indecision.

It was great to just get back to some football after weeks of off the field focus and placed in charge of the side was Barry Smith after Gordon Chisholm and Billy Dodds left the club yesterday. His first job was to send a side out to face Stirling this afternoon.

He lined up with Rab Douglas in goal, a defence of Matt Lockwood, Craig McKeown, Rhys Weston, Gary Irvine. In midfield, Nicky Riley and Gary Harkins started wide with Jamie Adams and Stephen O'Donnell in the middle. Leigh Griffiths and Sean Higgins started up front.

On paper, that team isn't a million miles away from our first choice line up this season so far but the struggle that Barry might be faced with after Friday's events was more clear when looking at the bench. With little now in reserve youngsters Leighton McIntosh and Ross Carnegie both were called onto the bench and although neither were involved today, it does look like with injury and suspensions they will get their chance to step up to the top team.

After a great gesture from Stirling of a donation to the club and a minutes applause for Dundee the players made their way onto the park. Dundee formed a huddle which showed the togetherness this side has and when the match started Dundee came out flying.

Riley won a free kick on the right and when O'Donnell put it into the box it fell to defender McKeown who drilled a volley at goal. Ex Dee Calum Reidford had to be alert to push away before Stirling cleared.

Dundee had all the pressure early but the first real chance of the half fell to Stirling. A ball forward fell to Gordon Smith in the Dundee box, unmarked he should have done better but Douglas was out like a shot to stop the striker before having some choice words with his defence who should never of let the striker get free.

The Dee though continued to push with Matt Lockwood curling a free kick just wide before Riley headed a Higgins cross over the top. Jamie Adams came closet though when he turned a corner over with a clever volley at the front post.

Dundee's best chance of the half fell to Riley though after good link up play ended with Higgins heading it into the path of the winger, he should of scored but Reidford pulled off a fine stop to deny him.

Before the half was out, Dundee could have fallen behind though. A corner was attacked by defender Ross Forsyth who got a really strong header on it which hit the underside of the bar before being booted clear. Stirling claimed for a goal but referee Craig Thomson waved play on.

After the break it wasn't anywhere near as one sided. Both sides traded chances after Griffiths had seen a goal chopped off for offside.

Aitken tested Douglas with a shot from a tight angle on the right which the keeper held with ease before Scott Robertson caught him off his line and fired a shot just wide. Soon after though Dundee did find the break through.

A ball in midfield dropped for Higgins who wasted no time knocking it over the top. Griffiths raced past his man and onto the ball, carrying it into the box before slotting it under Reidford and in off the post.

Dundee had chances to go two up almost right away. First Harkins strolled into the box and saw a shot saved by Reidford then Griffiths laid the ball to Irvine who blasted over from inside the area.

The pressure continued and Dundee won a string of corner. The result of one of those was Dundee coming so closed to doubling their lead. Higgins headed beyond Reidford but Heeking booted of the line. That was to be vital as soon after Stirling leveled.

From a corner of their own, Ross Forsyth again met with his head this time heading into the net.

With the wind in their sails Stirling almost to the lead. Sub Sylvano Comvalius got free and tried to lift it over Douglas. The keeper though stood strong and Dundee managed to clear.

Barry Smith sent on Craig Forsyth to replace Sean Higgins and Gary Harkins moved up front alongside Griffiths. His first touch could have put Dundee back in front. A free kick was helped on by Higgins and Forsyth headed against the post.

As the game came to an end and the legs began to tire Stirling won a corner. Douglas held it and quickly moved it to Griffiths on the left, he had two defenders infront of him but knocked the ball forward and went past the first of those Jonathan Brown. Brown lunged in and caught the striker though and Thomson had little choice but to produce a red card.

After that Dundee went in search of a winner but it didn't come. The final chance coming when a Griffiths shot was blocked before hitting Jamie Adams and rolling just wide.

It was a day when Dundee got back to playing football and the first step on moving on from the off the field problems which ended with administration. There is still along way to go but today showed lots of people care a great deal about this club.

Match report written by Tommy Young - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at October 16th, 2010)

2010-11 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)38 10 - 201 -
Craig McKeown25 13 - 46 -
Matt Lockwood33 8181
Rhys Weston29 8 - 8 -
Gary Irvine25 10 - 10 -
Jamie Adams23 10 - 10 -
Nicky Riley24 123123
Stephen O'Donnell27 121121
Gary Harkins25 1325820
Leigh Griffiths20 1365227
Sean Higgins25 121448
Craig Forsyth (sub)21 11 - 496

League Table (as at October 16th, 2010)

No league table has been added for this season.