Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3
Dundee 2
League (Premier League)

Inverness CT 

3 - 2


League (Premier League)
Saturday, April 16th, 2005
Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 4,786
3:00 PM Kick-off

Roy McBain (17)
Bryan Prunty (38)
Craig Brewster (65)
Tam McManus (74)
John Sutton (80)

Team Managers
Craig Brewster Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. Mark Brown
4. Darren Dods
14. Grant Munro
16. Richard Hastings
2. Ross Tokely
24. Ian Black
7. Barry Wilson
10. Richard Hart
6. Roy McBain
19. Brian Prunty
25. Craig Brewster
Derek Soutar .1
Joel Kitamirike .25
Callum MacDonald .17
Bobby Mann .5
Brent Sancho .3
Neil Barrett .14
Mark Fotheringham .8
Steven Robb .18
Fabian Caballero .26
Steve Lovell .9
Tam McManus .16

21. Michael Fraser
23. Liam Fox
27. Bajram Fatai
28. Rory McAllister
9. Graham Bayne
18. David Proctor
Francois Dubourdeau .24
Iain Anderson .11
Aaron Conway .21
Scott Robertson .22
Glen Atle Larsen .7
John Sutton .10

David Proctor for Richie Hart (46)
Russell Duncan for Ian Black (65)
Graham Bayne for Craig Brewster (72)
Iain Anderson for Steve Lovell (36)
Scott Robertson for Mark Fotheringham (63)
John Sutton for Neil Barrett (76)

Grant Munro (70)
Darren Dods (88)
Russell Duncan (89)
Neil Barrett (51)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Dougie MacDonald (Referee)
Stuart Macaulay & Gary Sweeney (Assistants)
Willie Collum (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Dundee's late fight back on their first competitive visit to the Caledonian Stadium made sure that the home side didn't claim a top six place.

The difference between Caley Thistle and Dundee was that the home side worked harder and went out to win the points from the start.

It might have been a different day had Callum Macdonald's effort from McManus' free-kick from the right gone in instead of hitting the post as Dundee almost scored in their first attack on six minutes, but from then until well past the interval, sadly it was pretty much one way traffic.

Caley Thistle adopted a shoot on sight policy. Several efforts flew harmlessly high and wide before their opener which was well worked, and ironically, scored by a player once deemed not good enough for Dundee in their First Division days Craig Brewster started the move, lofting a pass to Ross Tokely who flicked the ball inside the box and past Steven Robb to former Dee, Roy McBain who, in acres of space, took a touch before firing home.

Derek Soutar was a busy boy immediately after the opener. First he had to be alert as a Brewster effort scraped inches wide, and then to hold a Tokley effort.

Bobby Mann skippered the side in the absence of the suspended Barry Smith, and in 34 minutes led by example, doing well to cut out a Wilson cross at the back post as Prunty waited to pounce.

Tam McManus had little support up front, with Steve Lovell struggling after an early knock, but the former Hibee tried his luck from 30 yards with an effort which flew narrowly wide.

Lovell clearly couldn't continue and was duly replaced by lain Anderson on 36 minutes and his introduction was greeted with acclaim by the one thousand plus. travelling support, but his arrival only signalled a second Caley goal.

Neil Barrett dived into a tackle to prevent Wilson getting in a shot, and referee Dougie McDonald pointed to the penalty spot. As Wilson prepared to take the kick keeper Soutar consulted former Caley skipper Mann, and his advice appeared to pay off as the goalie dived to his right to block Wilson's effort and then the taker's follow up effort.

The ball ran loose in the area with only Mann reacting adequately

to help the keeper, getting

back to guard the line, but as the ball looped to the back post, Prunty looped his header over the central defender and into the net.

Dundee were reeling and glad to hear the interval whistle, but there was to be no respite as the second half got underway, and Caley were awarded another penalty, this time a soft award for Kitamirike's challenge on Prunty on 47 minutes. Wilson was given the chance to atone for his earlier miss, but Soutar stayed up as long as possible and dived to his left again.

left to deny The save at last seemed to ignite some fight into Dundee, and Anderson brought the best from home custodian Brown who flew to tip his 30-yarder over the bar.

At long last, the Dark Blues were competing, but the defence went to sleep in 65 minutes and conceded a third goal.

Wilson may not have had any luck from the penalty spot, but proved more adept at delivering free kicks when he whipped in one from the left which found Brewster all alone twelve yards out and the veteran striker powered his header past Soutar in typically expert fashion.

That goal set Caley up for a real chance of a top six place, with Motherwell losing, but eight minutes after Brewster's goal he departed the action by which time Dundee were pushing for a goal of their own.

They got one back two minutes later as Anderson rapped another thirty-yarder off the bar, and the ever-alert McManus prodded home the rebound from close range.

Dundee had to go gung-ho to have any chance of dragging themselves back into the match, and Duffy introduced John Sutton immediately after McManus' strike and he got his name on the score sheet after just four minutes.

Steven Robb cut in from the left and fed the ball wide to the right where Anderson had found space. The winger curled in a great cross that Sutton expertly flicked home. Pressing almost continually now, The Dee couldn't make the breakthrough that would have brought an unlikely, and undeserved point.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at April 16th, 2005)

2004-05 All Time
Derek Soutar (GK)23 35 - 36 -
Joel Kitamirike - 5 - 5 -
Callum MacDonald21 30 - 37 -
Bobby Mann31 27 - 27 -
Brent Sancho28 271521
Neil Barrett23 282413
Mark Fotheringham21 29 - 584
Steven Robb23 303594
Fabian Caballero27 24113726
Steve Lovell24 31149335
Tam McManus24 104104
Iain Anderson (sub)27 17317023
Scott Robertson (sub)20 7 - 7 -
John Sutton (sub)21 328328

League Table (as at April 16th, 2005)

No league table has been added for this season.