Aberdeen 5
Dundee 2
League (Premier Division)


5 - 2


League (Premier Division)
Saturday, December 31st, 1983
Pittodrie Stadium
Attendance: 19,000
3:00 PM Kick-off

Tosh McKinlay (O.G.) (4)
Gordon Strachan (23)
Peter Weir (63)
John Hewitt (68)
Gordon Strachan (pen.) (79)
Peter Mackie (85)
Iain Ferguson (88)

Team Managers
Alex Ferguson Archie Knox

Starting Eleven
1. Jim Leighton
2. Stewart McKimmie
3. John McMaster
4. Ian Angus
5. Doug Rougvie
6. Willie Miller
7. Gordon Strachan
8. John Hewitt
9. Eric Black
10. Dougie Bell
11. Peter Weir
Bobby Geddes .1
Bobby Glennie .2
Tosh McKinlay .3
Cammy Fraser .4
Jim Smith .5
Ian MacDonald .6
Peter Mackie .7
Lex Richardson .8
Iain Ferguson .9
Walker McCall .10
Andy Geddes .11

12. Tommy McIntyre
14. Ian Porteus
Albert Kidd .12
Derek Paterson .14

Tommy McIntyre for Willie Miller (65) Derek Paterson for Andy Geddes (63)
Albert Kidd for Lex Richardson (72)

None. Andy Geddes (31)
Cammy Fraser (52)
Peter Mackie (80)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Tony Muirhead (Stenhousemuir) replaced by W. Johnston (39 mins) (Referee)

Match Report

Newspaper extract from The Sporting Post.

Bobby Glennie returns for Dundee in place of George McGeachie. Young Derek Paterson is on the bench.

Aberdeen make three changes with Ian. Angus and John McMaster coming in for the suspended Neil Simpson and the injured Alex McLeish.

Mark McGhee is missing with a stomach upset and both Hewitt and Black play.

Andy Geddes is spoken to by the ref for sending Strachan tumbling over the touchline. Tragedy strikes Dundee in four minutes.

A Weir cross to the back post looks like providing easy meat for the defenders, but the ball hits young McKINLAY and bounces into the net.

A Weir shot is half smoth- ered by Geddes and Bell blasts the loose ball across the face of the goal.

Geddes again is called into action in eight minutes when he has to hold a long range effort from Bell.

An attempted Ferguson cross is half blocked by McKimmie and although the Dundee player gets the rebound, Miller is on hand.

Dundee are fighting back and some of their tackling is fierce with referee Muirhead being extremely lenient.

Midway through the half Dundee go further behind.

STRACHAN picks the ball up on the 18-yard line and spotting Geddes of his line blasts low into the corner of the net for an opportunist goal.

Strachan cheekily attempts to beat Geddes from all of 35 yards but his effort is just over.

Play is halted in 26 minutes for Fraser to receive treat- ment for an ankle knock. Weir has a try from 20 yards which Geddes does well to take low to his right.

In 31 minutes Andy Geddes Is booked for his umpteenth foul on Strachan. Referee Muirhead is limping heavily and pays a visit to the dug-out.

A neat Strachan pass finds McKimmie just inside the box. The youngster cuts the ball back for. Strachan whose powerful shot strikes a defender and bounces tantalisingly across the face of the goal.

With six minutes of the half remaining the limping referee leaves the field with his senior linesman W. Johnston taking over and a substitute linesman coming down from the stand.

Andy Geddes snakes his way across the face of the Dons box and tries a shot which Leighton does extremely well to save.

With a minute and a half remaining Geddes again offers Dundee some hope with a 22-yard free kick which flies just wide.

A McCall pass drops nicely for Fraser but his control lets him down.

Half-time-Aberdeen 2, Dundee 0.

Reflections-Dundee's suicidal generosity at the back is costing them dear and the fact that it took 44 minutes for Leighton to have to make his first save sums up the half perfectly.

Dundee almost go three behind soon after the break but to their relief Black's close-range shot goes over.

In 52 minutes Fraser is booked for a foul on Strachan.

Hewitt finds himself in possession, back to goal and only seven yards out, but for all his twisting and turning Smith sticks like glue and clears.

Weir's in-swinging kick finds the head of Miller but the ball sails over.

In 56 minutes Richardson has a crack from 20 yards, but to Dundee's disappointment Leighton dives low to his right to parry the ball.

In 63 minutes Aberdeen go three up.

A Strachan pass to Black is backheeled by the youngster into the path of Aberdeen's midfield maestro.

Strachan moves into the box only to see his powerful shot parried by Geddes. WEIR, standing unattended, nets the rebound.

Dundee immediately switch Paterson for Andy Geddes, to give the youngster his first taste of Premier League football.

To the surprise of the Aberdeen fans Willie Miller goes off to be replaced by McIntyre.

In 68 minutes Aberdeen go four ahead. A Weir cut-back finds Angus whose shot bounces back off the chest of Bobby Geddes to HEWITT who forces it into the back of the net off the body of Geddes.

Kidd comes on for Richardson.

Mackie is booked for a foul on Black before Aberdeen go five ahead 11 minutes from time.

A high ball into the box finds Bell who is promptly brought down by McKinlay.

The substitute referee has no option but to award a spot kick and STRACHAN blasts the ball high into the net. MACKIE and FERGUSON grabbed two late goals for Dundee.

Final-Aberdeen 5, Dundee 2.

Summing up-Dundee's year ends on a sour note sustaining a real thumping and three bookings. Despite their two late strikes they were never in it.

Squad Statistics (as at December 31st, 1983)

1983-84 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)23 18 - 86 -
Andy Geddes24 132359
Bobby Glennie26 2012483
Tosh McKinlay19 261271
Jim Smith22 21 - 793
Lex Richardson25 15 - 15 -
Peter Mackie25 23417223
Cammy Fraser26 24314021
Ian MacDonald30 163766
Walker McCall29 23112311
Iain Ferguson21 251012646
Derek Paterson (sub) - 1 - 1 -
Albert Kidd (sub)22 171778

League Table (as at December 31st, 1983)

No league table has been added for this season.