Motherwell 2
Dundee 4
League (Premier Division)


2 - 4


League (Premier Division)
Wednesday, March 28th, 1984
Fir Park
Attendance: 1,828
7:30 PM Kick-off

Andy Harrow (35)
Stuart Rafferty (44)
Albert Kidd (57)
Ian MacDonald (58)
Tosh McKinlay (63)
Iain Ferguson (84)

Team Managers
Bobby Watson Archie Knox

Starting Eleven
1. Hugh Sproat
2. Andy Dornan
3. Kenny Lyall
4. Tom Boyd
5. Ian MacLeod
6. Graeme Forbes
7. Stuart Rafferty
8. Bernie Grant
9. Paul McFadden
10. Ian Alexander
11. Andy Harrow
Colin Kelly .1
Lex Richardson .2
Jim McInally .3
Cammy Fraser .4
Jim Smith .5
Ian MacDonald .6
Iain Ferguson .7
Albert Kidd .8
Walker McCall .9
Tosh McKinlay .10
Colin Harris .11

12. Stephen McBride
14. Alex Kennedy
Peter Mackie .12
Colin McGlashan .14

None. Peter Mackie for Colin Harris (46)

Ian MacLeod (53) Iain Ferguson (61)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

David Syme (Rutherglen) (Referee)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Courier.

A fighting comeback by Dundee at Fir Park last night turned impending defeat into a remarkable victory.

Down 2-0 at half-time, the Dens Parkers came out to score four times, three of the goals coming in a dramatic six minutes.

They completely shattered the home side and made their relegation almost certain.

I don't know what Archie Knox had to say to his players at half-time, but Dundee threw off their first-half shackles and carried on where they left off against Rangers and Celtic.

These two points certainly ease any relegation worries for Dundee.

They started well last night but sagged badly and allowed Motherwell to score twice, the second coming just on half-time. But it all came right for them later. Although this was no classy display in the funereal atmosphere of a 1828 crowd, full marks to Dundee for that four- goal recovery-scored by Kidd, MacDonald, McKinlay and Ferguson.

Dundee had a newcomer in their side. Earlier in the day they signed 20-year-old Jim McInally, a former youth internationalist, on a month's loan from Celtic.

The young full-back had a pleasing debut, and played his part in Dundee's fightback.

Dundee produced a great four-man move in the second minute which should have ended with a goal. Ferguson rose to Richardson's final cross from the right, only to head wide.

McInally's first touches of the ball showed his coolness and skills.

Motherwell posed little threat in the opening play. Kelly's only save was from a high cross from Dornan.

There was little for the sparse crowd to get excited about, although a Fraser cross in 16 minutes almost led to an own goal. MacLeod dummied the ball, which struck Dornan and trickled past the post with keeper Sproat struggling.

At the other end Harrow brought a home attack to a sudden end by handling the ball when he had the chance to shoot.

Dundee still looked the like- lier lot in attack. A neat move between Fraser and McKinlay on the left finished with a McKinlay cross which eluded three of his team-mates in front of goal.

It was a real shock when the goal came at the other end in 35 minutes. The move started with a clearance being intercepted, and when Dornan crossed from the right Harrow headed past Kelly for a well-taken goal.

With the Dens players still in a state of shock, Harrow almost did it again a minute later, his fierce shot going past Kelly's post. Motherwell, gaining in confidence and fighting hard, went further ahead a minute from the interval. Kelly could only parry a strong shot from Boyd and Rafferty nipped in to prod the ball home.

Dundee brought on Mackie for Harris at the start of the second half and looked much more menacing.

Sproat had to pull out a fine save from Ferguson in the opening minutes. MacLeod's attentions on McCall finally led to a booking for the Motherwell man in 53 minutes.

Four minutes later Dundee knocked one off the deficit with a great goal. The ball travelled slickly from Mackie to McCall to Kidd, who raced in and shot expertly into the corner of the net.

A minute later it was all square. Big MacDonald was the close-in scorer from a Mackie corner kick-and Dundee were back in business.

Ferguson became the game's second booking for a foul on Boyd as play hotted up.

A gift goal put the rampant Dens men in front in 63 minutes. Dornan placed a passback into the path of McKinlay, who scored into the empty net.

This was a real turnaround-three Dundee goals in six minutes had transformed the game.

A Ferguson overhead kick which almost deceived Sproat and a deflected Kidd shot emphasised the new approach of Dundee.

McKinlay followed with a tremendous shot which hit Mac- Leod near the post and deflected for a corner.

McKinlay again-he had a fine game-put in a flying header from a Mackie cross but unfortunately straight into Sproat's arms.

But Ferguson made no mistake in 84 minutes with the shot of the game-a thundering 25- yarder which flew past Sproat for a brilliant fourth goal.

Squad Statistics (as at March 28th, 1984)

1983-84 All Time
Colin Kelly (GK)22 15 - 53 -
Tosh McKinlay19 362372
Jim Smith22 321904
Cammy Fraser26 35415122
Ian MacDonald30 244847
Jim McInally20 1 - 1 -
Lex Richardson25 23 - 23 -
Walker McCall29 31173117
Iain Ferguson21 361613752
Colin Harris23 7171
Albert Kidd22 2638610
Peter Mackie (sub)26 32418123

League Table (as at March 28th, 1984)

No league table has been added for this season.