Dundee 1
Kilmarnock 1 (3-2 on pens)
League Cup (2nd Round)

1 - 1
(3-2 on pens.)

League Cup (2nd Round)
Wednesday, August 29th, 1984
Dens Park
Attendance: 3,367
7:30 PM Kick-off

John Brown (47)
Derrick McDicken (45)

Team Managers
Archie Knox
Jim Clunie

Starting Eleven
1. Tom Carson
2. George McGeachie
3. Tosh McKinlay
4. Stuart Rafferty
5. John McCormack
6. Bobby Glennie
7. Ray Stephen
8. John Brown
9. Walker McCall
10. Bobby Connor
11. Derek McWilliams
Alan McCulloch .1
Stuart McLean .2
Alan Robertson .3
Derrick McDicken .4
Paul Clarke .5
Robert Clark .6
Sam McGivern .7
Andy Brown .8
Scott Cuthbertson .9
Lawrie McKinna .10
Bobby McConville .11

12. Jim Smith
14. Albert Kidd
John McEachran .12
Lenny Lowe .14

Albert Kidd for Derek McWilliams

None. Scott Cuthbertson

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Alan Ferguson (Giffnock) (Referee)
T. Wilson (Bridge of Allan) & J. Kane (Broxburn) (Assistants)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Courier.

Dundee are through to the quarter final of the Skol Cup, but they did it the hard way against a Kilmarnock side who only got through to the third round after extra time and penalties against Alloa in the last round

Dundee without a doubt deserved to go through against a Killie side who stole the lead at half time through a Derek McDicken goal, having been under pressure throughout the first half.

Dundee equalised two minutes into the second half through John Brown and there the scoring stopped, but never the excitement.

This was easily the best per- formance I've seen from Dun- dee this season but despite their superiority they couldn't get enough goals to finish the tie against a plucky Kilmarnock side who battled all the way and kept the outcome in doubt throughout.

The tie, before a disappoint- ing crowd of only 3367, was worth watching and it took penalties to decide that Dundee were the winners.

The penalties went like this- McConville took Kilmarnock's first and shot over the bar. Albert Kidd scored for Dundee, then Tom Carson brought off a great save from Robert Clark, following which McCulloch made an equally good save from Ray Stephen.

Robertson then scored for Killie with McCall doing like- wise for Dundee. Carson then saved from Paul Clarke but was adjudged to have moved and Clarke scored from the retake.

John Brown then scored for Dundee and when Carson made another brilliant save from McGivern Dundee were through 3-2 on penalties.

Dundee went all out for a quick goal and Rafferty almost provided it after five minutes when he took a return pass from Stephen and fired the ball just past the near post.

Three minutes later a mistake by the Kilmarnock defence allowed Stephen in for a header and although he beat the keeper the ball finished in the side net.

It was a promising start from Dundee who were finding each other slickly and putting Kilmarnock under constant pressure.

Connor had a shot deflected just wide as Dundee continued to find their way into the visitors' penalty box. With 16 minutes gone Connor again had a chance, from a McCall flick, but McCulloch brought off a fine save.

Brown and Rafferty kept driving Dundee forward at every opportunity but in a Kilmarnock break Cuthbertson wasn't all that far away with a long-range effort to warn Dundee that they had to be careful.

In the Dark Blues' next attack McWilliams got over a good cross into the goalmouth but found no takers, then with 38 minutes gone, Dundee had reasonable claims for a penalty turned down when Rafferty was brought down in the box.

As so often happens, Killie broke away and Carson had to bring off a great save from Andy Brown to prevent them from taking a shock lead.

Dundee were soon back at the Kilmarnock goal, though, for Connor to hammer in a pile- driver on the volley from a McCall-made opening.

Then, just as it looked as though Dundee must go ahead-tragedy!

In the injury time allowed before the interval, Bobby Glennie handled the ball just outside the box. Andy Brown's quickly-taken free kick was rocketed into the net by McDicken.

Dundee got the goal in 47 minutes which they should have had much earlier.

John Brown cracked a left foot shot on the turn into the same corner of the net McDicken had found just before the interval.

This set Dundee going again and a minute later McCulloch did well to save from Connor. But Kilmarnock on the break again showed how dangerous they were when Paul Clark let go a long ranger from 40 yards which almost put his team in front again.

In 53 minutes Dundee had another fright when Cuthbert- son put McDicken through and the big fellow was unlucky to see his first shot blocked and his second rebound to safety.

But a minute later Dundee were right out of luck when from a McKinlay cross McCall headed back across the goal and Stephen's header beat the Kil- marnock keeper but hit, the underside of the bar and was then punched clear by McCulloch.

Killie were playing with more co.idence this half but Dundee still continued to dominate.

A bit of needle crept into the game and McKinlay and Cuthbertson were spoken to by the referee after a clash in midfield.

In 69 minutes Rafferty, who had hit the post in the first half, did the same again after great I work by Stephen and Dundee's luck continued to be out.

With nine minutes to go

Walker McCall had a great chance to sew it up for Dundee from a Glennie cross but from six yards headed straight at the keeper.

Three minutes later Stephen actually rounded the keeper and shot for the empty goal, but his shot was cleared off the line by a defender.

Squad Statistics (as at August 29th, 1984)

1984-85 All Time
Tom Carson (GK)25 4 - 4 -
Tosh McKinlay19 5 - 533
George McGeachie25 5 - 2018
Bobby Glennie26 5 - 2704
John McCormack29 5 - 5 -
John Brown - 4141
Stuart Rafferty23 5151
Bobby Connor24 5151
Derek McWilliams24 3 - 3 -
Walker McCall30 414420
Ray Stephen21 5313429
Albert Kidd (sub)22 5 - 10210

League Table (as at August 29th, 1984)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

We have another chance tonight to get our act together following the great disappointment of Saturday's setback against Dumbarton.

The start we've made to the Premier campaign has been nothing less than disastrous but this is not the time to press the panic button.

Instead, we will be concentrating on working and pulling together to try to regain the confidence and assurance that is missing from our play just now.

All of us here at Dens realise the importance of getting off to a good start and our failure to do just that has been a great disappointment to me, the players and of course the supporters.

There are players here at Dens who have suffered in the past because of bad starts and the precarious consequences and I'm convinced that we'll really see the best of them once the team is able to go about it's business in an assured and confident fashion.

Saturday was another example of the team losing goals and then struggling and at Boghead we were chasing the game from within two minutes of the start.

Our newcomers - as I've said before will be good players for this club but it is a hard enough job to settle into new surroundings and cope with new methods without having to give every team a goal of a start.

I'm certain that we would have won comfortably on Saturday had we not lost the first goal and although we've lost all three Premier League matches only by the odd goal, that is no excuse.

All good teams are built on solid defence-we'll be giving this our full attention-and I'm happy at our ability to go forward and make chances. But we need that extra confidence which seems to go out the window when we go a goal down.

The visit of Kilmarnock tonight presents this club with the great opportunity of getting to the quarter-final of one of the major competitions.

We'll be going about this game in a similar manner to when we played Hamilton and if we do our jobs right we should be in the draw.

It's important that we keep doing the things we believe to be right and although we're always learning about the best permutation, changes will continue to be made until we come up with the right answer.