Motherwell 1
Dundee 2
Scottish Cup (5th Round)


1 - 2


Scottish Cup (5th Round)
Monday, February 11th, 2008
Fir Park
Attendance: 5,733
3:00 PM Kick-off

Darren Lee Smith (61) Paul McHale (49)
Scott Robertson (55)

Team Managers
Mark McGhee Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Graeme Smith
6. Brian McLean
5. Stephen Craigan
4. Mark Reynolds
3. Steven Hammell
14. Keith Lasley
7. Stephen Hughes
16. Marc Fitzpatrick
18. Steve McGarry
11. Ross McCormack
12. David Clarkson
Ludovic Roy .1
David Cowan .2
Eddie Malone .3
Kevin McDonald .4
Milan Palenik .5
Gary Mackenzie .6
Scott Robertson .7
Paul McHale .8
Robert Davidson .9
Derek Lyle .10
Gavin Swankie .11

15. Luke Daniels
21. Danny Murphy
32. Jamie Murphy
23. Darren Smith
8. Simon Lappin
Craig Samson .12
Paul Dixon .14
Frédéric Daquin .15
Jani Šturm .16
Jan Zemlik .17

Darren Smith for Keith Lasley (57)
Simon Lappin for Steve McGarry (57)
Jamie Murphy for Steven Hammell (88)
Paul Dixon for Gavin Swankie (80)
Jani Šturm for Robert Davidson (83)
Frédéric Daquin for Derek Lyle (84)

Brian McLean (63)
Graeme Smith (65)
Milan Palenik (15)
Gary Mackenzie (65)
Eddie Malone (69)
Kevin McDonald (76)
Kevin McDonald (83)
Gary Mackenzie (88)

Red Cards
None. Kevin McDonald (83)
Gary Mackenzie (88)

Match Officials

Eddie Smith (Referee)

Match Report

Goals from Paul McHale and Scott Robertson put Dundee through to the quarter final of the Scottish Cup on a dramatic night at Fir Park which saw Dundee reduced to nine men by the start of the five minutes added time, Kevin McDonald having been sent off for a second bookable offence in the 82nd minute and he was followed down the tunnel by Gary Mackenzie in the 87th minute. The Dee backed by a wonderful vocal support held on for a 2-1 win despite intense pressure in the closing stages.

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee sportingly admitted that his side had been "well beaten" on an evening where the Dark Blues turned in their best performance of the season. Alex Rae summed it up perfectly with one word "Awesome."

Three changes were made for the trip with Derek Lyle, Gavin Swankie and Bob Davidson returned to the starting line up with David O'Brien dropping out of the squad and cup tied Colin McMenamin and Mickeal Antoine-Curier also missing out.

Dundee started the better of the two sides and the first chance fell to Derek Lyle after only three minutes. Bob Davidson's clever ball over the defence found Lyle and his turn and shot flashed over the bar.

There was little between the sides for the rest of the half. Motherwell had a great chance when the ball found it's way to Marc Fitpatrick in the Dundee box and when he looked likely to score a fresh air shot form the 'Well midfielder allowed Gary Mackenzie the chance to clear.

Milan Palenik was booked soon after when he fouled David Clarkson off the ball as Motherwell tried to hit Dundee on the counter attack.

The only other chance of the half came for Dundee when the home side failed to clear and the impressive Scott Robertson chested down before firing a shot just wide of the keepers right hand post.

Dundee came storming out in the second half and took the lead only three minutes after the break. Gavin Swankie hit the bye line and after pressure from Scott Robertson Motherwell keeper Graeme Smith could only flap the ball down to Paul McHale who's first touch evaded a challenge and with his second fired a shot home off the bar.

Scott Robertson then flicked a ball out of midfield into the path of Bob Davidson who beat out coming Smith to the ball but the keeper blocked with his chest as the Dundee man tried to lift the ball over him.

Robertson doubled Dundee's lead in the 55th minute. The goal came from the left hand side again this time it was Kevin McDonald's low cross that was dummied at the front post by Derek Lyle and straight into the path of Scott Robertson. All Robertson had to do was slot the ball into the empty net and The Dees were two up.

Motherwell didn't take long to respond with a chance. After Stephen Hughes' cross was flashed on by David Clarkson substitute Simon Lappin came agonisingly close to getting the touch required to knock the ball home.

It was another substitute that brought the home side back into the match just after the hour. A corner from Brian McLean was met by a powerful header from Darren Smith which left Ludo Roy with no chance.

Gary Mackenzie picked up a booking for challenging keeper Smith after a free kick. Smith was involved again in the 65th minute when he made a mess of a clearance and knocked the ball straight to striker Davidson but his flash shot was well over.

Dundee might have had a penalty when McHale's low cross was hammered at goal from Swankie and against the arm of a Motherwell defender but referee Eddie Smith wasn't interested. Derek Lyle then had a chance to regain the two goal gap. He ran onto Swankie's ball over the top but both 'Well central defenders got there to block Lyle before he got a proper shot away.


Kevin McDonald was booked for a foul in the 74th minute and eight minutes later he was given his marching orders when a late challenge on Stephen Hughes earned him a second booking and a red.

Paul Dixon replaced Swankie in between McDonald's bookings and Dundee made another two substitutes soon after the ordering off. Strikers Davidson and Lyle were replaced by Jani Sturm and Freddy Daquin.

It was backs to the wall for most of the time after McDonald's sending off and a rare break away in this period saw Dundee almost scored. Stephen Craigan under pressure from Jani Sturm almost chipped into his own net when trying to intercept a Paul Dixon through ball.

Dundees task wasn't made any easier when Gary Mackenzie tried to buy the defence some time by dribbling away from the defence only to lose the ball on the half way line and commit a clumsy challenge which saw him get a second yellow card and join McDonald for an early bath.

5 minutes injury time gave Motherwell enough time for two more chances. The first brought a fine save from Ludo Roy, a Simon Lappin cross was headed towards his own goal by Paul Dixon but the Frenchman did fantastically well to tip over the bar. Motherwell's last chance fell to defender Mark Reynolds who shot whistled just past the post.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at February 11th, 2008)

2007-08 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)30 6 - 39 -
Milan Palenik - 264264
Eddie Malone22 151151
Gary Mackenzie22 25 - 49 -
David Cowan25 2 - 2 -
Scott Robertson22 29611510
Paul McHale26 262383
Kevin McDonald19 27109415
Gavin Swankie24 2626611
Derek Lyle26 2155120
Robert Davidson21 2674110
Paul Dixon (sub)21 25 - 1012
Frédéric Daquin (sub)29 252252
Jani Šturm (sub)25 232232

League Table (as at February 11th, 2008)

No league table has been added for this season.