Aberdeen 1
Dundee 1
League (Premier League)


1 - 1


League (Premier League)
Saturday, October 2nd, 2004
Pittodrie Stadium
Attendance: 11,217
3:00 PM Kick-off

Markus Heikkinen (42) John Sutton (1)

Team Managers
Jimmy Calderwood Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. David Preece
15. Michael Hart
4. Russell Anderson
2. Philip McGuire
3. Kevin McNaughton
8. Markus Heikkinen
21. Richard Foster
9. Steven Craig
10. Derek Adams
7. Steve Tosh
6. Scott Severin
Derek Soutar .1
Bobby Mann .5
Stephen McNally .20
Brent Sancho .3
Barry Smith .2
Iain Anderson .11
Neil Barrett .14
Mark Fotheringham .8
Steven Robb .18
Steve Lovell .9
John Sutton .10

20. Ryan Esson
16. Scott Morrison
25. Andrew Considine
17. Fergus Tiernan
18. Scott Muirhead
14. Darren Mackie
24. Fernando Pasquinelli
Kelvin Jack .13
Jonay Hernández .16
Tom Hutchinson .4
Callum MacDonald .17
Garry Brady .12
Fabian Caballero .26

Darren Mackie for Richard Foster (67)
Fernando Pasquinelli for Michael Hart (76)
Scott Muirhead for Steven Craig (83)
Jonay Hernández for Iain Anderson (54)
Fabian Caballero for John Sutton (77)
Garry Brady for Steve Lovell (83)

None. Iain Anderson (12)
Mark Fotheringham (24)
Mark Fotheringham (73)

Red Cards
None. Mark Fotheringham (73)

Match Officials

Mike McCurry (Referee)

Match Report

Jim Duffy admitted that his introduction of Fabian Caballero moments after Mark Fotheringham had been sent off was a 'psychological ploy' - "We needed the crowd behind us in the remaining time, and I knew that Fabian coming on would give them a lift, once they'd finished chanting his name they got right behind the rest of the players too, whether it was Barry Smith or Bobby Mann or whoever making a tackle they gave us important support when we needed it It was a bit like singing the first few bars of a good song, you know everyone will join in."

That support from the fifteen hundred Dees who made the trip North was vital as Dundee held out for a point against an Aberdeen team who battered the Dees in terms of possession, but lacked the quality to really hurt a defiant in Dens back line who all turned outstanding performances.

Dundee had taken the lead with just a minute on the clock through John Sutton, but Aberdeen levelled three minutes before the break through Markus Heikkinen who got away with handling the ball in the lead up to the goal.

For the first time this season boss Jim Duffy had pretty much a full squad from which to choose, with only Lee Wilkie still on the injured list, and took advantage of it to

make changes. Steven Robb and Stephen McNally I came in as full backs to counter Aberdeen's pace down the flanks, Whilst Steve Lovell replaced Glen Larsen up front.

The three who dropped out were on the bench along with the man many of the Dundee support had come to see make his return, Fabian Caballero.

Aberdeen had suffered a dip in results after a great start to the season, but few could have envisaged a start which saw Dundee ahead just past the one minute mark, Fotheringham's free kick from the right was won by Brent Sancho, who nodded the ball down.

Robb pounced to fire a low shot off Preece's legs and John Sutton was there to ram the ball home from close range. For a moment it looked as if referee Mike McCurry might rule it out after protests from the home defence, but on consulting his linesman he indicated the goal was good.

The home side appeared shell- hocked, but might have been level in five minutes as Anderson's header from Adam's cross came off the base of the post.

Dundee controlled the early stages of the match though, and came close to making it two in bizarre circumstances on 19 minutes. Kevin McNaughton lashed a back pass towards Preece, but it was badly over-hit and sailed over the keeper's head but went narrowly wide. Midway through the half, Brent Sancho had an effort blocked and when the ball fell to Sutton twenty yards out he managed to hit the target, but Preece comfortably saved.

lain Anderson had been booked in 14 minutes for a foul on Hart and Mark Fotheringham joined him on a yellow card ten minutes later. Mr McCurry appeared to have ignored Fotheringham's foul allowing play to continue, but once the move had broken down he correctly cautioned the midfielder.

Two minutes later, John Sutton should have done better after creating a great chance for himself, he flicked the ball over McGuire's head and had space in the box, but elected to take two touches to steady when one might have done the trick, Russell Anderson got across to make a great block and deny Sutton. Aberdeen struck the woodwork again in 34 minutes, Russell Anderson getting on the end of Adam's cross and found Craig, whose looping effort evaded Soutar, but always looked too high as it landed on top of the bar.

With three minutes to half time, the home side were level, Heikkinen had space to control Anderson's knock down, but as it struck his hand the home defence seemed to freeze, the Don didn't and slid the ball low into the net from six yards.

Eight minutes after the break, Jim Duffy replaced lain Anderson who'd picked up a knock with Jonay Hernandez and the Venezuelan appeared very much at home in a midfield role.

On the hour, Steve Lovell came close as he burst down the left and fired in a cross that came off McGuire and looped inches over with the keeper struggling. Dundee hit the woodwork a minute later as Barrett challenged for Fotheringham's free kick, and the loose ball came off McGuire again and keeper Preece fumbled it onto the base of the post before gratefully gathering the rebound.

Ten minutes later, any prospect of Dundee winning this match disappeared as Mark Fotheringham clattered Heikkinen for an obvious second yellow and 'Fozzy' didn't even wait for the card to be shown, jogging off leaving his team-mates to try and hang on for a point.

Just a minute later that looked unlikely as Severin went down under Mann's challenge with Mr McCurry pointing to the penalty spot before noticing the linesman's flag up for offside and changing his decision.

Dundee badly needed a lift and it came with quarter of an hour to go, Caballero whipped off the tracksuit and stood waiting for play to stop so he could enter the fray, The Dundee support were giving it 'Hey Caballero' at full volume even before he even got as far as the pitch! John Sutton was the man to make way and Fabian's first involvement saw him cut in from the right and go past two challenges before being dragged down.

The home side were continually pushing forward though, and Dons substitute Pasquinelli had a golden opportunity when he rose to meet Adam's cross only to screw his header wide from a great position.

Dundee were now playing with just Caballero up front and in 82 minutes Jim Duffy made the next obvious substitution, taking off Lovell, and replacing him with a natural midfielder in Garry Brady.

There was to be one more scare with five minutes to go a Severin curled in a great ball only for McGuire to head past but Aberdeen couldn't find enough quality in their final ball to really trouble the outstanding central defensive partnership of Sancho and Mann.

So Dundee hung on and extended their undefeated run in the Granite City, which goes back to October 30th 1993. Although Fotheringham's red-card gave the home side the opportunity to end that run, they never really looked likely to do so.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at October 2nd, 2004)

2004-05 All Time
Derek Soutar (GK)23 9 - 10 -
Bobby Mann30 10 - 10 -
Stephen McNally - 2 - 4 -
Brent Sancho27 9 - 34 -
Barry Smith30 10 - 3584
Iain Anderson27 10116321
Neil Barrett22 7 - 201
Mark Fotheringham20 10 - 394
Steven Robb22 71362
Steve Lovell23 957126
John Sutton20 103103
Jonay Hernández (sub)25 81822
Garry Brady (sub)28 101872
Fabian Caballero (sub)26 1 - 11425

League Table (as at October 2nd, 2004)

No league table has been added for this season.