Dunfermline Athletic 5
Dundee 0
League (Premier League)


5 - 0


League (Premier League)
Saturday, May 7th, 2005
East End Park
Attendance: 8,313
3:00 PM Kick-off

Derek Young (2)
Derek Young (29)
Calum McDonald (o.g) (33)
Andrius Skerla (39')
Derek Young (64)

Team Managers
Jim Leishman Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. Derek Stillie
5 Andrius Skerla
3. Scott Wilson
25. Iain Campbell
18. Andy Tod
6. Scott Thomson
4. Darren Young
8. Gary Mason
10. Lee Makel
11. Derek Young
26. Craig Wilson
Derek Soutar .1
Callum MacDonald .17
Bobby Mann .5
Stephen McNally .20
Barry Smith .2
Iain Anderson .11
Garry Brady .12
Mark Fotheringham .8
Steven Robb .18
Fabian Caballero .26
Steve Lovell .9

20. Jamie Langfield
42. Greg Ross
14. Simon Donnelly
37. John Dunn
9. Noel Hunt
19. Aaron Labonte
21. Billy Mehmet
Francois Dubourdeau .24
Neil Barrett .14
Neil Clark .23
Aaron Conway .21
Scott Robertson .22
Glen Atle Larsen .7

Billy Mehmet for Andy Tod (63)
Aaron Labonte for Scott Thomson (71)
Noel Hunt for Derek Young (79)
Scott Robertson for Mark Fotheringham (79)
Glen Atle Larsen for Stephen McNally (79)
Neil Barrett for Steve Lovell (86)

Andrius Skerla (3)
Noel Hunt (36)
Darren Young (61)
Steve Lovell (35)
Mark Fotheringham (39)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Alan Freeland (Referee)
Andy Davis & Mark Doyle (Assistants)
Stephen Finnie (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Jim Leishman's return to the manager's role at East End Park, albeit on a short-term basis, galvanised the home support, and the stadium was buzzing as the vital relegation kicked off.

Dundee looked right up for it in the opening moments as they stormed forwards and forced a corner in the opening minute, but some ridiculous defending was going to cost them big in this encounter.

The first defensive calamity happened before many of the large travelling support had taken their seats, after the kick off was delayed by five minutes.

Just two minutes into the match, Dundee found themselves a goal down and it would be the first of several personal disasters for keeper Derek Soutar.

Lee Makel's cross was headed powerfully goalwards, and though Soutar appeared to gather comfortably, it squirmed from his grasp, hitting Bobby Mann and bounced into the path of Derek Young who accepted the gift with glee It would be the first of three presents he'd collect.

Shocked as they may have been by that disaster, The 'Dee rallied and dominated much of the next twenty minutes or so. A succession of corners kept the Pars defence busy and Bobby Mann came close to equalising only for Derek Stillie to make a fine save to deny the central defender his first goal in dark blue.

At the other end, Soutar had come to collect a couple of crosses and any nerves from that early gaffe appeared to have disappeared, but they were about to return in spectacular style as a further three goals were conceded between the 29th and 39th minute. The first of these was another nightmare for Soutar, who along with Callum Macdonald didn't react nearly quickly enough after the keeper had blocked a Derek Young shot.

The keeper and defender waited for each other to deal with the situation, but when neither did, Young nipped in to net his second snip of the match.

Four minutes later, it was solely down to Macdonald as Dunfermline went three up. Derek Young's cross-cum-shot was heading for a throw in, but MacDonald stuck out a leg to avert an imagined threat, only to knock the ball into the unguarded net.

Skipper Barry Smith may have given the young defender pelters, but the defensive shambles wasn't over yet. Incredibly after 39 minutes, Dundee found themselves four down, despite having had the bulk of first half pressure, though this time at least it was a decent goal from the home sides viewpoint rather than an outright gift from the Dens defence, Skerla's header from Makel's cross giving Soutar no chance.

Dundee still pressed and lain Anderson rattled the bar with a thirty-yarder but by now Dunfermline had drawn massive confidence from the ineptitude of the visiting back line and were mounting just as many attacks of their own.

To the surprise of the visiting support there were no changes at the interval and with the game won and lost there was a much more balanced feel to the second half.

Both sides pressed, but while Dunfermline's defence continued to be rock solid there was one more costly mistake from Dundee around the corner.

Post match Soutar would admit that an over eagerness to atone for his earlier errors led to his 64th minute charge from his line to try to intercept a ball aimed for Derek Young.

There was no real chance of him doing so, and all his rush of blood did was make the striker's task of completing his hat- trick easier, and also complete an uncharacteristically awful day for the keeper.

Both sides came close before time up, Caballero's long range snap-shot again bringing a fine save from Stillie, but there was no further scoring as Dunfermline edged level on points with Dundee and significantly well ahead on goal difference.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at May 7th, 2005)

2004-05 All Time
Derek Soutar (GK)23 38 - 39 -
Callum MacDonald21 33 - 40 -
Bobby Mann31 30 - 30 -
Stephen McNally - 19 - 21 -
Barry Smith31 38 - 3864
Iain Anderson27 20317323
Garry Brady28 2711042
Mark Fotheringham21 30 - 594
Steven Robb23 333624
Fabian Caballero27 27114026
Steve Lovell24 34159636
Scott Robertson (sub)20 8 - 8 -
Neil Barrett (sub)23 302433
Glen Atle Larsen (sub) - 181181

League Table (as at May 7th, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.