Dundee 3
Partick Thistle 0
League (First Division)

3 - 0

League (First Division)
Saturday, August 25th, 2007
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,354
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gavin Swankie (8)
Robert Davidson (16)
Kevin McDonald (56)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Ian McCall

Starting Eleven
1. Craig Samson
2. David Worrell
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Milan Palenik
5. Paul Dixon
6. Frédéric Daquin
7. Scott Robertson
8. Kevin McDonald
9. Gavin Swankie
10. Jani Šturm
11. Robert Davidson
Jonathan Tuffey .1
Alan Archibald .2
Marc Twaddle .3
Simon Storey .4
Ryan McStay .5
David Rowson .6
Scott Chaplain .7
Gary Harkins .8
Stevie Murray .9
Paul di Giacamo .10
Liam Buchanan .11

12. Michael White
14. Danny Griffin
15. David O'Brien
16. Paul McHale
17. Brian Clark
Craig Hinchcliffe .12
Kevin McKinlay .14
Jimmy Gibson .15
Adam Strachan. 16
Paul Keegan .17

Danny Griffin for Paul Dixon (31)
David O'Brien for Jani Šturm (68)
Paul McHale for Milan Palenik (76)
Jimmy Gibson for Ryan McStay (30)
Adam Strachan for Scott Chaplain (46)
Paul Keegan for Paul di Giacomo (68)

None. Alan Archibald (62)
Marc Twaddle (70)
Alan Archibald (77)

Red Cards
None. Alan Archibald (77)
Match Officials

Alan Boyd (Referee)
Steven George & Kevin J. Graham (Assistants)

Match Report

Ian McCall endured a torrid time as he returned to Dens Park for the first time as manager of Partick Thistle. Having beaten Clyde 4-0 the week previous, his men came to Tayside looking to keep up with Hamilton in their bid to keep their unbeaten run going.

Three top-class goals gave Dundee all three points to take them into second place as they rampaged past a lacklustre Partick Thistle side. Two first half goals from Gavin Swankie and Bob Davidson being followed by a Kevin McDonald effort just after half time to secure the points in a game in which the home team shone in all departments.

Dundee seemed determined from the off and set the tone of the game, with last week's goal scorer Freddie Daquin almost adding to his tally with a header which fell just past the upright with only two minutes on the clock.

It took Dundee, and Gavin Swankie in particular just eight minutes to break the deadlock. Having being fouled just outside the area, the former Arbroath forward picked himself up to hit a spectacular free kick into the top left corner past a helpless Jon Tuffey.

Partick replied immediately with their own spectacular effort. Ryan McStay fed the ball to Gary Harkins' deflected shot from twenty-five yards found Craig Samson equal to the effort as he tipped the all clear for a corner. Samson made his league debut for the injured Ludovic Roy who has strained a calf muscle, which will keep him out for up to a month.

Mark Twaddle's throw-in caused a moment of concern in the 14th minute as the defence was slow to react to his ball across the six yard box but Samson was alert to pluck the ball from the air with Stevie Murray looking to latch onto any opening.

Just a minute later Dundee doubled their advantage as Bob Davidson nodded in from six yards. Paul Dixon sent out a clever ball to Swankie on the left touchline. He cut the ball back to Dixon who sent in a first time ball into the area. Bob Davidson was left with the task of sending the ball past keeper Tuffey to extend the lead with only sixteen minutes gone.

Milan Palenik came close to scoring his first goal for the club but his header from Freddie Daquin's corner skimmed past the post. Having been subject to criticism from a selection of the home support after the opening home fixture against Queen of the South, Daquin showed his worth to the club today as his constant running and ball winning ability shone through. Daquin skipped past two defenders before chipping a sweet ball into Jani Sturm whose shot was saved by keeper Tuffey for a corner.

Daquin's corner was headed on by Paul Dixon but the attack failed to mount any pressure.

In the twenty-fifth minute Partick almost clawed themselves back into it after Stevie Murray's corner was flicked towards goal after a Paul Dixon challenge. Liam Buchanan waited at the left post to head in to cut the deficit but last ditch defending saw the opportunity pass as quickly as it was created.

Ian McCall showed his intentions to leave Dens with something for their efforts as he made his first substitute on the half hour mark, with Ryan McStay making way for Jimmy Gibson. Paul Dixon also make way for Danny Griffin in the second half with what appeared to be a knock.

As half time approached, Paul di Giacamo's low ball into the box looked to be an easy clearance for Gary Mackenzie but he scuffed at the shot on the six yard line. He recovered well though and, with Stevie Murray following up the clearance, flicked the ball clear of the area. McKenzie had the chance to redeem himself on the stroke of half time as Gavin Swankie's corner fell to the central defender, but his free header was nodded wide.

Ian McCall again changed things at the break as Scott Chaplain was replaced by Adam Strachan. The Partick players looked as though they had taken heed of Dundee fan's favourite McCall's half time team talk as they started the second half better than they had ended the first. Stevie Murray skipped past David Worrell with ease before sending a cross into the box. Craig Samson was forced into action as Liam

Buchanan looked to edge his shot past Palenik with the former united keeper keeping the score in favour of the Dark Blues.

Ten minutes into the second half however and it was all over for the men from Glasgow as the impressive Kevin McDonald netted the goal his play deserved.

David Worrell's free kick to Scott Robertson was then sent through the defence to McDonald whose first touch sent him goal bound. The eighteen year old skipped past Simon Storey before sending the ball past an advancing Jon Tuffey to give the team a three goal advantage.

Alan Archibald was booked in the 62nd minute for dissent.

Referee Alan Boyd turned down shouts for a penalty in the 63rd minute as Paul di Giacamo fell inside the area, and while the away support seemed convinced the Killie man had been fouled, Boyd was convinced otherwise.

Jani Sturm stepped into the gap left by suspended Jan Zemlik, with his aerial presence causing all sorts of problems for the Jags. The ever impressive Scott Robertson won the ball in the middle of the park allowing him to send Daquin travelling down the right wing. The Frenchman's cross looked to be heading straight to Sturm but for the intervention of Simon Storey who cleared the ball at the back post.

This was to be the last of the day's action for Sturm as he was replaced by David O'Brien, while Paul Keegan replaced Paul DiGiacamo.

The referee further incensed the travelling support and boss lan McCall the in the 77th minute. Paul Keegan appeared to be fouled at the edge of the Dundee box but play switched to the other end where Alan Archibald was to receive a second yellow card for obstructing a Dundee free kick forcing the visitors to complete the last fifteen minutes with ten men.

The last ten minutes consisted of Dundee attacking on the break as Partick tried to claw back a goal, but the makeshift defence of Worrell, MacKenzie, Griffin and O'Brien after the changes of Dixon (off for Griffin) and Palenik (off for McHale) stood firm. Daquin spurned a chance as his attempted chip over the advancing Tuffey was pushing the boundaries, before the Jags last chance of the day fell to Stevie Murray whose tireless running deserved more than a corner after his clever play set him up inside the area.

Including Alan Archibald's two yellow cards, Mark Twaddle was also booked mid-way through the second half for dissent.

Match report written by Joanna Topping - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at August 25th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
Craig Samson (GK)23 2 - 2 -
Paul Dixon20 5 - 812
Gary Mackenzie21 4 - 28 -
Milan Palenik - 4 - 4 -
David Worrell29 6 - 6 -
Kevin McDonald18 51726
Scott Robertson22 52916
Frédéric Daquin28 5151
Robert Davidson21 43196
Jani Šturm25 5151
Gavin Swankie23 524511
David O'Brien (sub)23 6 - 6 -
Paul McHale (sub)25 4 - 161
Danny Griffin (sub)30 5 - 33 -

League Table (as at August 25th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

So far so good sums up our start to the season.

I thought last Saturday's draw with St Johnstone was one we can take a lot of confidence from.

We had the chances and most of the play and it is a result we can build on.

I was also delighted for Freddie Daquin, who showed how important he can be for us. He was a bit behind the rest when he arrived here, but he is catching up on fitness and that was his best game so far. But the biggest thing for me from the game was our fans. They were brilliant, and even when we were behind, they stayed right behind us.

When you play away from home and your support is bigger than the home team and is making more noise, it really does give the players a big lift.

At times at Perth, it felt like a home game and that has to be a big help.

The only downside to the game was the sending off of big Jan Zemlik.

Having studied video evidence of both his bookings, I have to admit to being mystified as to what he did wrong. For the first one, Jan was booked for diving when he was actually fouled and we could see that from the dugout. I think the problem for the referee was that he was on the other side and could not see the foul he might not have been able to give it, but he was not in a position to say Jan dived either.

As for the second, he simply did nothing wrong, so there is no way he'll be getting fined by me. I don't understand the decision

and I can't even work out why, if the referee thinks he has elbowed someone, he only shows him yellow when he's already given a straight red to a St Johnstone player for the same offence.

And with Jan going off for two bookings, we have no right of appeal and that means he definitely misses today's home clash with Partick Thistle.

That is a blow because in our last home game against Queen of the South, he and Bob Davidson caused them a lot of problems. The good thing about Bob is that having left him out of the midweek game with Morton, he was very disappointed, but came back and scored a penalty and a good goal, which is exactly the reaction I am looking for.

The whole midfield were a driving force again too, though sometimes our final ball into the box wasn't quite right, at times we tried to drill a ball in when a wee cutback was what was needed, a wee bit of finesse, but overall I'm just delighted to get the three points

We created a hell of a lot of chances, and I thought at one stage it wasn't going to come for us. We hit the woodwork twice as well, big Jan had three chances that on another day he could have dispatched, but the pleasing aspect is we are creating chances though.

Resultswise, the only blip was the home defeat to Ross County in the Challenge Cup.

We paid for a slow start, at half time we said a few things and changed things about a bit, putting Derek Lyle up front to give us

a bit more physical presence. Second half perhaps we could have got something out of the match, but I'd made ten changes and that showed at times some of the boys weren't up to speed. I think we hit the woodwork three times at the death but it wasn't to be our night, but good luck to Ross County in the next round.

Having faced one of the teams hoping to challenge for the title last week, we have a similar scenario this afternoon with the visit

of Partick Thistle. Ian McCall's men have made an excellent start to the season, so we will have to be at our best to beat them.