Dundee 6
St Mirren 3
League (Premier Division)

6 - 3
St Mirren 

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, December 13th, 1986
Dens Park
Attendance: 3,498
3:00 PM Kick-off

Jim Duffy (pen.) 
Keith Wright (12)
John Brown (16)
Graham Harvey (45)
Keith Wright (53)
Graham Harvey (84)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott
Peter Cormack

Starting Eleven
1. Bobby Geddes
2. Stewart Forsyth
3. Rab Shannon
4. Stuart Rafferty
5. Jim Smith
6. Jim Duffy
7. Tommy Coyne
8. John Brown
9. Graham Harvey
10. Ian Angus
11. Keith Wright

12. Colin Hendry
14. Vince Mennie

Colin Hendry for Keith Wright
Vince Mennie for John Brown (24)

None. Tony Fitzpatrick (73)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

W. P. Knowles (Inverness) (Referee)
A. Freeland (Aberdeen) & M. N. Edwards (Aberdeen) (Assistants)

Match Report

Right now, Dundee's displays at Dens Park mightn't be doing manager Jocky Scott's blood pressure any good-but as entertainment they hit the five star mark. Twenty-one goals in three successive home_games...unfortunately (for Dundee that is) NINE of them against and only four points out of six.

"It used to be Firhill for thrills, now surely it's Dens," said the manager afterwards.

Fair comment-as is the fact that it looked at one time more like "Dens for disaster" if you were a Dark Blues fan! No fewer than five goals up, yet pegged back to 5-3 at one point before reaching a final tally of 6-3 is no recipe for people of a nervous disposition.

With newcomers Tommy Coyne and Keith Wright joining Graeme Harvey up front, Dundee proved as penetrative as manager Scott had planned over the first 53 minutes with five goals.

But after that..The first goal, in 12 minutes, came via Harvey sending Forsyth racing up the right and angreat cross whipping over for Wright to head-flick the balln brilliantly out of Campbell Money's reach. His and his first goal for his new club a great start at home to a new career. Then John Brown went hurtling in on a great Wright cross following an equally great Coyne pass to bullet home the ball in 16 minutes, crashing head to head with Peter Godfrey in the process and having to go off seven minutes later with concussion, while Godfrey suffered a cut head.

Next it was Jim Duffy rapping home a penalty awarded when Money pulled down Wright as the lad was rounding him and, just on half-time, Graeme Harvey lobbing the keeper for No. 4.

When Coyne cut the ball back perfectly from the bye-line for Wright to crack home No. 5 in 53 minutes, the Dens chorus was in full song and everything was coming up roses.

Seventeen minutes later it was 5-3 via Clark, Lambert and Chalmers, Dundee were in almost complete disarray. Saints were moving like champions and some supporters were getting at the Dundee players.

Harvey sorted that out with No. 6 in 84 minutes but the key question-again-is, "what went wrong?"

"First half, our defence was tight on their attackers, our midfield gave their midfield no room and our strikers were right on top of their defence. Second half, we backed off in every department, let them into the game and suffered," was manager Scott's summing up.

"The damage was done early on, but it was a great thing to come back from 5-0 to 5-3," commented Saints' caretaker manager Peter Cormack.

Saints claimed Wright was offside before the penalty and Harvey offside before his first goal. The crowd was 3498, Mennie and Hendry went on for Brown and Wright for Dundee and Fitzpatrick had his name taken for passing comments in 73 minutes, immediately after Money had been penalised for over-carrying the ball.

Tommy Coyne described him self as "fairly satisfied" with his performance after his first game for Dundee against St Mirren on Saturday.

"What I'm hoping for is a run in the team," he said yesterday, adding, "and some goals."

He had no regrets about his spell with Dundee United, though he felt he didn't get the run of games to prove himself that he was hoping for at Dens. Talking about the transfer, manager Jocky Scott said he first approached United boss Jim McLean a month ago but, because the Hajduk Split tie was coming up and Iain Ferguson was ineligible, the approach was rejected.

"I tried again on Friday, he gave me a figure and I said OK," said manager Scott. That figure is reported to be £75,000.

"I talked to the player, he asked for the night to think it over and, on Saturday morning, agreed to join us. We got the signing papers through before the Saturday deadline.

"I honestly didn't think Jim McLean would allow him to come here, but I am delighted he has. There aren't many front players of Premier League standard about and available.

"Everyone here will have to battle for a place, but he could find himself more of a regular, which might be just what he needs.

"Having come from a club who play a different style he could take time to settle into our ways, but he should do it all right."

On Wright, he again made the point that he was one for the future, adding that he had been played on the left-wing to ease him into the Premier League though he is looked on as a striker. This, of course, was Wright's original position. Reason for his substitution in 79 minutes was that he was still a part-timer and had been feeling the pace of his first appearance from the start in the Premier League.

"He did very well, though," he added, making the point that Wright "attacks defenders."

The player starts as a full timer with Dundee today. Yesterday he said he was absolutely delighted with his first home game and the space he had found to work in.

"I am determined to repay the confi dence Dundee have shown in me," he remarked.

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at December 13th, 1986)

1986-87 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)26 27 - 187 -
Rab Shannon20 273765
Jim Duffy27 262682
Jim Smith25 26 - 1916
Stewart Forsyth25 171452
John Brown - 1769129
Stuart Rafferty25 1829610
Ian Angus - 245245
Graham Harvey24 25147125
Keith Wright21 2222
Tommy Coyne24 1 - 1 -
Vince Mennie (sub)22 14 - 282
Colin Hendry (sub)21 102403

League Table (as at December 13th, 1986)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Our last home game against Hamilton was identical to the match we played against Clydebank and it was a disaster of a game in terms that we again lost a two goal lead. The players were definitely affected in this game as a result of what happened against Clydebank and a number of them were a bit nervous especially after losing the lead and going behind.

Having said that we went to Parkhead last Saturday and in my opinion, we were the better team throughout the ninety minutes. I thought that we were unfortunate to lose and it was that man Maurice Johnston again who showed how important and also how deadly he can be for Celtic.

The players can take a lot of encouragement out of this game by the type of foot ball we played. We passed the ball well and maintained possession of the ball and generally looked a more confident side to that which took on Hamilton.

We will be looking for these same aspects in today's game and we will also be out there looking for two points. St. Mirren are going through a spell similar to ourselves where they are winning some games and losing others. They are also going through managerial a change which can often be unsettling within the club. If matches in previous sea sons are anything to go by, this should be a very good game today.

I would like to welcome Keith Wright to the Club after joining us from Raith Rovers. Keith was substitute last Saturday and for the short while he was on the pitch he showed some useful touches. He is only 21 and we have bought him with a view to the future.