Inverness Caledonian Thistle 2
Dundee 1
League (Premier League)

Inverness CT 

2 - 1


League (Premier League)
Wednesday, October 27th, 2004
Pittodrie Stadium
Attendance: 1,254
7:45 PM Kick-off

Graham Bayne (40)
Graham Bayne (58)
Steve Lovell (72)

Team Managers
John Robertson Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. Mark Brown
4. Darren Dods
14. Grant Munro
2. Ross Tokely
3. Stuart Golabek
7. Barry Wilson
10. Richard Hart
12. Russell Duncan
6. Roy McBain
9. Graham Bayne
11. Carricondo Juanjo
Derek Soutar .1
Bobby Mann .5
Stephen McNally .20
Brent Sancho .3
Barry Smith .2
Neil Barrett .14
Garry Brady .12
Steven Robb .18
Glen Atle Larsen .7
Steve Lovell .9
John Sutton .10

21. Michael Fraser
16. Richard Hastings
17. Darran Thomson
23. Liam Fox
24. Ian Black
15. Liam Keogh
19. Brian Prunty
Kelvin Jack .13
Jonay Hernández .16
Callum MacDonald .17
Iain Anderson .11
Mark Fotheringham .8
Fabian Caballero .26
Neil Jablonski .15

Liam Keogh for Richie Hart (78)
Michael Fraser for Mark Brown (87)
Bryan Prunty for Graham Bayne (90)
Fabian Caballero for Glen Atle Larsen (56)
Mark Fotheringham for Neil Barrett (64)

Russell Duncan (60) Steve Lovell (81)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Mike Ritchie (Referee)

Match Report

Jim Duffy wasn't in a good mood as he faced the press after Dundee were outfought by an Inverness side that fully deserved their win at Pittodrie.

While he claimed that his defenders had thought Graeme Bayne offside as he ran through to score the first, and that Caley Thistle's second came via a huge slice of luck, he wasn't taking anything away from a battling Inverness side

"The team that won deserved to win," admitted Jim, going on to say, "Inverness showed a hunger and appetite that was a credit to them.

"Our players thought the first goal was offside, and the second one was a huge deflection. But in terms of general play we can't complain at the outcome.

"We seem to go from one extreme to another. Ten days ago against Kilmarnock was as well as we've played since pre-administration times. Tonight, though, was almost as poor as we've played over the same period. My players only showed the required appetite when it was too late."

For the second time in five days, Dundee allowed a foot of the table side to surge into a two goal lead, despite the Dens men having the better of the opening part of the match.

Whilst the weekend performance against Dunfermline at least had a measure of decent football from Duffy's men, this midweek visit to a venue which is normally a Dark Blue fortress saw a display pretty much bereft of ideas from a Dundee side who, ever post administration, should have had enough talent to avoid being dragged into a relegation dog fight.

There was a selection surprise as Dundee took the field with weekend scorer lain Anderson being replaced by Glen Larsen, and while that move was a bit of a shock the attendance inside the stadium wasn't.

Around 400 Dundee fans were in a crowd that numbered 1254, and that gate again illustrated what a ridiculous situation the decision to make Caley Thistle play their games from 100 miles Inverness has created.

Dundee controlled the early part of the match but without creating any real chances, indeed it was the 'home' side who had the first real opportunity, Barry Wilson found space on the right and fired over a low cross which was back-heeled away from goal by Mann, former Dee Roy McBain was first to react, but totally mis-hit a shot which looped harmlessly well over the bar.

Barry Smith was orchestrating some neat passing from Dundee and he was involved in the outstanding opportunity of the first half for the Dark Blues.

On 27 minutes he won the ball in midfield and passed to Sutton who set Larsen free with a clever flick. The Norwegian seemed certain to score as he raced on unchallenged, but his shot lacked pace and the advancing Brown saved.

Caley Thistle hit back and Juanjo cut inside to feed Wilson who slammed a 25 yarder narrowly off target.

As they denied Dundee space, the home side were coming into the match more and more. They came close again in 39 minutes, Juanjo's cross from the right found the head of Wilson who's effort was weak, but still going in until Bobby Mann appeared on the line to head clear and deny his former club.

The opener was only delayed though, because a minute later Dundee were caught out by a simple goal. Juanjo slid the ball between Mann and Sancho and as the defence appealed for offside former Dundee striker Graeme Bayne raced clear, the opportunity was identical to that spurned by Larsen at the other end, but Bayne's finish was clinical and the first chants of "Bobby what's the score" rang out from the far travelled home fans.

Three minutes later, Dundee should have been level. Larsen and Lovell combined well with a neat 1-2 and the latter should have burst the net from five yards. Golabek got in a challenge though and Lovell skied his effort off the defender and behind for a corner.

Half-time came with Dundee a little unfortunate to be behind, but the second period would see Caley Thistle become more and more dominant. The early moments of the second period did give signs of life from Dundee though. In a period of extended pressure, Russell Duncan cleared Mann's effort off the line, and seconds later Sancho was denied by a Brown save after a header from Barrett's cross. In fifty-six minutes Fabian Caballero arrived on the scene replacing Larsen, but before the Argentinean had time to influence the game, Dundee were two down and in bizarre circumstances. Juanjo fired in a thirty-yarder that wasn't going to present Soutar with any problems until it took a giant deflection off Bayne's chin and sailed into the opposite side of the goal. It was sickening blow for the Dees who now had a mountain to climb.

Six minutes after the goal, Duffy introduced Fotheringham for Barrett as Dundee tried to find some creativity, but too often the midfielder tried to hit thirty-yard killer passes on an evening where it must have been apparent, even from the bench, that any ball hit long would be taken out of play by the swirling wind. Fozzy was involved in one bit of fine play combining well to create space thirty- yards out, but with Robb on the left and Caballero on the right both unmarked and screaming for a pass, he went for glory and fired a shot high into the deserted stand behind the goal.

Dundee were struggling badly, but they got a goal back out of nothing in 73 minutes. Brady made space for himself on the left to curl an in swinging cross which evaded the defence and fell to Lovell fifteen yards out and the striker took a touch before firing a low, angled drive across Brown and into the bottom corner of the net.

Seven minutes later, the striker picked up Dundee's only yellow card of the evening, being rightly penalised for a rash challenge on Golabek, which came a minute after Duncan's name had gone in the referee's notebook for a trip on Caballero.

On this evidence Fabian is going to be the most fouled player in the league six free kicks being awarded for fouls on him in his spell on the park that's a foul every time he went on a run.

Dundee though never looked likely to take advantage of any of the resultant set pieces. They did have a good shout for a penalty in 81 minutes as Robb's cross came off Tokely's hand, but it would have been more than they deserved. Caley Thistle could even afford to take off injured keeper Brown and replace him with young Michael Fraser seven minutes from time, he'll think the Premierleague is a breeze after the Dark Blues failed to put any pressure on a lad making his debut.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at October 27th, 2004)

2004-05 All Time
Derek Soutar (GK)23 12 - 13 -
Bobby Mann30 13 - 13 -
Stephen McNally - 5 - 7 -
Brent Sancho27 12 - 37 -
Barry Smith30 13 - 3614
Neil Barrett22 10 - 231
Garry Brady28 131902
Steven Robb22 102393
Glen Atle Larsen - 8181
Steve Lovell23 1267427
John Sutton20 134134
Mark Fotheringham (sub)20 11 - 404
Fabian Caballero (sub)26 3 - 11625

League Table (as at October 27th, 2004)

No league table has been added for this season.