Dundee 1
Celtic 2
League Cup (3rd Round)

1 - 2

League Cup (3rd Round)
Wednesday, September 26th, 2007
Dens Park
Attendance: 8,203
7:45 PM Kick-off

Kevin McDonald (71)
Scott McDonald (27)
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (60)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Gordon Strachan

Starting Eleven
1. Craig Samson
2. David Worrell
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Milan Palenik
5. Paul Dixon
6. Frédéric Daquin
7. Scott Robertson
8. Kevin McDonald
9. Paul McHale
10. Gavin Swankie
11. Jan Zemlik
Artur Boruc .1
Gary Caldwell .5
Lee Naylor .3
John Kennedy .41
Stephen McManus .44
Scott Brown .8
Evander Sno .15
Massimo Donati .18
Derek Riordan .14
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink .10
Scott McDonald .27

12. Jani Šturm
14. Derek Lyle
15. Robert Davidson
16. Alex Rae
17. Danny Griffin
Mark Brown .21
Darren O'Dea .48
Christopher Killen .33
Maciej Zurawski .7
James O'Brien .45

Danny Griffin for David Worrell (23)
Robert Davidson for Paul McHale (82)

Jan Zemlik (29)
Gary Mackenzie (52)
Jan Zemlik (93)
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (36)
Gary Caldwell (45)

Red Cards
Jan Zemlik (93)
Match Officials

Iain Brines (Referee)
Stuart Macaulay & Willie Conquer (Assistants)
John Underhill (Fourth Official)

Match Report

A thrilling CIS Cup third round match between Dundee and Celtic ended in a 2-1 win for the team from Glasgow as Dundee's young stars pushed the SPL champions all the way.

A place in the fourth round of the cup was the prize at stake, with a goal from Celtic target Kevin McDonald not enough as goals from Scott McDonald and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink sealed the win.

Dundee were forced to defend from the off as Scott McDonald and Derek Riordan looked lively. Craig Samson was called into action in the seventh minute. Scott Brown's pass along the right flank found Caldwell who whipped the ball into the box first time. Riordan connected with the ball with Samson tipping away the shot before collecting Vennegoor of Hesselink's weak rebound effort.

It was the twentieth minute before Dundee created their first goal-scoring opportunity. Lone striker Jan Zemlik was fouled just outside the area by John Kennedy. Gavin Swankie placed the ball and struck a sweet shot goalwards, but having beaten keeper Boruc, the shot failed to beat the post as the ball cannoned back off the upright with the ball going out for a corner. Daquin's corner was then headed goalwards by Zemlik, crashing back off the post.

This brought the home fans alive and four minutes later Swankie and Zemlik almost struck again. His free kick into the area found a melee of green, white and dark blue, with Jan Zemlik rising above everyone else to connect with the ball but his header flew over, failing to test Boruc.

Danny Griffin then replaced right-back David Worrell who looked to be carrying an injury.

Freddie Daquin had the beating of Lee Naylor after collecting the ball from Jan Zemlik, but his cross come shot from the right wing had too much power behind it, carrying it out and over the crossbar.

The home side were left to rue their missed chances in the twenty-seventh minute as Scott McDonald rose above the defence to take the lead.. Derek Riordan's free kick into the box, after a Paul Dixon foul, found the head of McDonald, with the smallest man on the park rising above Danny Griffin to put the ball past Samson.

Jan Zemlik was booked in the 29th minute for dangerous play - going in for a challenge leading with his elbow.

A minute later Dundee almost leveled things but found Boruc in form as he looked to make up for his costly errors against Hibernian. Kevin McDonald's cross into the box found Mackenzie who rose above John Kennedy from six yards to head the ball goalwards with Boruc tipping the ball away to keep Celtic's 1-0 scoreline intact. Dundee continued to press for the goal that would haul them back into the game. Scott Robertson was fouled Vennegoor of Hesselink as he surged forward, with the Celtic man receiving a yellow card for his efforts. Gavin Swankie again stepped up to take the free kick. From twenty-five yards the ex- Arbroath forward unleashed a shot which looked to be heading all the way to the top corner and the back of the net, but Boric again thwarted Swankie as he got a strong hand to the ball.

Scott Brown then had a chance just before half time. after Gary Mackenzie had headed the ball into his path, but his shot was weak and easily fell into the waiting arms of Samson.

Gary Caldwell was booked in the 45th minute for persistent fouling.

The second half started as the first had ended, with Dundee trying to make the most of their possession while keeping any Celtic attack at bay. The game however looked as if it could be over for Dundee in the 52nd minute as Danny Griffin brought Derek Riordan down in the box with the referee pointing to the spot. Griffin received a caution from referee lain Brines for bring Riordan down. Gary Mackenzie was also booked for protesting about the penalty award. Riordan picked himself and dusted himself down ready to face Craig Samson in goal. Samson proved Dundee hero once again: having sent Dundee through to face Celtic after saving two penalties in a penalty shoot-out Livingston in the previous round, he saved Riordan's penalty low at his left post.

Gavin Swankie must have thought it was third time lucky when Zemlik was fouled on the edge of the box by Kennedy. Swankie's rocket free kick looked to have the beating of Boruc for the first time but the Polish keeper somehow saved the shot as it sneaked through the smallest of gaps in the Celtic wall. Gavin Swankie's corner was cleared for another with Daquin's corner causing all sorts of problems with Caldwell clearing Mackenzie's headed flick-on off the line.

Celtic dealt the killer blow in the 60th minute as Vennegoor of Hesselink scored his first and Celtic's second in what was to prove the winning goal. Gary Caldwell slipped the ball through to Scott McDonald who the Dundee support protested was in an offside position. He squared the ball across the box to Hesselink who was lift with a simple shot from twelve yards.

In the 71st minute Dundee got the goal their efforts had merited. A customary long thrown-in by Paul Dixon caused all sorts of problems for the away defence as they failed to clear their lines, Boruc came for the ball but failed to connect fully with a punch and only succeeded in rebounding the ball against Mackenzie. The ball bobbled about before landing at the feet of man of the match Kevin McDonald who calmly slotted the ball home to give Dundee the slightest chance of pulling themselves back into the game.

Bob Davidson replaced Paul McHale in the 82nd minute with the twenty-year old not given enough time to really change the game.

Celtic had one last chance to score in the 89th minute as Samson thwarted Evander Sno with a save with his legs after Gordon Strachan's men had broken free with the ball after a Dundee claim for a hand-ball in Celtic's penalty area, with referee Brines having none of it.

Frustration showed in the end as Jan Zemlik was shown red in injury time as Dundee came up against a Celtic team unwilling to concede the equaliser.

Match report written by Joanna Topping - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at September 26th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
Craig Samson (GK)23 7 - 7 -
Paul Dixon20 10 - 862
Gary Mackenzie21 9 - 33 -
Milan Palenik - 9191
David Worrell29 11 - 11 -
Kevin McDonald18 103778
Paul McHale25 81202
Scott Robertson22 103967
Frédéric Daquin29 101101
Gavin Swankie23 924911
Jan Zemlik29 9191
Danny Griffin (sub)30 7 - 35 -
Robert Davidson (sub)21 94247

League Table (as at September 26th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Tonight's visit by Celtic in the CIS Cup is one that everyone connected with the club has been looking forward to.

I saw Hibs beat Celtic on Sunday and although it may have been courtesy of two mistakes by Arthur Boruc, he is still, in my opinion, the most consistent goalkeeper in our leagues.

I did not expect to see him do what he did at Easter Road, but all you can say about it is that it won't happen again for a long time and he's going to be tough for us to beat this evening.

Celtic do not often lose back-to-back games and now that they have, they'll be desperate to come here and win.

Some people are saying that because of those defeats they will be fielding their strongest team, but irrespective of any changes, the one thing we know is that they will still have quality on the park.

But if we concentrate and work hard we can go out and give a good account of ourselves.

And we'll certainly try to take the game to them.

It's been a while since one of the big two came to our patch and this game will show our younger players what it's like at the level they aspire to.

And hopefully they'll rise to the challenge.

Unfortunately, this game comes too soon for Ludovic Roy, but he isn't far away from returning, but the good news is that everyone came through last Saturday's 2- 2 draw at Stirling injury-free, which gives me plenty of options ahead of tonight's big tie.