Hibernian 3
Dundee 1
League (Premier Division)


3 - 1


League (Premier Division)
Wednesday, February 29th, 1984
Easter Road
Attendance: 10,000
3:00 PM Kick-off

Paul Kane (28)
Willie Jamieson (34)
Willie Irvine (Pen.) (49)
Walker McCall (20)

Team Managers
Unknown. Archie Knox

Starting Eleven
1. Robin Rae
2. Kevin McKee
3. Erich Schaedler
4. Alan Sneddon
5. Gordon Rae
6. Brian Rice
7. Paul Kane
8. Willie Jamieson
9. Willie Irvine
10. Stuart Turnbull
11. Arthur Duncan
Colin Kelly .1
George McGeachie .2
Bobby Glennie .3
Cammy Fraser .4
Jim Smith .5
Ian MacDonald .6
Rab Shannon .7
Iain Ferguson .8
Walker McCall .9
Colin Harris .10
Tosh McKinlay .11

12. Ralph Callachan
14. Graham Harvey
Colin McGlashan .12
Peter Mackie .14

Ralph Callachan for Arthur Duncan (80) Peter Mackie for Jim Smith (60)

None. George McGeachie (15)
Ian MacDonald (30)

Red Cards
None. George McGeachie (33)
Tosh McKinlay (40)

Match Officials

H. Alexander (Kilmarnock) (Referee)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Courier .

A game which started off full of promise for Dundee turned to disaster in six dramatic minutes at Easter Road last night.

In this spell they lost two goals and had George McGeachie ordered off. All their earlier good work. which included a fine opening goal from Walker McCall, was wasted.

An early penalty goal for Hibs in the second half sealed the points for the home side. Give Dundee their due, they battled hard all the way, even when outnumbered. But they had little chance after losing McGeachie and a goal in the same minute.

The estimated 10,000 home-spectators saw their team win their first game since December 10, when they last beat Dundee.

They also saw a hard, sometimes too-teethy game, with plenty of incident-and all for free, for no one paid last night-except, perhaps, this Dundee team, who seemed to have things under control until they paid a heavy price during these six momentous minutes.

McKinlay had a chance for Dundee in only three minutes. He.tried to fasten on to a cross from the right, could have been impeded at the crucial moment and missed. Ferguson followed with a fierce shot which was blocked, the diving keeper not knowing much about it.

This was an encouraging start by the Dens side. Both teams put plenty of bite into their play. McGeachie was the first booking in 15 minutes for a tackle on McKee.

It took Hibs 17 minutes to show any threat. A neat bit of work by Irvine gave him the chance to hammer a shot straight at Kelly.

In 20 minutes Dundee went ahead with a fine goal. A clever overhead flick by Ferguson spreadeagled the home defence and gave McCall à clear run through. The big striker's low shot went in off Rae's post.

The desperate home team hit back eight minutes later. Sneddon crossed from the right, keeper Kelly and Irvine clashed as they went for the ball, which broke out to Kane. He promptly shot into the empty net for Hibs' first goal in six matches.

Just afterwards, MacDonald became Dundee's second booking for a tackle on Irvine.

Worse was to follow for the visitors. McGeachie brought down Jamieson and having been booked earlier was ordered off in 33 minutes.

From the free-kick, taken by Irvine, Jamieson gave Hibs the lead with a tremendous header.

Dundee's hopes had been shattered in the space of a few minutes.

However, a run and shot by Ferguson, and another shot from Fraser showed that their fighting spirit wasn't subdued. This was true of the tackling also, and Gordon Rae of Hibs was booked for a foul on McKinlay.

Irvine and Duncan combined well for Hibs at the restart, but Kelly saved Duncan's weak shot.

In 49 minutes it was 3-1 for Hibs after a Glennie tackle on Irvine brought the home side a penalty kick. McKinlay was booked for protesting before Irvine himself scored from the spot.

It looked hopeless now for Dundee's 10, though Ferguson burst through to shoot over the bar. At the other end Kelly was glad to turn an angled shot from Irvine over the top.

Still Dundee fought on. Keeper Rae had to dive forward and clutch a difficult cross from Smith, who was replaced by McGlashan soon afterwards.

Hibs had their chances. Irvine was within inches of adding to his penalty goal in one of their attacks.

Still, the best shot and the best save came when Dundee's Ferguson hit a thunderbolt effort at the home keeper in 72 minutes.

Harris, too, went close to hooking the ball in and, surprisingly, the visitors had most of the pressure in the closing stages.

Before the end Hibs brought on Callachan for Duncan with 10 minutes left.

Squad Statistics (as at February 29th, 1984)

1983-84 All Time
Colin Kelly (GK)22 10 - 48 -
Jim Smith22 27 - 853
George McGeachie25 22 - 1858
Rab Shannon17 2 - 2 -
Bobby Glennie26 2622544
Tosh McKinlay19 321331
Ian MacDonald30 193796
Cammy Fraser26 30414622
Colin Harris23 2121
Iain Ferguson21 311213248
Walker McCall29 26152615
Peter Mackie (sub)26 29417823

League Table (as at February 29th, 1984)

No league table has been added for this season.