Dundee 2
Hibernian 2
League (Premier Division)

2 - 2

League (Premier Division)
Saturday, March 20th, 1982
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,345
3:00 PM Kick-off

Cammy Fraser (19)
Ray Stephen (87)
Ralph Callachan (55)
Ralph Callachan (81)

Team Managers
Donald Mackay
Bertie Auld

Starting Eleven
1. Bobby Geddes
2. Stewart McKimmie
3. Danny Cameron
4. Cammy Fraser
5. Jim Smith
6. Bobby Glennie
7. Peter Mackie
8. Albert Kidd
9. Eric Sinclair
10. George McGeachie
11. Iain Ferguson
Jim McArthur .1
Alan Sneddon .2
Erich Schaedler .3
Jackie McNamara .4
Craig Paterson .5
Bobby Flavell .6
Ralph Callachan .7
Willie Murray .8
Ally MacLeod .9
Gordon Rae .10
Arthur Duncan .11

12. Ian Fleming
14. Ray Stephen
Billy McLaren .12
Brian Rice .14

Ian Fleming for Iain Ferguson (79)
Ray Stephen for Albert Kidd (83)
Bill McLaren for Ally MacLeod (56)
Ralph Callachan for Brian Rice (82)

Bobby Glennie (16)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

D. Galloway (Pitlessie) (Referee)
R. A. Bisset (Inverurie) & G. R. Stewart (Cumbernauld) (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee start shakily. In the first minute a short pass-back by Cameron almost lets Rae in.

A poor kick out by Geddes goes to Callachan, who punts it back, but it is just too far for Rae. A fierce drive from MacLeod brings a great diving save from Geddes in three minutes.

A good run by Cameron two minutes later sets up a chance for Sinclair, but his snap shot flies inches wide. Rae battles well to gain possession and his pass through to Callachan is inch perfect. The final shot lacks power.

A solo run by Kidd down the right causes all sorts of problems for Hibs, but Sinclair fires straight at McArthur.

In 12 minutes Ferguson runs down the right and crosses towards Mackie, but McArthur plucks it from his head.

Glennie is booked for handling when the ball is floated through by Callachan in 16 minutes. The free kick is wasted.

Cameron passes upfield to Kidd, who takes on the Hibs' defence, but shoots just wide from 35 vards.

FRASER opens the scoring for Dundee in 19 minutes. A scramble in the Hibs' box is only partially cleared and when the ball falls to his feet, he wastes no time in crashing it home from 30 yards.

In 25 minutes a Callachan free is curled into the box and Paterson heads just over.

Some great work by Mackie almost sets up number two for Dundee, but Sneddon just takes the ball away Sinclair from the waiting Sinclair.

Hibs are looking ragged and Dundee slowly start to get a grip of the game.

A free from Glennie from deep inside the Dundee half finds McGeachie on the edge of the box. His header lands at Ferguson's feet, whose volley shaves the post.

Hibs rally and Callachan collects the ball in midfield to bear down on the Dundee goal. His cross is met by Rae but the header is well saved by Geddes.

Mackie shows great control in 40 minutes when he brings down a high, swirling ball from Glennie. His shot from the edge of the penalty area finishes high in the terracing.

In 42 minutes a twisting run by Cameron makes space for Sinclair. His shot cum-cross completely eludes the 'keeper but drops inches over.

Half-time Dundee I, Hibs 0.

Reflections - Although Hibs looked promising in the opening exchanges, Dundee have gradually gained the upper hand.


In the first minute of the second half McKimmie almost lets Hibs in. He heads a pass-back too subtly and Geddes had to make a brave dive at the feet of Rae.

In 51 minutes Murray should have opened for Hibs when he has a free header at goal after a Paterson knock-on. He puts the ball right at Geddes.

Two minutes later Mackie robs McNamara in midfield and rounds Paterson, but the big defender gallops down field and clears his line.

CALLACHAN equalises in 56 minutes. He outstrips the Dundee defence after a through ball by Flavell to place his shot in the corner past the stranded Geddes. A minute later McLaren replaces MacLeod.

Hibs have strong claims for a penalty denied after Cameron seems to block a Murray shot with his hands in 59 minutes.

In 61 minutes Fraser almost scores a second from 30 yards. He is already turning away to celebrate when the ball hits the inside of the post and spins clear.

A Murray effort from the edge of the penalty area has Geddes beaten, but flies about a foot wide in 63 minutes.

Ferguson almost regains the lead for Dundee with an angled shot which just goes wide.

Dundee bring on Fleming for Ferguson in 79 minutes. Fraser shows his frustration by shooting well wide from 40 yards in 80 minutes.

A minute later CALLACHAN gets his second and puts Hibs in the lead.

A good cross by Flavell finds him at the post. In a crush of defenders he bravely dives forward to head home.

Callachan is stretchered off and is replaced by Rice. A minute later Kidd is replaced by Stephen.

Sub Rice should have done better when he finds him self with space in the box to shoot after a good run by Murray. His shot, in 84 minutes poses no threat.

In a grandstand finish, STEPHEN levels in 87 minutes after a Mackie corner from the left. He is left the simplest of tasks to knock it in.

Final-Dundee 2, Hibs 2.

Summing-up - A draw was the fairest result, but for this Dundee would have been looking for two points.

Match report written by The Sporting Post

Squad Statistics (as at March 20th, 1982)

1981-82 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)21 25 - 56 -
Jim Smith20 9191
George McGeachie23 3021267
Danny Cameron28 302302
Bobby Glennie24 34 - 1852
Stewart McKimmie19 13 - 31 -
Cammy Fraser24 2746511
Peter Mackie24 2959712
Albert Kidd20 291291
Eric Sinclair28 22524585
Iain Ferguson19 30115617
Ian Fleming (sub)29 235519
Ray Stephen (sub)19 2144812

League Table (as at March 20th, 1982)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Today we welcome Hibs to Dens Park, our promotion rivals from last season who have fared slightly better in the Premier League this year than we have. This speaks volumes for the hard work put in by manager Bertie Auld, his staff and players.

The Premier League is a very difficult league at any time but the first season in the league is even more difficult as we have found to our cost this season. But today we must be hopeful of getting something from Hibs if we are to retain our present status in the league.

The game against Aberdeen on Wednesday was a great anti-climax after our run of four points from our last three away games. As I have pointed out to the supporters many times, we must be patient because at the present side we are rebuilding the side. It is difficult to do this in any league far less the Premier League.

The tactics we employed in the last three away games worked very well but I feel it must be said that a lot of our support at Dens on Wednesday could not understand why we were not attacking Aberdeen because we were the home side. Unfortunately, this "got to" one or two of our players and the discipline and applica tion we had shown in our previous matches was missing.

Today we must try to put this right and make sure our appli cation is for 90 minutes because I can assure our supporters Hibs won't be coming here to do us any favours.

It was a blow to have to make changes on Wednesday after the side had done well at Airdrie but this was inevitable as Stuart McKimmie and lain Ferguson were injured.

Our injury problems appeared to be clearing up until last week. What our supporters must remember is that we have been playing without MacDonald, Barr, Sinclair, and now Ferguson and McKimmie. I am sure if our rivals of Wednesday were to lose the services of Miller, Hewitt, McGhee, Kennedy and Strachan they would not be such an effective unit. But we cannot use that as an excuse.

What we must all do, every one at Dens, is work together to keep Dundee in the Premier League. I am appealing to you, our supporters, to get behind the Dark Blues today and give them the lift they need to overcome Hibs.