Dundee 2
Livingston 0
League (First Division)

2 - 0

League (First Division)
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008
Dens Park
Attendance: 3,715
7:45 PM Kick-off

Mickaël Antoine-Curier (48)
Mickaël Antoine-Curier (61)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Mark Proctor

Starting Eleven
1. Craig Samson
2. David Cowan
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Eddie Malone
5. Paul Dixon
6. Frédéric Daquin
7. Patrick Noubissie
8. Kevin McDonald
9. David O'Brien
10. Colin McMenamin
11. Mickaël Antoine-Curier
Colin Stewart .1
James McPake .2
Craig James .3
Dermot McCaffrey .4
Dave Mackay .5
Murray Davidson .6
Liam Fox .7
Allan Walker .8
Lee Makel .9
Robert Snodgrass .10
Leigh Griffiths .11

12. Ludovic Roy
14. Robert Davidson
15. David Worrell
16. Brian Clark
17. Jani Šturm
Cameron MacDonald .12
Mark Lunn .14
Keaghan Jacobs .15
Chris Malone .16
Mark Tinkler .17

Robert Davidson for Mickaël Antoine-Curier (72)
Jani Šturm for Colin McMenamin (79)
Brian Clark for David O'Brien (82)
Mark Tinkler for Allan Walker (82)

Mickaël Antoine-Curier (71)
Murray Davidson (15)
Murray Davidson (49)
Dave Mackay (60)
Dermot McCaffrey (83)

Red Cards
None. Murray Davidson (49)
Match Officials

Scott MacDonald (Referee)
Bobby Madden & John McCrossan (Assistants)

Match Report

Mickael Antoine-Curier continued his sensational start to his Dens Park stay with a brace of goals to see off Livingston at Dens, and edge Dundee within three points of Hamilton ahead of Saturday's top of the table clash. Those goals took Antoine-Curier's tally in Dark Blue to eight goals in five matches.

Mike fired his first in 48 minutes running onto a Colin McMenamin through ball and lashing an eighteen yard rising shot home, visiting keeper Colin Stewart got a full hand to the ball but the power beat him.

Antoine-Curier's second came twelve minutes later, by which time Livingston had been reduced to ten men, debut boy Murray Davidson being dismissed after a second bookable offence on 50 minutes. Mike's goal came from a free kick just outside the box, awarded after David O'Brien had been brought down, Antoine-Curier placing his shot into the bottom corner via the inside of the post.

Dundee bounced back from their Scottish Cup defeat to QOS with a convincing 2-0 win over 10-man Livingston. Two goals from Antoine-Curier secured the vital three points with a mouth-watering clash against Hamilton at New Douglas Park looming

The Frenchman struck again to keep his devastating run going scoring eight goals in five starts and close the gap on Hamilton to three points with the sides meeting in four days time. Alex Rae brought in O'Brien who made his first start in six games in place of the injured Gavin Swankie while in Eddie Malone moved into the defence to partner captain Gary Mackenzie at the back.

Both sides struggled to adapt to the wet surface in the early stages of the match with seven minutes gone before the first chance presented itself. David O'Brien picked up the ball on the left and skipped past the visitor's defence with his shot from 18 yards taking a touch off Des McCaffrey for an early corner.

With just fifteen minutes gone Murray Davidson received the first caution of the game and one that was to prove vital as the game progressed.

Antoine-Curier looked dangerous when on the ball and only the offside flag prevented him from opening the scoring as the first half reached the half-way mark. Noubissie's inch perfect cross floated onto the head of the Frenchman who was unlucky not to have stayed on-side.

Lee Makel mustered one of only two Livi attacks before the interval as he turned Dixon and Malone before unleashing his low shot into the side netting while Robert Snodgrass saw his free kick whistle past Craig Samson's right post. The uneventful first half petered out with the wind and rain battering down around Dens Park.

Alex Rae's half-time team talk worked as his side took the lead three minutes into the second half. Livi keeper Colin Stewart was forced into the first save of the game in the 46th minute when Daquin's cross was met by McMenamin who forced Stewart to palm the ball out for a corner to give the home support something to cheer about. Craig Samson's long clearance was then met by McMenamin who sent the ball through to Curier with the deftest of touches. The on-loan Hibs star let fly with a beautifully placed shot into the top left corner from eighteen yards to give Dundee a deserved lead.

Just a minute after seeing his side go a goal down Livi manager Mark Proctor found himself sent to the stand along with midfielder Murray Davidson who picked up his second caution of the game in the 50th minute when referee Scott MacDonald brandished the card for what he deemed as simulation.

Colin McMenamin could have added to his tally in the 54th minute but as he raced through the Livi protests for offside were heard by the linesman who halted the forward's run. Although a man down Livi were not to be outdone and Makel was unlucky not to see his curling shot from James' corner hit the back of the net.

With an hour of the match played David O'Brien won a free kick after being fouled on the edge of the area. Malone, Dixon and Curier surrounded the ball but it was the latter who unleashed the low shot which snuck in low at the bottom corner to give the home side a more comfortable lead and the delight showed on the free-scoring Frenchman's face.

Freddie Daquin's runs down the wing were endless and his cross into the box was cleared by the visitor's defence ahead of McMenamin. From the resultant corner Gary Mackenzie was left cursing his luck as first his bullet header was cleared of the line with his follow-up shot crashing back off the bottom of the upright.

In the 73rd minute Mikael Antoine-Curier received a rapturous applause as he left the field to be replaced by Bob Davidson. McMenamin could have added to the lead when he broke down the right but his shot curled wide.

David O'Brien was also left to rue his luck when he made room for himself in the box and although his shot beat keeper Stewart, Dave Mackay tracked back to block his shot for a corner, before the winger kept Stewart on his toes as he tipped over his cross come shot.

As the game drew to a close Livi looked to pull a goal back with Snodgrass, Craig James and sub Mark Tinkler all coming close. The former's shot was parried by Samson with Mackenzie latching onto the clearance before the striker could follow up his initial effort. Eddie Malone then gave away a free kick on the edge of the area and from there James saw his set-piece crash back off the upright, down onto the line and away before Tinkler somehow missed with a low shot from six yards leaving Mark Proctor's men wondering how they failed to score.

In addition to the sending off of Murray Davidson, Antoine-Curier for the home side and Craig James and Des McCaffrey for the visitors were also booked.

Match report written by Joanna Topping - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at March 11th, 2008)

2007-08 All Time
Craig Samson (GK)23 29 - 29 -
David Cowan26 7 - 7 -
Paul Dixon21 30 - 1062
Gary Mackenzie22 29 - 53 -
Eddie Malone22 201201
Kevin McDonald19 31109815
Patrick Noubissie24 2 - 2 -
David O'Brien24 161161
Mickaël Antoine-Curier25 5858
Frédéric Daquin29 302302
Colin McMenamin27 6565
Brian Clark (sub)20 3 - 91
Robert Davidson (sub)21 2984411
Jani Šturm (sub)25 252252

League Table (as at March 11th, 2008)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Obviously, everyone at the club and, I am sure, all of our fans are disappointed that our interest in the Scottish Cup is over.

The 2-0 scoreline possibly flattered Queen of the South, but over the piece, they definitely deserved to win.

We huffed and puffed but they probably battered us in most departments.

The first goal was the turning point of the game, the ball's travelled about 60 yards in the air and big Dobbie's the only one who's timed it properly, it was poor defending to say the least.

Just before they scored, I thought we'd made a gilt edged chance, I don't know how we didn't score from it. The second goal was immaterial, though Eddie Malone was probably fouled but the referee probably didn't see it.

It's disappointing because it was a good chance to progress, but with so many key players missing, it was always going to be difficult and in the end, we just weren't up to the task.

No matter how disappointing it was not to reach the semi-finals, there is still an awful lot to play for this season.

Ever since I arrived at the Club some eighteen months ago, sole priority has been to get the team back to the Premier League.

In our last league outing, Colin McMenamin's last minute goal gave us a vital victory over St Johnstone.

But that typified the players' commitment this season.

They just don't know when they are beaten and, in terms of attitude, I cannot ask for any more from them than they have been giving me.

And that has been the case week in and week out.

The good thing as we take on Livingston tonight is that we have some key players back. Mickael Antoine-Curier and Colin McMenamin, both of whom were cup-tied for the game at Dumfries, return.

So too will Kevin McDonald and Gary Mackenzie after their cup bans.

Unfortunately, Gavin Swankie will again miss out because of a calf problem, as does long-term injury victim Scott Robertson.

The only other absentee this evening is Paul McHale as he completes his league ban.

In addition, Patrick Noubissie whom we signed from Hibernian on an emergency loan is available, so we are in much better shape ahead of this vital match.

Right from the final whistle at Dumfries, all our concentration has been on this game, because it is every bit as important as last Saturday's cup-tie.