Dundee 1
Aberdeen 2
League Cup (Group 3)

1 - 2

League Cup (Group 3)
Wednesday, November 30th, 1983
Dens Park
Attendance: 11,019
7:30 PM Kick-off

Cammy Fraser (62)
Mark McGhee (19)
Doug Bell (52)

Team Managers
Donald Mackay
Alex Ferguson

Starting Eleven
1. Bobby Geddes
2. Stewart McKimmie
3. Tosh McKinlay
4. Cammy Fraser
5. Jim Smith
6. Bobby Glennie
7. Peter Mackie
8. Andy Geddes
9. Iain Ferguson
10. Walker McCall
11. Ray Stephen
Jim Leighton .1
Neale Cooper .2
Doug Rougvie .3
Neil Simpson .4
Alex McLeish .5
Willie Miller .6
Gordon Strachan .7
John Hewitt .8
Mark McGhee .9
Doug Bell .10
Peter Weir .11

12. Colin McGlashan
14. Albert Kidd
John McMaster .12
Willie Falconer .14

Albert Kidd for Bobby Geddes (51)
Colin McGlashan for Andy Geddes (75)
John McMaster for John Hewitt (72)
Willie Falconer for Gordon Strachan (88)

Andy Geddes (55)
Neale Cooper (51)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Hugh Young (Larkhill) (Referee)
W. Laidlaw (Edinburgh) & T. Mathews (Glenrothes) (Assistants)

Match Report

After 90 minutes of cup-tie action, drama and controversy at Dens Park last night Aberdeen are into the semi-final of the League Cup.

For the home side the Dons' goals were sheer heartbreak. The first came from an error by keeper Bobby Geddes, the second brought uproar, for a linesman clearly flagged for offside then apparently changed his mind.

To compound the misery, Dundee lost keeper Bobby Geddes just a minute before the second goal with a serious mouth injury which landed him in hospital.

Later in the second half Aberdeen also lost a player, John Hewitt being stretchered off and later having four stitches inserted in a leg wound.

Yes, this was an eventful tie from start to finish, lacking the finer touches maybe, but keeping the crowd on their toes all the way.

If the smoother stuff came from the visitors, especially in the first half, Dundee deserve full credit for their fighting qualities especially when they lost their keeper-and some sympathy as well for their bad breaks.

Even when 2-0 down they never gave up and Fraser scored to keep interest alive to the end.

This game was sponsored by Kolfor Plant Limited, who presented special prizes at full-time to the best players in each team. The awards went to McKinlay (Dundee) and Cooper (Aberdeen).

Andy Geddes took over from the ineligible Richardson in the home line-up. Aberdeen were unchanged.

The game had a stuttery start with a bad tackle by Geddes on Strachan in the first minute. It brought the Dundee midfield man a warning, and the trainer on to the field to Strachan, who resumed limping.

First chance went to Bell in three minutes. From a Cooper cross the Don headed well over.

Early play was frantic. Following a Mackie cross Stephen laid on the ball for Geddes to balloon his shot in Dundee's first attack. Aberdeen were looking more menacing. They worked well together before a Hewitt shot brought out a great diving save from keeper Geddes. A few minutes later Bobby had to dive to save well from a McGhee shot.

Then in 19 minutes Aberdeen went ahead with a strange goal after a good move.

Strachan, in fine fettle again, made a lot of ground before parting perfectly to McGhee on the right. The centre shot strongly from an angle, completely catching out Bobby Geddes. The keeper dived forward near the post, clutched the ball, then parried it over the line.

Dundee buzzed around Leighton for a spell and from a Fraser corner McCall's header beat the keeper, only for Bell to clear from near the goal line in the 26th minute.

Aberdeen's reply was another thrust by Strachan and a fierce shot which Bobby Geddes beat down.

Dundee were showing no lack of effort though their shooting was enthusiastic rather than accurate. Leighton just had to watch a Ferguson mishit go wide of the post.

Mackie followed by wasting a fine chance in 35 minutes. Taking a Ferguson pass, he also shot wide from good position.

But it could so easily have been 2-0 three minutes before half time. McGhee rose to a cross from Rougvie, beating Geddes to the jump then heading strongly just past the post.

Dundee resumed with gusto, Ferguson racing clear on the right before sending his low cross too near the keeper.

In 51 minutes disaster hit the Dundee team. Cooper went in heavily on Geddes and was booked. But the keeper had to be taken off with a mouth injury and, no sooner had Stephen donned the goalkeeping jersey than he was beaten by a 25-yard Bell shot.

There was uproar because the stand linesman put his flag up then hauled it down again. Furious Dundee protests forced the ref to have a word with the linesman but the goal stood and Aberdeen were well on their way.

Dundee had finally to bring on Kidd as sub for Bobby Geddes but were clearly upset. Andy Geddes got himself booked for a rash tackle.

Still Dundee didn't give up and McCall went close from Mackie cross in 60 minutes. shot home

Two minutes later Dundee bonnets were up as Fraser strongly from close range following a free kick from McKinlay.

The action continued to be red hot, with the trainers kept busy. Leighton dived desperately at Mackie's feet to save a certain goal and was injured.

Then, in 72 minutes, Aberdeen lost a player, John Hewitt going down after a long run and being stretchered off. McMaster was the substitute.

Dundee threw in their second sub McGlashan for Andy Geddes with 15 minutes left and from then to the end it was end to end stuff and escapes by both sides.

Substitute keeper Stephen did well to halt McGhee when the centre looked a cert to score. With a few minutes left Strachan was replaced by Falconer.

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at November 30th, 1983)

1983-84 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)23 13 - 81 -
Tosh McKinlay18 211221
Stewart McKimmie21 22 - 101 -
Jim Smith22 16 - 743
Andy Geddes24 91318
Bobby Glennie26 1612453
Cammy Fraser26 21313821
Peter Mackie25 18316822
Walker McCall29 18101810
Ray Stephen20 21111723
Iain Ferguson21 21912345
Colin McGlashan (sub)19 3 - 5 -
Albert Kidd (sub)22 131738

League Table (as at November 30th, 1983)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

I'm hoping we've learned a valuable lesson at Park head on Saturday which might stand us in good stead for tonight's 'all or nothing' League Cup section decider against Aberdeen.

Had we attacked Celtic more often, I'm convinced we would have at least brought home a share of the spoils. And if we can adopt this attitude when facing the Dons tonight in a match which should be an absolute cracker, then I'm sure our chances will be enhanced. We are all aware of the ins and outs of this game - only a victory will be of any use to us but you can rest assured that our players are keenly anticipating tonight's kick-off.

True, our record against the Dons here at Dens is disappointing to say the least but we did achieve a notable two leg triumph over our Pittodrie friends back in 1980 when we progressed to the League Cup final only to fail at the very last hurdle. Because of the reward awaiting the top team in our section, tonight's game must surely take on the appearance of an out and out cup-tie.

Certainly, a draw would suit Aberdeen but Alex Ferguson's men will bring a large following with them tonight and if I know Fergie there is no way he'll send his team out just to play for that result.

Hopefully, our victory over Motherwell has stopped all that talk of a Dens Park jinx. And here's hoping, too, that we can hit some of our recent form to give the Pittodrie outfit a real hard time and to reward ourselves with a money-spinning two-legged semi-final.