Dundee 1
Partick Thistle 2
League (Premier Division)

1 - 2

League (Premier Division)
Wednesday, April 21st, 1982
Dens Park
Attendance: 6,463
3:00 PM Kick-off

Eric Sinclair (45)
Donald Park (10)
Ian Jardine (75)

Team Managers
Donald Mackay
Peter Cormack

Starting Eleven
1. Bobby Geddes
2. Les Barr
3. Stewart McKimmie
4. Cammy Fraser
5. Jim Smith
6. Bobby Glennie
7. Iain Ferguson
8. Ray Stephen
9. Eric Sinclair
10. Brian Scrimgeour
11. Albert Kidd
Alan Rough .1
Dave McKinnon .2
John Lapsley .3
Brian Whittaker .4
Andy Dunlop .5
Kenny Watson .6
Donald Park .7
Ian Jardine .8
Maurice Johnston
Jamie Doyle .10
Alex O'Hara .11

12. Peter Mackie
14. Gerry Davidson
Ian McDonald .12
George Clark .14

Gerry Davidson for Brian Scrimgeour (74)
Peter Mackie for Iain Ferguson (80)
George Clark for Alex O'Hara (65)

Cammy Fraser (39)
Jim Smith (77)
Andy Dunlop (13)
Jamie Doyle (83)
George Clark (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

W. P. Knowles (Inverurie) (Referee)
P. Watson (Aberdeen) & D. Hannah (Cumbernauld) (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee lost a vitally important relegation battle at Dens Park last night. Instead of extending their four-point lead to six points, the Dens Parkers found their lead over the Fir Park club reduced to only two points and Thistle have a game in hand.

Dundee can have no complaints about the final result.

For the first 10 minutes they played really well but, after Donald Park had put Thistle in front the home side lost their rhythm and were very fortunate when Eric Sinclair gave them the kiss of life with the equaliser just on half-time.

Dundee were expected to improve on their first-half showing with the wind behind hem after the interval but, although they had plenty of the ball, they seldom looked like going ahead.

Thistle played well, at times much better than the home side, and got their winning goal with 15 minutes to go through Ian Jardine.

It came from a free kick which Bobby Geddes appeared to have in his hands but allowed to squirm into the net, and from then on, although Dundee battled right to the end, there was too much desperation about their play.

Gerry Davidson, however, almost gave them a face-saving point with a shot from 12 yards just on the final whistle, which was only inches wide.

A disappointing night for Dundee, but full marks to Thistle who, in my opinion, were slightly the better side on the night.

Dundee lost the toss and had to face a stiff breeze, and the slope, as they kicked off. But they started promisingly, and Smith almost put them ahead with a header from a Fraser free kick.

In ten minutes, however, with ominous signs that Partick Thistle were beginning to settle, Park put the visitors into the lead.

Doyle started it with a pass out to the overlapping Lapsley, whose low cross was first-timed by Park into the corner of the net from 22 yards.

Dundee's reply was to launch themselves upfield for Kidd to hit a powerful drive narrowly wide of the target. But that man Park almost scored for Thistle again two minutes later, when his snap shot from 20 yards forced Geddes to make a full length save to keep the ball out of the net.

With 13 minutes gone and both sides playing some good stuff, Thistle defender Dunlop was booked for his third foul on Sinclair.

Just after this, Rough had to come to Thistle's rescue with a fine save from McKimmie.

Despite the wind and the importance of the occasion, there was some good football on display but, unfortunately from Dundee's point of view, most of it was now coming from Thistle. The goal had given them confidence and caused Dundee to lose their rhythm.

O'Hara almost had another goal for Thistle in 34 minutes when he got his foot to a Johnston header, and the ball squirmed narrowly past.

Park, a constant tormentor of the Dundee defence, wasn't all that far away with a snap shot, and in 39 minutes Cammie Fraser became the second player to be booked for a bit of jersey-pulling on that elusive player.

Just on half-time, Sinclair came to Dundee's rescue with a goal which boosted their confidence for the second half.

Ferguson started it with a powerful run down the right, before crossing beyond the far post. Stephens headed the ball back into the goalmouth for Sinclair to prod the ball over the line.

It was all action on the resumption with Jardine hitting a free-kick too close for comfort.

Smith headed a Ferguson corner over the top, giving Thistle a fright, and Rough had to make a good save from a raking 35-yarder from McKimmie-all in the first five minutes.

But the tempo soon lagged and play became scrappy as both sides allowed touches of desperation to come into the play.

Johnston had a bad miss for Thistle when he shot over the bar from almost underneath it.

In 65 minutes Thistle brought on Clark for the injured O'Hara. Five minutes later, Whittaker was happy to concede a corner when a long ball through the middle from Smith had the visiting defence in a fankle.

Park had a shot deflected over the bar for the Jags, and Doyle hit the side net just before Dundee sent on Davidson for Scrimgeour.

He was scarcely on the park before Jardine put Thistle in front for the second time. Smith handled the ball 25 yards out and Jardine's low free-kick eluded Geddes at the near post, although the keeper appeared to have the ball in his hands first of all.

With 13 minutes to go, Smith became the third player to be booked for a foul on Whittaker, and with time running out Dundee sent on Mackie for Ferguson.

Dundee then had claims for a penalty turned down when Kidd's shot hit a defender.

With seven minutes to go Doyle became the fourth player to be booked for tripping Kidd, and two minutes later Clark joined him in the referee's book for a foul on McKimmie.

It was helter-skelter stuff now from both sides. Just on the final whistle Davidson had a chance to salvage at least a point for Dundee when he took a pass from Stephens 10 yards out, but his shot finished inches on the wrong side of the post.

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at April 21st, 1982)

1981-82 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)21 31 - 62 -
Les Barr29 24 - 1271
Bobby Glennie24 40 - 1902
Stewart McKimmie19 18 - 35 -
Brian Scrimgeour22 16 - 435
Jim Smith20 152152
Cammy Fraser24 3357012
Iain Ferguson19 35136019
Albert Kidd20 352352
Eric Sinclair28 27724987
Ray Stephen19 2765414
Peter Mackie (sub)24 35510212
Gerry Davidson (sub)21 2 - 11 -

League Table (as at April 21st, 1982)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

The first thing I would like to do this evening is thank our supporters for their tremendous support they gave the team against Rangers last week.

I have been quoted as criticizing Dundee supporters for not being patient and not supporting the team in the right way. But, by the backing and encouragement given to the boys last week, one would have thought there were 18,000 people in the ground, not 7,000. This gives tremendous support to the players and lifts them in no uncertain manner.

Our game this evening is equally important. The meeting with Partick Thistle is vital because, like our selves, they have had a very up-and down season but, as they have shown on numerous occasions, they are a side capable of upsetting the best in the country.

Our attitude this evening must be as it has been for recent games - to get 100 per cent. effort from every one. We have also shown that when we put things together we can take on the best.

I don't want to linger too long on last week's result against Rangers, but I do feel the boys deserve all the praise given them for their appli cation and purpose. I know our side has still a bit to go before we are in the clear, and this must be the aim of everyone at Dens Park.

This week has been hectic at the ground as all our young "S" signings and some trialists who are bidding to become Dundee stars of the future have been training with us. I can assure you standards are getting higher and higher as youngsters come through.

The boys, aged from under 13 to under 17, have been involved in seven games and the signs are encouraging.

This is one of the aspects of the Club the supporters will not be able to see for a few years, but it is a very important part of the policy for the future at Dens Park to groom players of the quality of Alex Hamilton, Bobby Cox, lan Ure and Alan Gilzean to wear the dark blue of Dundee.

Back to tonight's game. I think you all know how important this one will be for the Club. We are well aware of this and expect that every one will give 100 per cent. towards getting a result.

I am sure Thistle will be making the same effort.

Once again I ask our fans for their full support. Let is hear you. I hope you see a good game and that the result is right for Dundee Football Club.