Aberdeen 3
Dundee 3
League Cup (Group 2)


3 - 3


League Cup (Group 2)
Saturday, August 14th, 1982
Pittodrie Stadium
Attendance: 9,002
3:00 PM Kick-off

Eric Black (30)
Eric Black (44)
Eric Black (85)
Iain Ferguson (43)
Iain Ferguson (pen.) (60)
Ray Stephen (80)

Team Managers
Alex Ferguson Donald Mackay

Starting Eleven
1. Jim Leighton
2. Stuart Kennedy
3. Doug Rougvie
4. Neale Cooper
5. Alex McLeish
6. Willie Miller
7. Gordon Strachan
8. Eric Black
9. Mark McGhee
10. Neil Simpson
11. Ian Angus
Alan Blair .1
Stewart McKimmie .2
Chic McLelland .3
Cammy Fraser .4
Ian MacDonald .5
Bobby Glennie .6
Iain Ferguson .7
George McGeachie .8
Eric Sinclair .9
Peter Mackie .10
Ray Stephen .11

12. Derek Hamilton
14. John Hewitt
Ian Fleming .12
Gerry Davidson .14

John Hewitt for Ian Angus (62) Gerry Davidson for Eric Sinclair (74)

Willie Miller (45) Ray Stephen (88)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

B. R. McGinlay (Balfron) (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee's injury problems have disappeared with the six players named by manager Donald Mackay as doubtful all playing.

Aberdeen drop record signing Peter Weir after their midweek draw at Greenock.

Aberdeen kick off and do the early pressing with McLelland and McGeachie having to clear dangerous crosses.

A congested midfield is contributing to a scrappy opening spell. In eight minutes Mackie floats over a dangerous cross and Kennedy is forced to conceed a corner.

Two minutes later the Dons almost take the lead when Simpson glances a McGhee cross just past.

A piece of Strachan magic takes him inside the six yard box but Glennie steps in. Blair has to look lively to hold a long-range Rougvie shot.

Dundeebare having to withstand tremendous Aberdeen pressure and Blair does well to hold another header.

Dundee appeals for a penalty when Stephen goes down are turned away.

Strachan unleashes a 25 yarder which goes just past. Blair is again in action in 20 minutes, rushing out to gather a loose ball with McGhee in close attendance. Almost immediately Leighton has to clear on the edge of his box.

On the half hour mark a Strachan corner is headed out by MacDonald. With Blair stranded BLACK heads back over the Dundee defence and into the net.

In 35 minutes Aberdeen again come close. McGhee cuts the ball back to Angus, who, from 25 yards out, hits just wide. Dundee come back.

A Mackie cross gets Leighton into difficulties. The ball falls to Fraser, but Kennedy clears off the line. Fraser regains possession and cuts back to Ferguson, but the Dundee man's powerful effort hits Miller. A low 30-yard Fraser drive after a free then goes just past.

Two minutes from the break Dundee pull level. A fraser free is headed out, but FERGUSON is on hand to lash home a glorious drive from 20 yards.

There is further drama. Aberdeen move upfield and get a free. Angus takes it and BLACK heads home.
Miller is then booked for talking out of turn.

Half-time Aberdeen 2, Dundee 1.

Reflections Dundee have fought back well, but Aberdeen are deservedly ahead.

In 47 minutes Blair scrambles across his box to touch a Cooper shot round for a corner.

Black almost completes his hat-trick two minutes later when he heads an Angus cross on to the bar. In the ensuing scramble the youn ster goes down but referee McGinley waves away appeals for a penalty. Dundee's response is a 25 yarder from Glennie, which Leighton has to watch carefully.

Mackie gets away on the right in 57 minutes and his cut back has to be cleared for a corner by Kennedy.

Sinclair gets a chance from that corner, but Leighton is out quickly to smother his shot.

McKimmie loses possession to McGhee and the striker puts Strachan in possession. The latter draws two defenders before shooting wide.

On the hour mark Dundee are awarded a penalty when Angus brings down Fraser inside the box.

Leighton gets his hands to FERGUSON'S kick but is unable to stop it from going in.

Angus almost makes amends, but his powerful 20 yard shot is parried well by Blair.

In 62 minutes Hewitt replaces Angus.

In 67 minutes Glennie nearly scores an own goal heading a Kennedy cross dangerously close to Blair's charge.

A Simpson cross is dropped by the Dundee 'keeper and there is a moment of panic before the danger is

A mistake by McKimmie in 71 minutes almost leads to a goal. Strachan tries to chip the advancing Blair, but Glennie gets his head in the way and blocks for a corner. McGhee jinks his way to the by-line a minute later and Glennie again does well to clear.

Davidson replaces Sinclair for Dundee.

Ten minutes from time, Dundee take the lead for the first time. Mackie gets away from Rougvie on the right and his deep cross to the far post is met by STEPHEN, who heads home.

With five minutes to go, Aberdeen equalise, with BLACK completing his hat trick, with a neat chip.

Dundee coach Jocky Scott is then spoken to by the ref and minutes from time Stephen is booked.

Final-Aberdeen 3, Dundee 3.

Summing-Up-Six goals can't be bad and Dundee must be satisfied with this point.

Match report written by The Sporting Post

Squad Statistics (as at August 14th, 1982)

1982-83 All Time
Alan Blair (GK)31 1 - 26 -
George McGeachie23 1 - 1338
Chic McLelland28 1 - 20 -
Bobby Glennie24 1 - 1952
Stewart McKimmie19 1 - 40 -
Peter Mackie24 1 - 10612
Cammy Fraser25 1 - 7513
Ian MacDonald28 1 - 243
Iain Ferguson20 126522
Ray Stephen19 115915
Eric Sinclair28 1 - 25487
Gerry Davidson (sub)21 1 - 14 -

League Table (as at August 14th, 1982)

No league table has been added for this season.