Dundee 3
Celtic 2
League (Premier Division)

3 - 2

League (Premier Division)
Tuesday, March 20th, 1984
Dens Park
Attendance: 7,746
7:30 PM Kick-off

Walker McCall (50)
Ray Stephen (56)
Walker McCall (77)
Tommy Burns (44)
Mark Reid (pen.) (83)

Team Managers
Archie Knox
David Hay

Starting Eleven
1. Colin Kelly
2. George McGeachie
3. Tosh McKinlay
4. Cammy Fraser
5. Jim Smith
6. Ian MacDonald
7. Albert Kidd
8. Iain Ferguson
9. Walker McCall
10. Lex Richardson
11. Ray Stephen
Pat Bonner .1
Danny McGrain .2
Mark Reid .3
Roy Aitken .4
Tom McAdam .5
Murdo MacLeod .6
Davie Provan .7
Paul McStay .8
Frank McGarvey .9
Tommy Burns .10
Brian McClair .11

12. Colin Harris
14. Peter Mackie
Graeme Sinclair .12
Jim Melrose .14

Colin Harris for Cammy Fraser (46)
Peter Mackie for George McGeachie (80)
Jim Melrose for Frank McGarvey (75)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

J. Duncan (Gorebridge) (Referee)
D. Petrie (Aberdeen) & A. Wilson (Rosyth) (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee pulled off a tremendous league win at Dens Park last night to add to their equally impressive result at Ibrox on Saturday.

In the space of three days Dundee have ousted Rangers from the Scottish Cup, and beaten high-flying Celtic in the league-great stuff.

Full marks to Archie Knox's men for their tenacity. They lost a sickener of a goal on the stroke of half time, but fought back magnificently in the second half to lead 3-1.

Though Celtic narrowed the gap from the penalty spot, Dundee finished worthy winners in a game that had no dull moments for the 7746 crowd, which included the Rapid Vienna team.

This was a great team effort by the Dens men, for whom Walker McCall scored a double in the second, half. But it was a bad night and a bad result for Celtic, whose championship challenge suffered a crucial blow.

Dundee brought back McGeachie and McKinlay after suspension. Mackie and Harris, who played at Ibrox on Saturday, were on the bench.

The home side started off with great gusto and some good moves. McCall took a McKinlay cross and first timed his shot past the post.

More home attacks followed, and Aitken was happy to put a McCall cross over for a corner. McCall again, from the other wing, forced Bonner to dive forward and hold his low cross.

Celtic were given little chance to settle in this furious opening burst, but around the 15 minute mark things began to get busy around the Dundee goal, and Kelly had to punch out a Burns corner kick, followed by a timely tackle by Smith to keep out McGarvey,

But Dundee, still more threatening, missed a good chance in 18 minutes. Fraser put McGeachie away on the right, and from his cross Ferguson headed rather tamely into Bonner's arms.

Stephen also had a go a few minutes later but Bonner dived to save his weak shot.

Celtic's closest so far came in 25 minutes when Burns crossed to the far post. Provan collected and shot hard across goal. Fortunately for Dundee Smith diverted the ball for a corner, with Kelly beaten.

Strong running by Burns, a good pass by McGarvey and McClair was left with a chance to score but his shot went well wide. Burns himself did much better just afterwards with a shot only inches too high.

This was turning into a wide-open entertaining game, with both teams attacking. MacDonald and Richardson opened up the Celtic defence for Kidd to shoot fiercely but off target-another chance gone. Just on half time came the breakthrough, and it was Celtic who scored. Burns shot, it was blocked, and the ball came back to him. Again he shot, again the ball came back off a defender and at the third attempt Burns was able to stroke the ball past Kelly. It was a bad blow for the home team, coming at the worst possible time.

At the restart Dundee brought on Harris for skipper Fraser, who hadn't looked 100 per cent fit. McGeachie and Richardson switched roles, Richardson going to full back.

Harris was soon involved in Dundee's equaliser in 50 minutes, He took a short free kick from Ferguson, and shot low and hard from the right. Bonner fumbled the ball, and McCall dashed in to score from close in.

Just the tonic Dundee needed, and the game was alight once more. Another shot from Harris, went straight to Bonner, who had two attempts before clutching cleanly.

In 56 minutes, amid tremendous roars from home fans, Dundee snatched the lead. It was well conceived by McKinlay's forward pass, and brilliantly finished by Stephen, who coolly lobbed the ball over the advancing Bonner, and in via a post.

Celts were stung into retaliation, and the home defence had some sticky moments. McClair gave Kelly no trouble from a Provan cross-though he should have. Dundee, battling hard, were being pushed back at this stage, and Provan almost got through after beating three men.

When Burns crossed from the left in 71 minutes McStay's flashing header missed by a whisker. Celts also had a penalty claim turned down, quite rightly, for a clean Richardson tackle on Provan.

With 15 minutes left Melrose replaced McGarvey as Celtic tried desperately to pull this game out of the fire. But it was Dundee who scored again, with another McCall goal in 77 minutes. Stephen flicked the ball forward, and McCall hooked it past Bonner in a slick move that completely caught out the opposition.

In the red hot atmosphere the referee paid a call on the Dundee dug-out for a conversation.

Mackie came on for McGeachie in 80 minutes-and Celtic quickly knocked one off their deficit. Smith rashly brought down sub Melrose in full flight and Reid belted home the penalty kick.

Tension was high to the final whistle, but Dundee held out comfortably for a notable and well deserved victory,

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at March 20th, 1984)

1983-84 All Time
Colin Kelly (GK)22 14 - 52 -
Tosh McKinlay19 351361
Jim Smith22 311894
George McGeachie25 24 - 1878
Ian MacDonald30 233836
Lex Richardson25 22 - 22 -
Cammy Fraser26 34415022
Ray Stephen21 31412726
Albert Kidd22 252859
Walker McCall29 30173017
Iain Ferguson21 351513651
Peter Mackie (sub)26 31418023
Colin Harris (sub)23 6161

League Table (as at March 20th, 1984)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

This club received a great boost on Saturday when we beat Rangers and qualified for the Scottish Cup semi-finals and naturally I'm as pleased as anyone at the way we achieved that result.

But now we all must look to the absolutely vital business of collecting points to improve our Premier League position.

Getting to the Scottish Cup semi-finals is obviously a good thing to happen to any club and I'm hoping Saturday will act as a spur here at Dens.

I've said more than once that one outstanding result can give this club a real lift and I'm hoping that's the way it works out after Saturday.

I have no doubts whatsoever that over the two games we deserved to go through, and I was pleased with the attitude and application showed by the players in both matches.

One lesson I've learned in this game is that if you work hard and put enough effort into the task in hand you will begin to create your own luck.

Being in the last four of the Cup has the great effect of prolonging the season for the right kind of reasons and when you consider our suspension and injury situation on Saturday and indeed the way the scoring went - our 3-2 win was really quite an achievement.

The two midfield players asked to perform at full back certainly carried out the job the right way. I've said all along that players must learn to con tribute in other positions and Saturday was a classic example of what I'm looking for in this direction. This can give us more strings to our bow even if only in emergencies - and that can be no bad thing.

It'll be a good thing for the players to have a team like Celtic at Dens for tonight... as both sides have every thing to play for and this should add up to a right good game.

Celtic have succeeded in getting back on the rails of late and with Davie Provan back in harness they are now in the very good position going for League and Scottish Cup glory as well as maintaining their challenge for the Premier title.

It's the sort of game that players should be looking forward to and the fans should certainly be in for a good night's football.