Livingston 1
Dundee 3
League (First Division)


1 - 3


League (First Division)
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007
Almondvale Park
Attendance: 1,980
3:00 PM Kick-off

Graham Dorrans (33) Robert Davidson (pen.) (65)
Robert Davidson (80)
Kevin McDonald (89)

Team Managers
John Robertson Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Colin Stewart
2. Scott Mitchell
3. Steven Tweed
4. James McPake
5. Stuart Golabek
6. Dave Mackay
7. Allan Walker
8. Graham Dorrans
9. Lee Makel
10. Steven Craig
11. Jamie Mole
Ludovic Roy .1
Jay Shields .2
Gary Mackenzie .3
Gary Smith .4
Paul Dixon .5
Kevin McDonald .6
Scott Robertson .7
Paul McHale .8
Gavin Swankie .9
Derek Lyle .10
Robert Davidson .11

12. Craig Wight
14. Daryl Smylie
15. Liam Fox
16. Joe Hamill
17. Gary Miller
Callum Reidford .12
Danny Griffin .14
Craig Higgins .15
Khalid Hamdaoui .16
Kevin Smith .17

Liam Fox for Lee Makel (46)
Joe Hamill for Steven Craig (55)
Gary Miller for Steven Tweed (63)
Kevin Smith for Derek Lyle (35)

Scott Mitchell (20) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Mike Tumilty (Referee)

Match Report

Alex Rae left himself out of the side and restored Kevin McDonald to the starting eleven for Dundee's visit to Almondvale and his decision paid big dividends as the midfielder gave Livingston's Stuart Golabeck a torrid time on an afternoon where the Dark Blues showed character, determination, workrate and a fair smattering of flair as they fought back to earn what in the end was a very comfortable win.

The only other change to the starting team was Bob Davidson's return and it was an occasion of joy for the former Ranger, he scored his first goals in Dark Blue, to fire Dundee level then ahead, before McDonald put the icing on the cake with a late clincher.

Livi opened brightly and they had the first pop at goal in the second minute, Scott Mitchell striding forward from midfield and firing a shot just over. Dundee hit back and in the sixth minute McDonald raced away down the right and his cross picked out Davidson but his effort was blocked.

The play swung from end to end but it was the twentieth minute before the next real opportunity came, Gavin Swankie finding space to curl in a cross that Davidson headed goalwards but home keeper Colin Stewart fielded the effort comfortably.

At the other end the home side should have taken the lead in 25 minutes, Allan Walker finding the ball at his feet in a crowded area following Jamie Mole's cross. but his poked effort only found the arms of Ludovic Roy

Seven minutes later Livingston were ahead somewhat against the run of play during a period of Dundee pressure, a clearance was lashed out of the home penalty area and Graham Dorrans and Jay Shields challenged for the high ball, the impressive

Dorrans flicking the ball on and racing clear with McHale and Swankie trailing in his wake, only Roy now had a chance to stop the Scotland youth international but Dorrans gave him no chance with a clinical finish.

Dundee almost struck back straight away as Davidson raced down the right and curled a cross perfectly to Lyle outside the back post, the normally deadly striker was off balance though and although he managed to poke the ball towards the net keeper Stewart recovered to scramble back and scoop the ball off the line.

That was pretty much Lyle's last involvement, having to leave the pitch almost immediately after falling to run off an ankle knock picked up early in the match, Kevin Smith coming on as his replacement.

The half time interval saw some misgivings amongst the travelling support, Dundee had performed well enough in the opening half but had failed to take their chances and been hit by a sucker punch goal, with the Club's top scorer off it was hard to see where an equaliser was going to come from

It didn't take long on the restart for a suggestion as to where that goal would come from, Davidson racing onto Shields long ball and firing a shot into Stewarts body virtually straight from the kick off, and eight minutes in they had another opportunity, Kevin McDonald driving in from the right and firing an angled shot which Stewart tipped round the post.

With McDonald still showing that he had the better of Golabeck, McHale and Robertson's hard work monopolising possession for the Dark Blues and Davidson and Smith interchanging well up front Dundee now looked likely to equalise as torrential rain hit West Lothian. Livi's hopes were about to be drowned by Davidson.

The equaliser came just after the hour Davidson picked up the ball on the right and drove towards goal cutting inside Dave Mackay and ten taking on Golabeck, as he entered the penalty area he was felled by the on loan from Caley Thistle defender and referee Mike Turmilty pointed to the spot

Gavin Swankie sauntered across to enquire if he could add to his penalty tally (having been successful at Clyde with his previous effort), but Davidson could sense a first goal in Dundee's colours and waved away the winger before despatching the penalty low into the right hand corner of the net.

The rain blowing hard into the away section didn't matter now to the Dundee support, who renewed their vocal support as Dundee set out in search of a winner. They had plenty to shout about too as Dundee piled pressure on Stewart and his defence. There was another call for a penalty in 72 minutes as Kevin McDonald went down in the area, "Looked more likely than the first one" said Livi' boss John Robertson post match.

But that winner was always coming and it arrived with twelve minutes remaining to play, neat interplay on the right made space for McHale and his cross was met with a volleyed scissor kick by Davidson. who had arrived in the box at pace. The striker collapsed in a heap after the strike and the celebrations, on the pitch at least, were curtailed as he received treatment for cramp, but physio Karen Gibson soon had him back in the action.

Dundee continued to press and with six minutes to go Kevin Smith tried to grab his first goal for Dundee with a flashing header but Stewart was well placed in the home goal and denied the on loan from Sunderland hit-man.

If anyone deserved a goal it was Kev McDonald and he got that reward with two minutes left, Davidson feeding he ball to the big midfielder who spun inside and fired a shot with his left foot which found the net via the inside of the post to complete a great comeback for Dundee and cap his best individual performance of the season.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at March 3rd, 2007)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 25 - 25 -
Paul Dixon20 30 - 692
Gary Mackenzie21 18 - 18 -
Gary Smith35 151151
Kevin McDonald18 272605
Paul McHale25 7 - 7 -
Scott Robertson21 312844
Jay Shields21 14 - 14 -
Robert Davidson20 7272
Derek Lyle26 24132413
Gavin Swankie23 299329
Kevin Smith (sub)19 6 - 6 -

League Table (as at March 3rd, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.