Aberdeen 0
Dundee 0
Scottish Cup (3rd Round)


0 - 0


Scottish Cup (3rd Round)
Saturday, January 10th, 2004
Pittodrie Stadium
Attendance: 11,012
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
1. David Preece
15. Kevin Rutkiewicz
5. Russell Anderson
24. Scott Morrison
29. Markus Heikkinen
27. Alexander Diamond
8. Steve Tosh
14. Chris Clark
7. Leigh Hinds
18. Richard Foster
9. Scott Booth
Julian Speroni .1
Jonay Hernández .16
David Mackay .3
Lee Wilkie .6
Barry Smith .2
Lee Mair .19
Garry Brady .26
Steven Robb .21
Mark Fotheringham .30
Duncan McLean
Nacho Novo .17

23. Ryan Esson
6. Philip McGuire
22. Scott Muirhead
19. David Zdrilic
10. Paul Sheerin
Derek Soutar .22
Brent Sancho .18
Callum MacDonald .27
Dougie Cameron .34
Neil Jablonski .24

Scott Muirhead for Richard Foster (53)
David Zdrilic for Leigh Hinds (64)
Paul Sheerin for Markus Heikkinen (78)
Brent Sancho for Duncan McLean (66)
Neil Jablonski for Nacho Novo (88)

Markus Heikkinen (65) Barry Smith (26)
Mark Fotheringham (45)
Duncan McLean (50)
Mark Fotheringham (53)
Steven Robb (60)

Red Cards
None. Mark Fotheringham (53)

Match Officials

John Underhill (Referee)

Match Report

Lee Mair hadn't trained for a week but insisted that he was fit to play against his hometown club and he returned to the centre of the defence. Mair replaced Brent Sancho, who had stepped in against Hearts in midweek, with the Trinidad international, who is also carrying an injury, taking a seat on the bench as the action started. Duffy reverted to the 4-3-3 formation which had swept the club all the way to Hampden last term, but it was a rather more inexperienced side than had faced Rangers on the sunny day in May who lined up at Aberdeen.

Only five of the cup final starting eleven featured at Pittodrie, but vitally the whole defence and 'minder' Barry Smith were those who had survived to set off on another cup campaign.

There was a healthy sized Dundee support inside the stadium at kick off time and they were behind the team as the Dark Blues started in lively fashion. Chances were rare in the early period, but Lee Wilkie should have done better than to head over from Robb's comer in 7 minutes, and another effort from the big central defender in 20 minutes was straight at Preece.

Eight minutes later, Dundee should have been ahead.

Fotheringham's through ball found Novo who feigned to drag the bail one way, before flicking it in the opposite direction to Duncan McLean. The midweek scorer had made a tremendous run into space and must have through he would double his top team tally as he advanced on the keeper, but as Preece committed himself the young striker dragged his shot wide of the target.

Two minutes later Dundee might have been punished for that miss as Speroni palmed a cross onto the head of Tosh. the midfielder's effort was goal-bound but Hernandez popped up to lash the ball clear.

Nine minutes before the interval Dundee had a penalty claim turned down when Robb was downed by a clumsy Morrison challenge.

Aberdeen had been little seen as an attacking force and the Dundee midfield were dominating, but as the break approached the home team came into the match.

It would have been a travesty if they had gone ahead, but that's what almost happened a minute before the break. Booth flicked to Hinds who found Foster, the youngster evaded Fotheringham's challenge and hit a low shot across goal and inches wide of the target.

Barry Smith had been booked in 26 minutes for a tackle on the edge of the Aberdeen box as referee John Underhill turned in a fussy performance, and Mark Fotheringham too saw yellow as he mis- timed a challenge on Clark just before the break.

They were followed into the referee's notepad by McLean in 50 minutes and Steven Robb who went looking for revenge after being brought down by Clark on the hour mark. By that point though Dundee had been reduced to ten men. Fotheringham got his marching orders as he dived in to try to block a Foster clearance. It was a clumsy challenge and the referee had little choice, but to send the midfield man to the dressing room. Dundee had picked up just four bookings in six matches in last season's tournament - here they picked up five in one match, and it was not in any way a dirty one.

In the circumstances, it might have been backs to the wall, but it was late on before Aberdeen managed to apply real pressure and Dundee looked as likely to score as the home side ever did. Novo's pace on the break continued to cause the Dons defence problems. Twice he was denied by fantastic tackles, firstly from Heikkinen and then with five minutes to go by Diamond. Just before that Diamond challenge, the little Spaniard had a snap-hot saved well by Preece.

The real story now though, was further back the park where Smith and Brady worked overtime to shut down in midfield and as time ran out Wilkie turned in an immense display, and defending under pressure, time and again got a head to the stream of high crosses from the Dons wide men. Lee Mair, alongside him, and full backs Hernandez and Mackay too did their share of the work as the home support urged their team to snatch a place in the next round. Dundee and the travelling support had different ideas and they held on after that flurry of pressure to force a Dens replay.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at January 10th, 2004)

2003-04 All Time
Julian Speroni (GK)24 26 - 93 -
Jonay Hernández24 20 - 571
Lee Mair23 241582
Barry Smith29 2613363
Lee Wilkie23 2631166
David Mackay22 24 - 852
Steven Robb21 2 - 14 -
Garry Brady27 23 - 561
Mark Fotheringham20 122122
Nacho Novo24 26156924
Duncan McLean20 5151
Brent Sancho (sub)26 10 - 10 -
Neil Jablonski (sub)20 3 - 5 -

League Table (as at January 10th, 2004)

No league table has been added for this season.