Dundee 3
Montrose 0
League Cup (1st Round)

3 - 0

League Cup (1st Round)
Saturday, July 31st, 2010
Dens Park
Attendance: 2,111
3:00 PM Kick-off

Nicky Riley (33)
Leigh Griffiths (pen.) (70)
Nicky Riley (79)

Team Managers
Gordon Chisholm
Steven Tweed

Starting Eleven
1. Robert Douglas
2. Gary Irvine
3. Craig McKeown
4. Rhys Weston
5. Craig Forsyth
6. Nicky Riley
7. Jamie Adams
8. Gary Harkins
9. Stephen O'Donnell
10. Leigh Griffiths
11. Colin McMenamin
Sandy Wood .1
Stephen McNally .2
Alan Campbell .3
Sean Crighton .4
Steven Tweed .5
Terry Masson .6
Nicky Smith .7
Hugh Davidson .8
Paul Tosh .9
Daryl Nicol .10
Aaron Taylor-Sinclair .11

12. Scott Fox
14. Eric Paton
15. Paul McHale
16. Brian Kerr
17. Sean Higgins
Bennett .19
Fraser Milligan .12
Sean Fleming .16
Ross McCord .14
James Collier .15

Sean Higgins for Colin McMenamin (66)
Eric Paton for Stephen O'Donnell (72)
Paul McHale for Craig McKeown (75)
Fraser Milligan for Steven Tweed (21)
Ross McCord for Terry Masson (41)
Sean Fleming for Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (73)

Craig Forsyth (22)
Jamie Adams (52)
Leigh Griffiths (57)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Mat Northcroft (Referee)
Willie Conquer & Thomas Shaw (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee cruised through to the second round of the CIS Cup with a victory over Montrose that was comfortable and professional rather than flashily impressive.

Montrose had conceded five goals in each of their three previous competitive matches. They seldom posed any threat to Dundee today, but they never looked in danger of an embarrassing fourth thrashing on the trot. Their manager, ex-Dee Steven Tweed, will be able to take some encouragement from this performance, and he should pleased with his side’s effort and organisation.

Rhys Weston made his first competitive appearance after signing for Dundee this morning. Loan signing Jamie Adams also made his debut in midfield. In the absence of Mikael Antoine-Curier, Colin McMenamin came in to partner Leigh Griffiths up front.

Dundee quickly took charge of the game, but for long spells in the first half they kept possession with easy passes that didn’t hurt Montrose. More ambitious passes failed to come off and there was little penetration or urgency.

Dundee came close after 17 minutes when a poor goal kick was passed back to Montrose keeper, Sandy Wood, who battered the ball against Colin McMenamin. The ball rebounded high and looped just over the bar, sparing the goalie’s embarrassment.

Montrose were struggling to keep hold of the ball and offered little threat themselves. They might have done better with a half chance when Mason miscued a header to divert the ball to Sinclair who got the ball stuck between his feet and couldn’t get a shot in.

Unluckily for Montrose, Steven Tweed had to limp off with a hamstring injury after 20 minutes, but his side responded well to the challenge, and the re-organised defence kept their composure.

However, Dundee started to exert more effective pressure with some neat passing, usually involving Harkins, and took the lead just after the half hour.

Craig McKeown floated a long ball over the top of the Montrose defence. Nicky RILEY ran on and finished with a lovely first time chip over Wood from a tight angle, getting flattened by the keeper as the ball floated into the net.

Montrose responded well and Smith drove into the box and forced a good stop from Douglas, his first and last real save.

Montrose’s injury troubles continued, and Mason had to be replaced when he came off worse from a block tackle with Gary Harkins.

Dundee’s dominance continued into the second half, but they struggled to create more good chances. The best fell to Griffiths when Riley flashed a temping cut-back across the goalmouth, but Sparky couldn’t quite reach it.

Shortly afterwards he got into a tussle with Milligan that ended with the Montrose defender fouling Griffiths from behind. The youngster reacted angrily by pushing Milligan. Nicol jumped in and barged Griffiths, and just as it looked like we would have a real brawl on our hands the more sensible players on each side grabbed the miscreants and hauled them apart. Fortunately the referee, Mr Northcroft, took an indulgent view of the shenanigans, and satisfied himself with stern lectures for Griffiths and Nicol and a yellow card apiece.

A more officious referee could easily have sent both players off and felt justified in doing so. Sparky’s escape was bad news for Montrose because he came to life for the last half hour, and was a constant threat.

The long awaited second goal eventually arrived midway through the half. O’Donnell’s free kick deep to the far post wasn’t cleared. McKeown got his head to it but the ball was cleared off the line. Adams tried to challenge for the loose ball, but was flattened from behind. The Montrose defence had got away with a similarly unorthodox challenge on Adams a few minutes earlier, but this time the referee wasn’t going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

After Adams had been extracted from the turf and given treatment, GRIFFITHS slotted the penalty away comfortably.

Dundee were now in full control and chasing more goals. Gordon Chisholm took advantage of the Dee’s dominance to try some variations with his defence. McKeown and O’Donnell went off, to be replaced by Paton and McHale. Adams went to centre back, Paton to left back, and Craig Forsyth moved forward to the left side of midfield, where he looked more comfortable.

Paton’s willingness to move infield onto his right foot started the move that led to the last goal. Griffiths raced down the left onto Paton’s accurate pass, cut inside and floated a lovely hanging ball beyond the far post. RILEY timed his run perfectly and thrashed a great volley high into the net.

Dundee should have had more in the closing minutes. Higgins delayed his shot for long enough for the Montrose keeper to get his face in the way, and Griffiths shot carelessly wide from a Forsyth cross.

However, the Dundee management team will doubtless be happy with a professional win. The two new players had comfortable debuts, and both looked as if they will be good signings.

Nicky Riley was an easy choice for the sponsor’s man of the match. Apart from his two beautifully taken goals he showed enough enthusiasm and skill to suggest he will be a regular starter this season. His ability to get forward in support of the strikers will surely be a great asset and it would have been no surprise if he’d gone on to complete a hat-trick.

Next week Dundee kick off the league campaign at home to Queen of the South. The Doonhamers will be much tougher opposition than Montrose were, but Gordon Chisholm’s new look team are starting to look as if they will be ready for the start of the hard stuff to come.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at July 31st, 2010)

2010-11 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)38 1 - 192 -
Rhys Weston29 1 - 1 -
Gary Irvine25 2 - 2 -
Craig McKeown25 2 - 35 -
Jamie Adams22 1 - 1 -
Nicky Riley24 2222
Craig Forsyth21 2 - 406
Gary Harkins25 2 - 4718
Stephen O'Donnell27 2 - 2 -
Leigh Griffiths19 214122
Colin McMenamin29 218624
Eric Paton (sub)31 1 - 775
Paul McHale (sub)28 2 - 894
Sean Higgins (sub)25 21348

League Table (as at July 31st, 2010)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Today we would like to welcome Montrose FC manager Steven Tweed, his staff and players to Dens Park for this Co-operative Insurance Cup First Round match.

We want to continue from last week's cup success against Alloa and maintain the right attitude throughout the team to do this. It was good to see McMenamin and Higgins getting on the scoresheet after all the hard work in training.

The players are getting stronger by the day which I am sure some of you saw during the week when we were at Forfar for a pre season friendly. Robert Douglas played a full ninety minutes at Station Park which is a great boost to him and the team. With Craig, Leigh and Colin all scoring at Forfar we now have different areas where goals can come from giving us more opportunities on the park.

We hope to have a full squad for the start of the League Season on the 7th of August.

Thank you for your continued support.

Get behind the boys.