Falkirk 0
Dundee 0
League (Premier Division)


0 - 0


League (Premier Division)
Tuesday, April 21st, 1987
Brockville Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Unknown. Jocky Scott

Starting Eleven
Bobby Geddes .1
George McGeachie .2
Tosh McKinlay .3
Bobby Glennie .4
Jim Smith .5
Jim Duffy .6
Stuart Rafferty .7
John Brown .8
Rab Shannon .9
Tommy Coyne .10
Keith Wright .11

Jimmy Gilmour
Ian Angus .12
Alan Lawrence .14

Jimmy Gilmour for Ken Eadie (82) None.

None. Keith Wright (12)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Courier.

Falkirk were fighting for their Premier League lives on bumpy Brockville Park last night and their gutsy performance against Dundee earned them a point which could mean salvation.

The Bairns missed chances in the first half and then held off storming Dundee attacks in the second.

They put in some powerful attacks which raised hopes of victory but goals rarely looked likely in a battle between two sides who could not get the ball on target.

Dundee had a first minute chance when a McKinlay throw was headed across goal and ran well for Shannon. The Dens man fell, however, after colliding with Heatherston.

Falkirk battled strongly for every ball and Dundee found it difficult to settle despite the calming influence of John Brown, who used the ball well from midfield.

A promising McKinlay cross was headed clear by Kerr and in 12 minutes Wright was booked after a midfield foul.

Another McKinlay throw started a move which posed problems for Falkirk.

Coyne sent an overhead kick across goal and the attention of a couple of defenders was enough to put Rafferty off his shot and he sent the ball wide from eight yards.

There was trouble for Dundee when Stewart headed into the goal area where Geddes got a touch but could not hold the ball and Smith cleared for a corner.

Then Eadie chased a through ball but only managed to shoot against the advancing keeper.

The speedy Stewart showed great skill on the left touchline and crossed into the middle where Eadie disappointingly sent the ball over the bar from eight yards.

Stewart then popped up on the other wing to beat the offside trap and send over a cross which Geddes stretched to fingertip away.

Brown hit a low cross from the left and Kerr had to clear over his own bar as Coyne challenged.

It was a brief spell of Dundee pressure and Falkirk raced back into attack for Stewart to fire a shot just off target.

Keeper Marshall touched a Rafferty cross on to Brown whose return was directed over the bar by McKinlay.

Wright had a chance from 18 yards as Dundee came more into the game, but the youngster's shot lacked power and Marshall saved easily.

Stewart sent Eadie through and the centre's shot struck Geddes' legs and rebounded away from goal.

At the start of the second half, Duffy just managed to cut out a ball from Hetherston which looked likely to send Eadie clear before Dundee moved into attack.

Coyne was yards offside as a poor clearance from Marshall went to Brown. The linesman signalled but the referee waved play on and the danger for the Bairns was eased only when McKinlay fouled MacLeod in the corner of the penalty area.

Brown carried most threat for Dundee and he picked up a throw-in to hit a 20 yard left foot shot inches wide of Marshall's left hand post.

Dundee had much more control of the game this half and Glennie made another chance for Brown to bring his lethal left foot into action from 20 yards. This time the shot went high.

The home defence looked suspect for the first time in 67 minutes when McKinlay crossed and keeper Marshall stayed on his line. It was luck more than anything else that enabled the Bairns to scramble the ball away.

The home side were showing signs of relegation jitters, getting rid of the ball too quickly and mis-hitting passes, while Dundee were able to play a more carefree and flowing game.

The home fans were on their feet hurling encouragement as their side put in a couple of frenzied attacks which produced nothing then young Keith Wright missed the best chance of the game when he was given a free header from a McKinlay cross and sent the ball wide from five yards.

With eight minutes to go Falkirk took off Ken Eadie and sent on Jimmy Gilmour who scored the winning goal on Saturday. But there was no fairy tale finish for them this time.

Falkirk: Marshall; MacLeod, Kerr, Baptie, Dempsey, Manley, McGivern, Heatherston, Eadie, Nicol, Stewart. Subs: Gilmour, McCormack.

Dundee: Geddes; McGeachie, McKinlay, Glennie. Smith, Duffy, Raf ferty, Brown, Shannon, Coyne, Wright. Subs:Angus, Lawrence.

Referee-George Cumming, Carluke,

Squad Statistics (as at April 21st, 1987)

1986-87 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)26 51 - 211 -
Tosh McKinlay22 3821538
Rab Shannon21 475967
George McGeachie28 29 - 2719
Jim Smith25 4612117
Jim Duffy27 482902
Bobby Glennie29 21 - 3616
Stuart Rafferty26 41311911
John Brown - 361211035
Tommy Coyne24 24112411
Keith Wright21 227227

League Table (as at April 21st, 1987)

No league table has been added for this season.