Clyde 2
Dundee 1
League (First Division)


2 - 1


League (First Division)
Saturday, December 16th, 2006
Broadwood Stadium
Attendance: 1,088
3:00 PM Kick-off

Gary Arbuckle (36)
Stephen O'Donnell (pen.) (38)
Gavin Swankie (pen.) (87)

Team Managers
Joe Miller Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. David Hutton
2. Chris Higgins
3. Neil McGregor
4. Craig McKeown
5. Eddie Malone
6. Craig Bryson
7. Stephen O'Donnell
8. Michael McGowan
9. Ryan McCann
10. Gary Arbuckle
11. Andy Ferguson
Callum Reidford .1
Jay Shields .2
Bobby Mann .3
Gary Smith .4
Paul Dixon .5
Andy McLaren .6
Scott Robertson .7
Alex Rae .8
Gavin Swankie .9
Derek Lyle .10
Robert Campbell .11

12. Peter Cherrie
14. Rod Hunter
15. Joe Miller
16. Alex Williams
17. Ruari MacLennan
Gary Mackenzie .12
Kevin McDonald .14
Ross Harris .15
Jon Boggan .16
Danny Griffin .17

Alex Williams for Andy Ferguson (65)
Ruari MacLennan for Ryan McCann (69)
Kevin McDonald for Robert Campbell (46)
Ross Harris for Scott Robertson (72)
Gary Mackenzie for Derek Lyle (82)

Neil McGregor (48)
Neil McGregor (49)
David Hutton (87)
Derek Lyle (37)
Gavin Swankie (58)
Paul Dixon (74)
Kevin McDonald (76)
Andy McLaren (87)
Andy McLaren (87)

Red Cards
Neil McGregor (49) Andy McLaren (87)
Andy McLaren (88)
Andy McLaren (89)

Match Officials

Dougie McDonald (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee failed to capitalise on the many chances they created in a 2-1 win for Clyde on a rain-soaked day at Broadwood Stadium. The game came to life in the second half with a player a side being sent off within minutes of their initial bookings and plenty of chances at both ends with both Dundee's Calum Reidford and Clyde keeper Hutton keeping the score at 2-0 after first half goals by Gary Arbuckle and Stephen O'Donnell.

It took the home side just two minutes to carve open the first chance of the game with ex-Dundee striker Andy Ferguson sending O'Donnell's cross from the left just over the bar. Both teams seemed to be sluggish in the early stages of the game with neither team being able to keep possession of the ball long enough to create any real threatening attack. But Ferguson was again involved in the action in the 15th minute as he whipped the ball into the box, but again Clyde were unable to make any advantage of the chance as Gary Arbuckle headed wide of the mark.

Dundee's first opening came just minutes later. Robert Campbell crossed he ball into the area, only for the ball to be taken away from Andy McLaren on the corner of the six yard box as he went to header the ball. From then onwards both Dundee and Clyde seemed to up the pace a little, Gary Smith's initial shot was palmed away by keeper Hutton. The resultant corner was then bundled into the net by the combination of Lyle and McLaren, but the referee had already blown for a foul on the home keeper. Clyde also came close to breaking the deadlock when, in the 22nd minute, Reidford did well to hold McGowan's shot at the near post.

A goal seemed almost inevitable and it came in the 36th minute. Eddie Malone's cross into the box was knocked across the goal-face by Byson, allowing Gary Arbuckle to slot home the opening in-front of Bobby Mann. For the next proceeding minutes Dundee lost their way, and moments later the score read 2-0. On-loan Hibs defender Jay Shields brought down goal-scorer Arbuckle, leading to Stephen O'Donnell slotting the resultant penalty past Reidford at the right post.

As Dundee tried to regain their composure after losing two goals in quick succession, Gavin Swankie brought the first half to a close with a free-kick held by Hutton at the left hand post.

With a view of getting something out of the game, Alex Rae brought on Kevin McDonald for Robert Campbell. Within minutes of being on the park McDonald made an impact and in the 47th minute won a free-kick just outside the 18-yard box after being fouled by home player Neil McGregor. But for the Clyde defender he was not to see much more of the action as within a minute of his first booking he was sent off for a second bookable offence against boss Alex Rae.

Although gaining a one-man advantage it was Clyde who persisted in moving forward. The ball broke kindly for Ferguson who charged through on Reidford's goal, Gary Smith and Jay Shields both chased endlessly in hope of wining the ball back, and it was the latter who put in a last ditch tackle before Ferguson could pull the trigger. The game became more open with some fluent football. Rae took a free- kick from just within the Clyde halt, McDonald pulled the ball back to Shields who crossed into the box, only for Swankie's near post header to be saved again. Soon after the attacker was yellow carded for a late challenge on Byson.

As the match progressed Dundee created more chances as the score looked less likely to stay at 2-0. After clever play in the midfield by Scott Robertson, Rae was sent through in the box, and after taking a touch shot wide of the post. The chances keep coming and minutes later the ball again broke inside the box, but this time for striker Swankie, but the shot went straight to the keeper who made an easy save in the end. Gary Smith, who had again looked solid in defence made a long run

forward, which ended in the ball being played to Paul Dixon, after looking up the young full back took a shot on the home goal but again could not get past Hutton.

Gavin Swankie was again in the thick of the action as another header was sent wide after a cross from the right from Jay Shields. Dundee picked up another booking, this time after Paul Dixon challenged Stephen O'Donnell from behind, and Kevin McDonald also followed his team-mate into the referee's book. From the resultant free- kick from McDonald's caution, Clyde's trialist fired the ball across the goal but the bal was well held by Reidford.

With ten minutes to go Garry McKenzie made his comeback from injury, replacing Derek Lyle. The former Rangers player was pushed upfront and within a minute of being on the park could have put Dundee right back into the game. Andy McLaren's cross met the head of McKenzie in the six yard box. with the ball heading straight into the hands of the keeper. Had McKenzie known how much time he actually had to control the ball, maybe he could have scored his first League goal for the club.

In the 85th minute player-manager Alex Rae was tripped in the box by home defender Higgins. Swankie then sent keeper Hutton the wrong way with the resultant penalty. Andy McLaren was red carded and with the game poised at 2-1, both sides playing with ten men, the game was still there for the taking. Near the death Bobby Mann headed the ball wide of the post after being in a great position to head in the equaliser.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at December 16th, 2006)

2006-07 All Time
Callum Reidford (GK) - 4 - 4 -
Paul Dixon20 19 - 582
Bobby Mann32 151925
Gary Smith35 5151
Jay Shields21 2 - 2 -
Alex Rae37 183183
Scott Robertson21 19 - 722
Andy McLaren - 123123
Gavin Swankie23 197227
Robert Campbell - 14 - 14 -
Derek Lyle25 126126
Gary Mackenzie (sub)21 6 - 6 -
Kevin McDonald (sub)18 181514
Ross Harris (sub)22 161161

League Table (as at December 16th, 2006)

No league table has been added for this season.