Dundee 1
Hamilton Academical 0
League (First Division)

1 - 0

League (First Division)
Saturday, November 24th, 2007
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,375
3:00 PM Kick-off

Scott Robertson (12)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Billy Reid

Starting Eleven
1. Craig Samson
2. David Worrell
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Milan Palenik
5. Eddie Malone
6. Paul McHale
7. Scott Robertson
8. Kevin McDonald
9. Gavin Swankie
10. Derek Lyle
11. Robert Davidson
Bryn Halliwell .1
David Elebert .2
Chris Swailes .3
Mark McLaughlin .4
Brian Easton .5
Alex Neil .6
James McArthur .7
James McCarthy .8
Mark Gilhaney .9
Richard Offiong .10
Roman Wallner .11

12. Ludovic Roy
14. Frédéric Daquin
15. Paul Dixon
16. Jani Šturm
17. Jan Zemlik
Tomas Cerny .12
James Gibson .14
David Winters .15
Brian Wake .16
Stuart Taylor .17

Jan Zemlik for Robert Davidson (70)
Frédéric Daquin for Kevin McDonald (80)
Paul Dixon for Gavin Swankie (86)
David Winters for Mark Gilhaney (74)
Brian Wake for Richard Offiong (74)
Stuart Taylor for David Elebert (81)

None. David Elebert (33)
Tomas Cerny (53)
Alex Neil (56)
Roman Wallner (69)
Mark McLaughlin (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Brian Winter (Referee)
Alastair Mather & Raymond Whyte (Assistants)

Match Report

Scott Robertson's third strike of the season closed the gap on opponents Hamilton to three points after a hard-fought encounter at Dens Park. It was a scrappy ninety minutes in which the referee didn't let the game flow, and manager Alex Rae finding himself on the wrong side of the whistler, forcing him to watch the second half of his side's victory from the stand. Billy Reid's men created the first of the chances with Roman Wallner sending a free kick wide before Chris Swailes scuffed shot was easily held by Craig Samson.

Dundee's first chance came in the 8th minute courtesy of a Paul McHale free kick. Milan Palenik's header down towards goal from the set-piece was dropped by keeper Bryn Halliwell, but his defence was on hand to spare his blushes with a goal-line clearance with Derek Lyle firing over after making room for himself.

The opening goal and the strike that was to prove the winner came courtesy of Robertson in the 12th minute after Milan Palenik was able to hold up play in the box. Eddie Malone's free kick was headed goalwards by Derek Lyle. Palenik brought down Lyle's header in the box before shrugging of his marker and sending through an inch perfect ball for Scott Robertson to stab the ball past Halliwell for a deserved lead.

Dundee however didn't have things all their own way as Wallner's corner created problems as the defence failed to clear their lines allowing Mark McLaughlin to get his shot in while top goal-scorer Richard Offiong headed wide from Gilhaney's cross.

Both teams came out for the second half with the confidence that the eleven which started the game could do enough for the win. It took less than five minutes for Hamilton to make their mark as Elebert shot wide after Craig Samson could only parry Wallner's corner.

Gary Mackenzie then gifted the visitors the perfect opportunity to take the lead as he allowed the ball to deliberately cannon off his hand as he elevated himself to header the ball clear leaving referee Brian Winter no choice but to point to the spot. Leading first division goalscorer Offiong stepped up but the pressure showed as he blasted his set-piece over from 12 yards leaving Gary Mackenzie feeling a lucky man.

There were few clear cut chances as both Dundee looked for the goal which would see them in a more comfortable position, while Hamilton searched for the chance to keep the gap between the teams at six points.

Offiong almost made up for his penalty miss with a header which was held by Samson, before Palenik's shot was cleared wide for a corner. Gavin Swankie and the departing Eddie Malone also had free kicks rebound back off the wall. Both teams then wrung the chances with Bob Davidson and Kevin McDonald being replaced by Jan Zemlik and Freddie Daquin respectively while Mark Gilhaney David Elebert and Richard Offiong made way for Brian Wake, David Winters and Stuart Taylor.

As the game entered the final stages Hamilton threw bodies forward, although Gavin Swankie and Derek Lyle both turned provider as they set up each other with their efforts held by Halliwell.

There were five bookings in the game, all for the away side: David Elebert, Roman Wallner, Mark Gilhaney and Alexander Neil all finding themselves cautioned.

Match report written by Joanna Topping - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at November 24th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
Craig Samson (GK)23 14 - 14 -
Gary Mackenzie22 15 - 39 -
Eddie Malone22 3 - 3 -
Milan Palenik - 142142
David Worrell29 15 - 15 -
Paul McHale26 151272
Scott Robertson22 1741038
Kevin McDonald19 164839
Robert Davidson21 1573010
Derek Lyle26 1334318
Gavin Swankie24 1625611
Paul Dixon (sub)21 17 - 932
Jan Zemlik (sub)30 132132
Frédéric Daquin (sub)29 171171

League Table (as at November 24th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

After the disappointing defeat by Clyde in our last outing, I am pleased that this afternoon's game is against the leaders Hamilton.

We have not done too badly against the big teams in the division - it's been against the wee teams we've had the bad habit of dropping points.

That's Stirling, Partick and now Clyde who we've had problems with and it is very frustrating. These are teams we should be beating and the fact we haven't is why we are not right up alongside Hamilton.

Looking back on the Clyde match, we were the victims of a smash and grab. We were on the front foot for the whole game then we were hit by Paul Dixon's own goal at which our defending was of the schoolboy variety.

But the bottom line is that we should have done more with the possession we had.

Our problem is that we struggle once we have a couple of bodies out-that kills us.

Prior to the Clyde game, we were hit by a double call off when midfielder Kevin McDonald went down with mumps and top scorer Bob Davidson fell foul of a sickness bug.

Fortunately, I do have players right now who have more to give and, with almost everyone back from injury and illness, I again have the option of making changes.

Indeed, there have been so many bodies at training this week that I've even struggled to get a game! Earlier this week, Davie Farrell and myself signed a new one-year rolling contract and we were both delighted to do so.

Once the board had opened talks with us, it did not take us long to make up our minds. I believe we have made good progress since we came here. When Davie and I arrived the team had just finished seventh and, last year, we moved up to third in the table.

Right now, we are sitting second and I believe that we have the strength to mount a good challenge to be at the top for the rest of the season.

A lot of credit for that has to go to Bob Brannan, Dave Mackinnon and the other directors, and what people have to remember is that, in the last year or two, this club has had to undergo a complete financial restructuring.

That's not been easy and it's taken a lot of hard work by some good people whose hearts are in the right place. No one can guarantee success, but, if you are working with people like there are here right now, it has to improve your chances.

And, of course that brings us to this afternoon's game against the First Division pacesetters.

Billy Reid's side have proved that they top the table on merit, but in our first meeting with them at New Douglas Park, switching off in the last eight minutes saw us slip to a 2-0 defeat.

Then we conceded a sloppy goal and their second only came about because we were chasing the game. Prior to that we more than matched them and if we can do that for ninety minutes this afternoon, then I see no reason why we can't get the win that would put us right on their shirt tails.