Kilmarnock 1
Dundee 0
League (Premier League)


1 - 0


League (Premier League)
Saturday, April 23rd, 2005
Rugby Park
Attendance: 3,770
3:00 PM Kick-off

Craig Dargo (84) None.

Team Managers
Jim Jefferies Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. Alan Combe
2. James Fowler
3. Garry Hay
4. David William Lilley
5. Gordon Greer
6. Frederic Dindeleux
7. Gary McDonald
8. Gary Locke
22. Peter Leven
9. Kris Boyd
14. Gary Wales
Derek Soutar .1
Joel Kitamirike .25
Callum MacDonald .17
Bobby Mann .5
Brent Sancho .3
Barry Smith .2
Iain Anderson .11
Garry Brady .12
Steven Robb .18
Steve Lovell .9
Tam McManus .16

13. Graeme Smith
12. Allan Johnston
19. Stephen Murray
21. Rhian Dodds
10. Craig Dargo
15. Colin Nish
11. Danny Invincibile
Francois Dubourdeau .24
Neil Barrett .14
Aaron Conway .21
Mark Fotheringham .8
Glen Atle Larsen .7
Fabian Caballero .26
John Sutton .10

Danny Invincibile for Gordon Greer (22)
Colin John Nish for Kris Boyd (81)
Craig Dargo for Gary Wales (81)
Neil Barrett for Brent Sancho (46)
John Sutton for Steve Lovell (75)
Fabian Caballero for Tam McManus (83)

None. Bobby Mann (41)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Steve Conroy (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee almost got away with a performance which saw them defend well enough, albeit, particularly in the second half, far too deeply.

They pretty much invited Killie to come and have a go throughout that period, but endured until just five minutes from time when substitute Craig Dargo's mishit shot finally beat Derek Soutar via the base of the post.

Remarkably there hadn't been a goalless draw in any match at Rugby Park in over four years, but for the majority of this game it looked as if that run was going to end. The first half was largely bereft of thrills for a crowd whose size showed that the Kilmarnock public had decided the home side's season had nothing more to offer post-split.

The visiting support too was short on numbers, the more familiar journey to Ayrshire obviously not appealing as much as the first ever trip to Inverness Caley the previous week when more than a thousand Dark Blue devotees had travelled.

Dundee had the better of what little goalmouth action there was in that opening period.

Tam McManus fired an early shot across the face of goal and then Steven Robb was inches away from connection with a Kitamirike cutback with the goal e goal gaping.

Kilmarnock's first meaningful attack came in the thirteenth minute when Gary Wales fired a volley wide of the target.

The one real opportunity of the half came Dundee's way as a Robb corner from the right dropped at the feet of lain Anderson, and the winger had time to take a touch before lashing in a fifteen yard angled drive, but it found the side- netting rather than the intended target.

Brent Sancho had treatment for a twisted ankle midway through the half, but was in considerable pain and didn't reappear after the interval, Neil Barrett was his replacement and slotted into right midfield with Robb moving to left back and Anderson switching to the left of the midfield.

It shouldn't have been a significant change to the formation, but as Jim Duffy said post match "It seemed to be that Kilmarnock took the centre to start the second half and we went straight back and sat in."

That allowed Kilmarnock to push forward continually, and put themselves under pressure for the next forty minutes. It seemed a recipe for disaster, but looked as if might work, because only once was Derek Soutar seriously called into action, excelling to tip away Danny Invincibile's rocket shot ten minutes into the half.

Otherwise, he only had to make a couple of routine saves, as Dundee generally held firm and dealt with some ease as a succession of crosses were aimed at Boyd, who was not having one of his better days.

The home support didn't want the striker substituted though, and whenbJim Jeffries eventually decided that his time was up and sent on Dargo and Colin Nish for Wales and Boyd in 81 minutes there was widespread derision amongst the home faithful. The Killie' boss knew better than his support though, because that change was needed and the lively Dargo immediately caused more bother than the starting strikers had, with his quick moves beginning to make the Dundee defence look unsure at times.

With five minutes to go, Leven put in a cross from the left and a poor first touch by Dargo actually helped him find space as the defence dithered, and he drove in a low shot that beat Soutar and rolled home off the post to secure the points.

Dundee did attempt to up the pace and charged forward in the few remaining minutes.

Anderson fired in a twenty-yarder that Combe did well to hang onto at the second attempt as Sutton dived in to try to get a final touch.

Whilst a brave save, it was a rare bit of action for a keeper who'd spent most of the second half observing from afar.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at April 23rd, 2005)

2004-05 All Time
Derek Soutar (GK)23 36 - 37 -
Joel Kitamirike - 6 - 6 -
Callum MacDonald21 31 - 38 -
Bobby Mann31 28 - 28 -
Brent Sancho28 281531
Barry Smith31 36 - 3844
Iain Anderson27 18317123
Garry Brady28 2511022
Steven Robb23 313604
Steve Lovell24 32149435
Tam McManus24 114114
Neil Barrett (sub)23 292423
Fabian Caballero (sub)27 25113826
John Sutton (sub)21 338338

League Table (as at April 23rd, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.