Dundee United 4
Dundee 0
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd 

4 - 0


League (Premier Division)
Wednesday, April 3rd, 1985
Tannadice Park
Attendance: 15,167
7:30 PM Kick-off

Eamonn Bannon (22)
Paul Sturrock (77)
Alex Taylor (80)
Davie Dodds (87)

Team Managers
Jim McLean Archie Knox

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. Richard Gough
3. Maurice Malpas
4. Dave Beaumont
5. Paul Hegarty
6. Dave Narey
7. Eamonn Bannon
8. Alex Taylor
9. Billy Kirkwood
10. Paul Sturrock
11. Davie Dodds
Bobby Geddes .1
George McGeachie .2
Tosh McKinlay .3
John McCormack .4
Jim Smith .5
John Brown .6
Stewart Forsyth .7
Lex Richardson .8
Colin Hendry .9
Stuart Rafferty .10
Ray Stephen .11

12. Ralph Milne
14. John Reilly
Walker McCall .12
Albert Kidd .14

None. Walker McCall for Colin Hendry (60)
Albert Kidd for Lex Richardson (75)

None. Jim Smith (16)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Hugh Alexander (Kilmarnock) (Referee)
D. Massie (Aberdeen) & W. Marr (Arbroath) (Assistants)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Courier.

United won this Premier League derby game with astonishing ease at Tannadice Park last night. They were in control in the first half and simply rampant in the second.

On a night so important for Dundee, the Dens Parkers seldom threatened in attack and always looked ill at ease against slick United attacks.

This must have come close to being Dundee's worst show of the season, yet I wouldn't take anything away from the standard of the United performance.

They had their fans in raptures in a devastating second period which brought goals from Sturrock, Taylor and Dodds to add to Bannon's first-half effort.

It was a real tonic win for United as part of their build-up to the Scottish Cup semi-final against Aberdeen and a bad blow to Dundee's hopes of a U.E.F.A. Cup place.

Never a classic derby, but never much doubt about the outcome after Bannon's 20-minute score.

Last time they were at Tannadice it was Dundee who scored the four goals. United's four last night could have been even more.

United were on familiar lines, apart from the continued absence of John Holt, still unfit. Dundee, minus the suspended Bobby Glennie and Bobby Connor had Stewart Forsyth and Lex Richardson in their starting team.

After the usual preliminary sparring, and spate of free kicks, the first chance fell to Dundee in the fifth minute. Rafferty took a corner on the right, Brown headed on to Hendry, and the big fellow nodded over the bar from six yards out.

United's reply was quick, and almost deadly. Bannon slung over a cross from the left, and the diving Dodds saw his header hit the outside of the post and go behind.

Another Dundee attack in the tenth minute had their supporters gasping in anticipation. A square pass from Hendry found Forsyth. who tried a low shot. It went wide, but Stephen was very close to intercepting.

Straight away United went to the other end and Geddes had to save at the feet of Dodds.

It was give-and-take, with the fans now in full cry. McAlpine easily held a Hendry shot, Geddes had only to watch as a fierce drive from Beaumont went wide.

Smith became the game's first booking in 16 minutes for a tackle on Sturrock, who needed treatment.

So far there was little accuracy in the finishing and a long Rafferty cross found McCormack unmarked on the left only for the skipper to head well off the target.

But United found that accuracy in 22 minutes with a goal out of the blue. It started with a Malpas throw in to Hegarty. Dodds dummied his skipper's pass, and Sturrock was able to flick the ball to Bannon, who blasted in an "impossible" shot from near the byline. Dundee's defence were obviously expecting a cross.

Dens Park heads dropped a bit after this while United, gaining in confidence, were now pushing the ball about freely. Bannon tried one of his free kick "benders" from the edge of the box but was off target.

Then Sturrock, in the clear on the left, fired in a low cross which Smith was glad to divert past his own post. Things went a bit quiet for a spell on and off the field until

Brown burst into the game with a 35-yarder which whistled past McAlpine's post. A low shot from Sturrock at the other end had

Geddes making the first serious save of the match.

United remained in control. A hook shot from Dodds, in 42 minutes, eluded the diving Dundee keeper only to go past the far post.

In contrast Dundee found it difficult to press home any of their attacks. McCormack tried a shot from 25 yards but once again it was away off target.

United were soon looking dangerous again in the second half. Bannon had a shot blocked and Kirkwood found a way through to Geddes, who saved his effort.

Brown roused, then doused, Dundee's hopes with a fine run down the left, then an attempted cross which landed high in the crowd.

In 53 minutes United produced a fine move and a near goal. Bannon and Sturrock combined on the left, Taylor touched the ball on to Dodds, and he flicked it only inches wide.

Though Dundee kept plugging away, they seldom threatened. Walker McCall went on for Colin Hendry in 60 minutes.

When Gough slipped in 65 minutes, Stephen's cross almost found McCall's head, but McAlpine came out to clutch the ball confidently.

United could have sewn it up just afterwards. Sturrock, unmarked on the left, took the ball to the byline, and then laid it on for Dodds three yards out. Amazingly Davie completely missed what should have been a tap in

The Dens keeper then brought off a great full length save from a Dodds header, after Hegarty had nodded on a Narey free kick.

The Tannadice lead should have been wider. As long as only one goal separated the teams it was still a game.

United put that right in 75 minutes. Sturrock raced past a hesitant McGeachie and scored number two with an accurate low shot into the corner of the net.

Kidd became Dundee's second sub, replacing Richardson, but Dundee couldn't stem this Tannadice tide.

In 78 minutes Taylor shot home the third goal from 12 yards. It was a move conceived by the brilliant Sturrock and Dodds.

Still the Tangerines weren't finished. Dodds scored a fourth goal four minutes from time, following a header from Gough.

By this time many Dundee fans were on the way home, while the home support celebrated.

Squad Statistics (as at April 3rd, 1985)

1984-85 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)24 16 - 113 -
John McCormack29 364364
Tosh McKinlay20 352835
Stewart Forsyth23 14 - 14 -
George McGeachie26 3712339
Jim Smith23 2411255
Lex Richardson26 221551
Stuart Rafferty24 383383
John Brown - 369369
Ray Stephen22 371016636
Colin Hendry19 2 - 6 -
Walker McCall (sub)31 2626621
Albert Kidd (sub)23 25312213

League Table (as at April 3rd, 1985)

No league table has been added for this season.