Brechin City 1
Dundee 3
League (First Division)

Brechin City 

1 - 3


League (First Division)
Saturday, October 1st, 2005
Glebe Park
Attendance: 2,022
3:00 PM Kick-off

Stuart Callaghan (45) Simon Lynch (13)
Steven Craig (30)
Simon Lynch (34)

Team Managers
Ian Campbell Alan Kernaghan

Starting Eleven
1. Craig Nelson
2. Craig McEwan
3. Davie White
4. Scott Walker
5. Paul Deas
6. Charlie King
7. Steve Ferguson
8. Kevin Byers
9. Stuart Callaghan
10. Paul Ritchie
11. Gerry Britton
Kelvin Jack .1
Stuart McCluskey .2
Bobby Mann .3
Adrian Madaschi .4
Callum MacDonald .5
Scott Robertson .6
Barry Smith .7
Kevin McDonald .8
Scott Gates .9
Simon Lynch .10
Steven Craig .11

12. John Hillcoat
14. Craig Winter
15. Darren Smith
16. Alex Burns
17. Steve Hampshire
Scott Murray .12
Paul Dixon .14
Craig O'Reilly .15
Andy Ferguson .16
Graham Hay .17

Darren Smith for Craig McEwan (47)
Steve Hampshire for Paul Ritchie (65)
Alex Burns for Charlie King (73)
Andy Ferguson for Steven Craig (63)
Paul Dixon for Scott Gates (79)
Craig O'Reilly for Simon Lynch (86)

Kevin Byers (39) Simon Lynch (85)

Red Cards
Stuart Callaghan (67) None.

Match Officials

Steven Duff (Referee)
Steve McLean & Eric Robertson (Assistants)

Match Report

Alan Kernaghan gave youth its fling at Glebe Park and reaped instant dividends for his bravery when the side sparked into life again after a run of dismal attacking displays. There's still a long way to go, but the freshness that the introduction of Kevin McDonald and Scott Gates brought to the side was very encouraging.

McDonald was probably the most stylish player on view, passing the ball neatly throughout, and Scott Gates very first touch saw Brechin's McEwan wondering where the diminutive winger had gone after a glorious touch had left the full back for dead. The youngster gained a tremendous ovation from the travelling support when substituted in 79 minutes after several fine runs that brought the crowd to their feet.

That injection of youth also brought the best out of several of those who have struggled in recent weeks, Barry Smith looking more his old self on his 400th first team outing, and strikers Simon Lynch and Steven Craig showing signs of developing into a really good partnership.

That pair scored Dundee's goals as they raced into a 3-0 first half lead and Callum Macdonald, making his first start of the season, provided the ammunition for all three. The opener came on 14 minutes, Macdonald firing forward a ball which bounced in front of Paul Deas, deceiving the Brechin defender and he was helpless as Lynch raced clear, going on to round Nelson in the Brechin goal and slid it home. On the half hour mark, Callum Macdonald fired a pass out to Craig wide on the left wing and the striker showed a fine turn of pace to zip past White and head goalwards. As he cut in, he forced Nelson to commit himself and beat the keeper at the near post before racing away to celebrate.

Four minutes later Dundee were on easy street as another Macdonald through ball found Lynch clean through on goal again, this time he lobbed the advancing Nelson to make it three-nil.

Nelson was the Brechin hero soon afterwards as he did superbly well to deny Callum Macdonald following a Scott Robertson corner from the left, the keeper getting down to block the defender's shot.

The former Falkirk and Partick custodian was lucky as half time approached though as kid Kev' McDonald chased a ball down the right, the keeper shoving the midfielder over and being fortunate not to concede a penalty.

City had been blown away on a breezy day at Glebe Park, but they appeared to have gained a lifeline right on the break, former Dee Gerry Britton fed Charlie King with a great knockdown on the left and the talented midfielder jinked to the bye-line before laying a neat ball back to the edge of the penalty area where it was met by a rocket shot from Stuart Callaghan to reduce the deficit.

That gave the home side renewed hope, but they were largely unable to take advantage of the strong wind at their backs as Dundee's increasingly solid defence held firm. In fact it was Dundee who came closest to scoring, Lynch and Craig both firing shots narrowly wide. In 67 minutes the points were pretty much assured when City goalscorer Callaghan was red carded for a second bookable offence after stopping a through ball, which would have sent Lynch clear, with his hand.

Kernaghan could afford to give his strikers a rest and introduced Andy Ferguson for Craig before giving a competitive debut to Craig O'Reilly with four minutes remaining.

Dundee came close again in the closing minutes Bobby Mann having a header cleared off the line following Paul Dixon's corner as they eased to the three points and their first away win in over a year.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at October 1st, 2005)

2005-06 All Time
Kelvin Jack (GK) - 11 - 13 -
Callum MacDonald22 2 - 441
Adrian Madaschi - 12 - 12 -
Bobby Mann31 122442
Stuart McCluskey - 3 - 3 -
Barry Smith31 12 - 4004
Scott Gates17 1 - 1 -
Kevin McDonald16 3 - 3 -
Scott Robertson20 111211
Steven Craig24 3232
Simon Lynch23 128128
Paul Dixon (sub)18 9 - 9 -
Andy Ferguson (sub) - 10 - 10 -
Craig O'Reilly (sub)18 1 - 1 -

League Table (as at October 1st, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.