Dundee United 1
Dundee 1
League (Premier Division)

Dundee Utd 

1 - 1


League (Premier Division)
Wednesday, March 10th, 1982
Tannadice Park
Attendance: 13,790
7:30 PM Kick-off

Stewart McKimmie (o.g.) (40) Iain Ferguson (pen.) (28)

Team Managers
Jim McLean Donald Mackay

Starting Eleven
1. Hamish McAlpine
2. John Holt
3. Derek Stark
4. Maurice Malpas
5. Dave Narey
6. Paul Hegarty
7. Iain Phillip
8. Eamonn Bannon
9. Ralph Milne
10. Paul Sturrock
11. Davie Dodds
Bobby Geddes .1
Stewart McKimmie .2
Chic McLelland .3
Cammy Fraser .4
Jim Smith .5
Bobby Glennie .6
Iain Ferguson .7
Albert Kidd .8
Ian Fleming .9
George McGeachie .10
Peter Mackie .11

12. Ian Gibson
14. John Reilly
Danny Cameron .12
Ray Stephen .14

None. Ray Stephen for Albert Kidd (63)
Danny Cameron for Ian Fleming (70)

None. Iain Ferguson (36)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

David Syme (Rutherglen) (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee gained a precious survival point in a hard-fought but undistinguished derby at Tannadice Park last night. The frozen fans got plenty to shout about in the first half when the goals went in. The second period fell away badly when the wind got even fiercer.

All through, United had more of the play and more chances without showing their old rhythm.

It was battling Dundee who took a shock lead from an Iain Ferguson penalty kick.

Then came the only dramatic moment of the night as Stewart McKimmie, under no real pressure, turned a Ralph Milne cross into his own net. It was a tragedy for the young full-back.

That set the scene for what should have been a great second half, with most folk expecting United to storm home on the wind. However, despite all their pressure and a few near things, Dundee were able to hold on for a point that must give them some confidence for the relegation struggle still facing them.

The usual hectic opening brought the usual number of free-kicks, and a couple of warnings-but no danger to either keeper.

A Kidd shot at one end and a Dodds header at the other were well off target.

The home side went much closer in nine minutes. It started with a Malpas run down the left, and a cross touched on by Dodds to the onrushing Milne. It seemed he must score from only four yards out, but Geddes brought off an instinctive but brilliant save.

United followed this up with some insistent pressure. Dundee hadn't yet settled to constructive play. A half-hit shot from Dodds was mopped up easily by Geddes.

But the visitors got in a dangerous attack in 15 minutes, the diving McAlpine just managing to foil Mackie as he went for a Ferguson cross.

A Dodds flick eluded Geddes just afterwards and the ball dropped tantalisingly over the bar, with the keeper at full stretch.

United kept on the attack. A slick pass by Sturrock gave Milne the chance to run through in 23 minutes. He dribbled past several defenders, Glennie surviving a mild penalty claim before Geddes held a weak shot.

Five minutes later came sensation. Following a miracle save by McAlpine from Fleming, the ball was still in the penalty area when Bannon barged into Kidd.

Referee Syme awarded a spot kick without hesitation and Ferguson put the Dens side in front.

This may have been against the trend of play, but it was a real tonic to the visitors and a rude shock to United who had missed some earlier openings and paid the penalty.

Scorer Ferguson was booked in 36 minutes for a foul on Stark, who required treatment.

Five minutes from the interval it was all square thanks to the crazy own goal by McKimmie.

The young full-back panicked when a Milne cross from the right eluded Geddes. McKimmie had plenty of time to clear, but firmly hooked the ball high into his own net.

The excitement was red hot right to the interval. McAlpine dived to an awkward dipping shot from Kidd, eventually pushing the ball for a corner.

United kicked off in the second half with the advantage of the wind, which appeared to get stronger. Hegarty and Holt both went for a Milne corner kick in the first minute, the ball flying over the bar from the former's head.

Dundee survived some pressure and got in a few attacks themselves, but at this stage the wind seemed too strong for both sides.

Bannon had a long-range effort from a Dodds pass in 60 minutes, the ball sweeping past Geddes post.

Two minutes later Dundee had a stroke of real luck as Milne smashed a 25-yard left foot shot off the post with the diving keeper beaten.

The visitors brought on Stephen for Kidd in 63 minutes.

Too much scrappy, desperate stuff was being played now with United plugging away in attack, Dundee battling bravely in defence and trying to break out on occasions. One McAlpine clearance bounced over Geddes bar without a player getting near the ball.

Dundee threw Cameron into the fray in place of Fleming, who appeared to have trouble with his vision after a head clash earlier.

Milne chested down a ball to give Dodds an opening, but Davie's shot went straight to the keeper. Soon after a Bannon header did likewise.

McKimmie had a go at the other end from a Stephen pass without troubling McAlpine.

In the final ten minutes Dundee were hard pressed to keep out the home team. Geddes had to save well from a Holt header then Hegarty shot past from six yards.

Even Tannadice players applauded a great Geddes save from a Bannon free kick five minutes from time. Then, in the final minutes Glennie had to clear a Bannon shot from near the line and a Phillip shot went just wide.

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at March 10th, 1982)

1981-82 All Time
Bobby Geddes (GK)21 22 - 53 -
Bobby Glennie24 31 - 1812
Stewart McKimmie19 11 - 28 -
Jim Smith20 6161
George McGeachie23 2721227
Chic McLelland27 14 - 14 -
Cammy Fraser24 242619
Peter Mackie24 2659312
Ian Fleming29 204488
Albert Kidd20 261261
Iain Ferguson19 28115317
Danny Cameron (sub)28 272272
Ray Stephen (sub)19 2034711

League Table (as at March 10th, 1982)

No league table has been added for this season.